• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The future of consumer DACs - What would YOU like to see the most?

Which feature or improvement would you like to see in future consumer DACs?

• Better technical performance (SINAD, dynamic range, ...)

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • More inputs (AES/EBU, I²S, analog line in, phono in, ...)

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • More outputs (subwoofer out, passthrough digital ports, ...)

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • Multichannel outputs & software support (4.0, 5.1, ...)

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • Higher build quality (case, connectors, display, remote...)

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Better industrial design (hardware & software)

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Better user interface (for the device, the USB driver or the remote)

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • Integrated EQ or DSP (including crossover or DIRAC)

Votes: 119 79.9%
  • Other software features (DPLL setting, auto input selection, ...)

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Better quality control and/or support (firmware updates, local service centers, ...)

Votes: 38 25.5%

• Total voters

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd like to see a new consumer interface. S/PIDF and TOS link have bandwidth, distance and/or jitter issues. S/PIDF and TOS are also unidirectional. USB is faster and bidirectional but is only good for a few meters. There are Pro standards based around Ethernet but they are expensive and semi-proprietary.

Gradius

One more thing.
It will be nice that DAC can be bus-powered. USB3 or TB might be enough to provide enough electricity. Additional PSU seems unnecessary in most cases, unless it need to drive electrostatic earphones.

BAD idea. That means adding noise from ground loop, no thanks.

Gradius

I'd like to see a new consumer interface. S/PIDF and TOS link have bandwidth, distance and/or jitter issues. S/PIDF and TOS are also unidirectional. USB is faster and bidirectional but is only good for a few meters. There are Pro standards based around Ethernet but they are expensive and semi-proprietary.

USB has a lot problems like jitter, background noise, installing drivers (specially if the driver isn't well made), and others.

If you need distance, you can use USB extender (50m) for under $45:

60 meters:

Svet

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC FS has everything covered nicely, thanks!

P1290898.jpg
Hi, what brand are the devices on the ADI-2 ?

Geert

Major Contributor
Notice to all manufacturers. From 2023 on; by default a broken panther for each new DAC costing more than 500$ with less than 3 outputs and no EQ/DSP.

RosalieTheDog

Analog sources are an oddity for most: DACs are there for all inputs (TV, streamer), and are already used as preamp. Hence: eARC input, quality remote instead of plastic afterthought, DSP (at the least channel balance and basic tone control), subwoofer-out, auto input switch (priority TV or streamer), trigger-out to power amplifier.

I am more hesitant about integrating streamer, very often the app sucks, hardware companies aren't good at making software etc.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since DACs often take the place of preamplifiers, a balance control knob might be nice.

Fewer and dimmer glowing lights, could be an optional setting.

No proprietary drivers or apps required to utilize all features, because if a manufacturer tries to play the obsolescence game with me, I'll switch brands.

oversky

With digital crossover and Class-D amplifers on active speakers,
it's better to feed digital signal into speakers directly.
I wish my next speakers can connect via USB or Ethernet without an external DAC.

VARIOUS CONNECTIVITY OPTIONS - Comes with a plethora of connectivity options including USB-C audio that can be connected to your laptops / desktop computer / gaming consoles, wireless audio streaming from your mobile devices with Bluetooth 5.0, built-in 3.5 mm headset and microphone jacks for when you need to attend online work calls, and a standard 3.5 mm AUX-in port for any of your universal analogue devices

https://www.whathifi.com/news/jbl-4...ookshelf-speaker-with-hi-res-streaming-skills
Six inputs handle digital and analogue sources. There's Ethernet, Google Chromecast Built-in, Apple AirPlay 2 and good old Bluetooth. You can also physically connect external sources via asynchronous USB, optical digital and 3.5mm inputs.

https://www.genelec.com/smart-ip
Smart IP is every installer’s dream: a range of networked active loudspeaker systems that deliver exceptional audio, power and sophisticated loudspeaker management via a single CAT cable.

Last edited:

AML

For me definately a better dac for AV receivers. They always get bad reiews when compared to headphone dacs/amps. So I would really love a good 7.1 USB dac to go between my PC and my AV Amp.

