• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The future doesn't seem hopeful for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSS

I feel like the future is just disappointing, like no hope for us. I currently feel like life has 2 stages, Childhood wonder (0-20) and New adult (20-30). A good chunk of this start thread is just whining but innovations & changes are made because of people whining.

When my father was a child in my eighties, it was awesome. Cars were made using computers and car companies were happy to make new car ideas to see if there was a market for that idea. Electronics had more love put into them compared to nowadays (Although most 80s audio products was badly priced, like wow). The music was great (From all genres, from Rock to Jazz). Every year, the hope was great and nobody had much worries. The movies were made freely without any censorship worries. TV shows were a hit or a miss.

When my father was a adult in the 1990s, it was still great. The music was still great and there was new music trends/beats. Cars evolved well, compact V6 engines can rival V8s from yester-decade, aero body curves, flowing interiors, etc. The market was doing well and the prices made sense. The internet evolved fast and changed things for the better. Society became even less sensitive. New movies were still good. TV shows got more effort/funding put into them.

Well in my view, the 2000s-early 2010s was amazing. Cars became more plastic but still evolved well. Car companies still tested new ideas. The music was great. Live action movies became more meh but the animated/CGI movies got better. Tech got better/powerful and the jump from one new tech to another new tech was big (Ex: PS2 to PS3) (Ex: CRT to Thick Flatscreens) (Ex: 3G to LTE). Society got less even sensitive. The internet was, let's say wild and free. Even more TV ideas were tested. Flipphones were cool and were compact. Netflix was actually a good place to watch stuff. Home theater/Home audio got better.

Today (~2017 to future). It just sucks mostly. Every new car is more based on gov't laws, What people think they want (Ex: Crossovers),etc. Cars are made so cheap that there is Plastic waterpumps and CVTs are replacing reliable Automatics. Although modern basic-trim 4-cylinder cars can match 2000s top-tier muscle cars. Tech doesn't evolve that much. 4K is amazing but 8K just seems meh, like we hit a peak. The jump from PS4 to PS5, introduced not much new to the table. Society (and the internet) feels more sensitive. Speaker of internet, it feels so divided. Movies are made based on milking money and if its censored in "x" country. Most music is just awful (Imo: Expect for the Weeknd). Computers didn't really change in the past 5 years. There is so many weird food products like "Skittles Drink Mix". Once healthy-ised food products are now more unhealthy then the "normal" product (Ex: Chips). Good TV shows are canned while cheap-to-make shows remain. Smart phones are just meh, they only get faster, that's it. "Corporate Memphis" is a terrible life-less & creative-less style bleeding into everything. Video games are getting more soul-less (Ex: Loot crates). The best big change was audio, its so easy and cheap to get a CD-quality experience. Although movies are more strict in creativity, the home audio experience has gotten better (Ex: Hearing rain drops above your head from John Wicks Dolby Atmos). Every day, there always something stupid (All news, not just mainstream) happening that can affect my livelihood.

So that's how I feel.

Edit: I thought this thread was deleted but I am thankful its not. It was moved from Fun topic to news/info, which is fine.
Can image your feeling. Being 75 now. But the impression is not mine. Living all these decades watching the technological evolution a an technichian I can say that much is today better than it was in the past. Cars can have much more milage without service or defects. Due to more plastics they don't rust anymore that much as in the 60ies and 70ies. I had some BMW cars which had rust after 4 years of service. And I used data transmission with slow modems then up to hi-speed internet today. Slow computers with DOS and almost no graphical representation up to full graphical user interface. Further, mobile phones for everybody was not forseeable in the early days. It was just CB radio. Or another topic is healthcare. Without the development in pharmaceutics we could not have Corona vaccine. And so on. But right, when getting old use the time left in a wise way.

Last edited:

SSS

I plead for a speed limit of 130 km/h. And I'm annoyed that it wasn't introduced long ago. One should be wiser today.
Would not be bad when the penality would not be so hard like in Switzerland even when there was a small overshoot. Driving in France with the limit is horrible, always looking to the speedometer not to go faster than allowed. This is no fun.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do feel like 130 mph would be enough really( 210 km/h). I'd settle for 200 km/h (125 mph) I suppose.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Would not be bad when the penality would not be so hard like in Switzerland even when there was a small overshoot. Driving in France with the limit is horrible, always looking to the speedometer not to go faster than allowed. This is no fun.
Yes, one could argue about the optimal speed. In principle, I think a limit is relaxed. In France, I mostly switch on the automatic speed control.

notsodeadlizard

I feel like the future is just disappointing, like no hope for us. I currently feel like life has 2 stages, Childhood wonder (0-20) and New adult (20-30). A good chunk of this start thread is just whining but innovations & changes are made because of people whining.

When my father was a child in my eighties, it was awesome. Cars were made using computers and car companies were happy to make new car ideas to see if there was a market for that idea. Electronics had more love put into them compared to nowadays (Although most 80s audio products was badly priced, like wow). The music was great (From all genres, from Rock to Jazz). Every year, the hope was great and nobody had much worries. The movies were made freely without any censorship worries. TV shows were a hit or a miss.

When my father was a adult in the 1990s, it was still great. The music was still great and there was new music trends/beats. Cars evolved well, compact V6 engines can rival V8s from yester-decade, aero body curves, flowing interiors, etc. The market was doing well and the prices made sense. The internet evolved fast and changed things for the better. Society became even less sensitive. New movies were still good. TV shows got more effort/funding put into them.

Well in my view, the 2000s-early 2010s was amazing. Cars became more plastic but still evolved well. Car companies still tested new ideas. The music was great. Live action movies became more meh but the animated/CGI movies got better. Tech got better/powerful and the jump from one new tech to another new tech was big (Ex: PS2 to PS3) (Ex: CRT to Thick Flatscreens) (Ex: 3G to LTE). Society got less even sensitive. The internet was, let's say wild and free. Even more TV ideas were tested. Flipphones were cool and were compact. Netflix was actually a good place to watch stuff. Home theater/Home audio got better.