Saponetto

So, the final DAC should be a sort of hybridation between a top-class DAC and a glorious old-school analog Preamplifier?
Hmmm... never thought about, but it honestly tickles me...:)

Vortex

For me the most important feature would be USB-Type-C data+power connection, via supporint USB-PD (Power Deliver).

USB PD's first iteration could already feed any kind of DACs with enough power (~100W if I'm not mistaken), however with USB-PD 3.1 specs allowing 240W power delivery I really don't see the need of those bulky power cords on my tidy desk.

This also applies to a low-moderate powered amplifier as well. With daisy-chaining lol.

I was already wondering why my E30 has to occupy 2 USB connections on my HTPC.. (okay, the power can be any other kind of cable too), why couldn't I just feed the DAC via 1 cable and problem solved for data and power 2-in-1.

I have no issue with a classic DAC (or amp) design holding a fully fledged 110V/230V AC power supply inside because we don't always feed a DAC via PC (see Network players, Raspberry Pi-s, etc)... but pleeeassse add the possibility of USB Type-C input with PD support so in case of I'm somebody who doesn't give a f* about all those snake-oils I can feed the DAC with power + data via 1 single USB Type-C cable, from my motherboard's USB-C (PD) output. Or from my new-gen laptop, same..

All other aspects - I mean mainly my ear+brain complex - are already satisfied, even with the E30. (I love AKM).

Cheers :)

OP
RandomEar

RandomEar

For me the most important feature would be USB-Type-C data+power connection, via supporint USB-PD (Power Deliver).

USB PD's first iteration could already feed any kind of DACs with enough power (~100W if I'm not mistaken), however with USB-PD 3.1 specs allowing 240W power delivery I really don't see the need of those bulky power cords on my tidy desk.

This also applies to a low-moderate powered amplifier as well. With daisy-chaining lol.

I was already wondering why my E30 has to occupy 2 USB connections on my HTPC.. (okay, the power can be any other kind of cable too), why couldn't I just feed the DAC via 1 cable and problem solved for data and power 2-in-1.

I have no issue with a classic DAC (or amp) design holding a fully fledged 110V/230V AC power supply inside because we don't always feed a DAC via PC (see Network players, Raspberry Pi-s, etc)... but pleeeassse add the possibility of USB Type-C input with PD support so in case of I'm somebody who doesn't give a f* about all those snake-oils I can feed the DAC with power + data via 1 single USB Type-C cable, from my motherboard's USB-C (PD) output. Or from my new-gen laptop, same..

All other aspects - I mean mainly my ear+brain complex - are already satisfied, even with the E30. (I love AKM).

Cheers :)
While USB PD specifies up to 100 W (5 A* 20 V) in the current revision with 240 W on the horizon, the sources most DACs/amps will be connected to - PC mainboards - don't deliver that. As far as I'm aware, typical desktop mainboards deliver 15 W (5 V * 3 A) over USB C. That should still be enough for many DACs, but certainly not for amplifiers. Therefore, I wouldn't blame the amp manufacturers in this case, but for DACs, it would be a convenient option. And I think two USB C connectors for power and data could work for amps, so that may be a solution for those devices.

Another thing to keep in mind, though: From the POV of a manufacturer, you would lose control over the noise/ripple performance of the PSU, if you allowed users to connect their own USB C bricks. That may be an argument against switching to USB power for some manufacturers.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Another thing to keep in mind, though: From the POV of a manufacturer, you would lose control over the noise/ripple performance of the PSU, if you allowed users to connect their own USB C bricks. That may be an argument against switching to USB power for some manufacturers.
The Same way manufactures have no control over noise/ripple performance of the mains / power grid.

I'm looking for the DAC version of the One Ring. One DAC ...to bring together all other digital sources, and in the darkness bind them.

With some nice EQing and pretty VU metering, of course.

Bluetooth connectivity and SACD support would be nice. Either HDMI or a doodad that extracts DSD audio from HDMI in a way the DAC is happy with.

Top Bottom