Today (~2017 to future). It just sucks mostly. Every new car is more based on gov't laws, What people think they want (Ex: Crossovers),etc. Cars are made so cheap that there is Plastic waterpumps and CVTs are replacing reliable Automatics. Although modern basic-trim 4-cylinder cars can match 2000s top-tier muscle cars. Tech doesn't evolve that much. 4K is amazing but 8K just seems meh, like we hit a peak. The jump from PS4 to PS5, introduced not much new to the table. Society (and the internet) feels more sensitive. Speaker of internet, it feels so divided. Movies are made based on milking money and if its censored in "x" country. Most music is just awful (Imo: Expect for the Weeknd). Computers didn't really change in the past 5 years. There is so many weird food products like "Skittles Drink Mix". Once healthy-ised food products are now more unhealthy then the "normal" product (Ex: Chips). Good TV shows are canned while cheap-to-make shows remain. Smart phones are just meh, they only get faster, that's it. "Corporate Memphis" is a terrible life-less & creative-less style bleeding into everything. Video games are getting more soul-less (Ex: Loot crates). The best big change was audio, its so easy and cheap to get a CD-quality experience. Although movies are more strict in creativity, the home audio experience has gotten better (Ex: Hearing rain drops above your head from John Wicks Dolby Atmos). Every day, there always something stupid (All news, not just mainstream) happening that can affect my livelihood.

So that's how I feel.

Edit: I thought this thread was deleted but I am thankful its not. It was moved from Fun topic to news/info, which is fine.
Welcome to a real midlife crisis!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
why bother with the now, let alone with the future?

remember, remember...the 21st of december?
well, some say poop actually hit the fan with Harambe's death, but it all ended 4 years earlier :p

SSS

Yes, one could argue about the optimal speed. In principle, I think a limit is relaxed. In France, I mostly switch on the automatic speed control.
Tried this too. But when not all cars have absolutely the same speed controlled then either you are too narrow on the car in front of you or you are too slow and other little faster cars turn into your lane in front of you. Therefore I don't use the automatic speed control and do it by brain.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried this too. But when not all cars have absolutely the same speed controlled then either you are too narrow on the car in front of you or you are too slow and other little faster cars turn into your lane in front of you. Therefore I don't use the automatic speed control and do it by brain.
If you have adaptive cruise control, it makes a world of difference. You set the speed you want, and a radar unit keeps you behind anyone going slower at a safe distance. If the road clears, it speeds up to the setting. It also speeds up or slows down maintaining distance if the traffic you are behind is not at a constant speed.

SSS

If you have adaptive cruise control, it makes a world of difference. You set the speed you want, and a radar unit keeps you behind anyone going slower at a safe distance. If the road clears, it speeds up to the setting. It also speeds up or slows down maintaining distance if the traffic you are behind is not at a constant speed.
OK, this is of course an improvement. But I use relatively old cars without too much electronics and which I can repair a lot myself.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I look at the opportunities and the potential life my kids have, and the world they will live in - it's alien to me, exciting, amazing.
I look at the opportunities and the life my parents had and the world they grew up in - it's alien to me, exciting, amazing.
I think about how my world has changed - what I've lost, what I've gained, what I've learned. Some of it's been Schiit ... some amazing.

Perspective, innit

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The past is gone. The future doesn't exist yet. All we have is right now.
This is a science forum, you can’t just say that :facepalm:;) The judgement is till out of this one. Perceptual your right though :)

As for cars: we now have the most reliable and safest cars ever made. What more would you want?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly at least in the US, the new V8 engines have vastly more horsepower than the old ones. And yes, the new cars have less chance of being a death trap.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The old V8s surely did not live up to this:

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With such topics, the intercultural differences between the USA and Europe once again become very clear.
You have some rather powerful V8s, too. And don't think all the cars here have V8s anymore: most are modest 4 cylinder.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I supercharged my Elise. The 180hp was a bit anemic, it's now 340hp :D

JayGilb

Major Contributor
You have some rather powerful V8s, too. And don't think all the cars here have V8s anymore: most are modest 4 cylinder.
Come visit redneck country sometime where everyone drives jacked up v8, v10 trucks with near straight pipe exhausts and the need to stomp it taking off from every stop sign.
Almost as fun as having a quiet afternoon ruined by the non-stop roar of Harleys driven by obese bankers and other city folk who only step outside of their perfectly manicured lawns on perfectly sunny days so they can drive country roads and save GPS coordinates for when it comes time to pack up the family and buy pumpkins.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Come visit redneck country sometime where everyone drives jacked up v8, v10 trucks with near straight pipe exhausts and the need to stomp it taking off from every stop sign.
Almost as fun as having a quite afternoon ruined by the non-stop roar of Harleys driven by obese bankers and other city folk who only step outside of their perfectly manicured lawns on perfectly sunny days so they can drive country roads and save GPS coordinates for when it comes time to pack up the family to come out and buy pumpkins.
Yes, well, then there's that part of the US ;) And I like going around corners, which makes me sui generis almost anywhere.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yes, well, then there's that part of the US ;) And I like going around corners, which makes me sui generis almost anywhere.
Most of the counties in West-Central Wisconsin used 1 mile square grids when laying out roads, but my county of Trempealeau decided it was easier to just follow and pave the cow paths between each village. Makes for a fantastic drive if you like cornering.

JSmith

Master Contributor
WhisperedDapperIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

were-not-gonna-make-it-terminator2.gif

WarlikeScarceBufflehead-size_restricted.gif

JSmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom