• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The future doesn't seem hopeful for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be 70 next week.

There are "more choices" now.

Choose wisely.
We're almost exactly 6 years apart... 64 in a couple of weeks and I agree 100%.
When my father was a adult in the 1990s, it was still great. The music was still great and there was new music trends/beats. Cars evolved well, compact V6 engines can rival V8s from yester-decade...
I think you are demonstrating selective memory. Any basic Honda Civic will crush virtually every car sold between 1975 and 1985... those cars were horrible.

While I enjoy vintage audio gear, there is no comparison in performance. Today for a fairly modest sum you can get an amazing system and with streaming, you have a massive musical library at your finger tips that is better than any of the the radio stations' libraries that I worked in as a kid.

There are problems to be sure, but no... I am not itching for the way back machine.

fcracer

Forum Donor
I've not been to those places. It seems that way to me however. USA growing up in the 1960's seemed amazing and optimistic and like the future could only be incredible. It seems those places you mention have this feeling about life and the future now.

Also hard to displace your feelings from your age. I'm pretty sure things aren't quite so bleak seeming to young people as to older people. I remember really old people, like in their 60s (like me now) complaining about how badly things were going even as I thought "are they crazy, things are only getting better".
Another big positive change that has happened over time is global poverty has gone down a lot. Most likely due to China and India:

world-poverty-rate-2023-04-27-macrotrends.png

Attribution: World Poverty Rate 1981-2023

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes, you’re getting old.

And irrelevant. Time to reinvent yourself. The future generation needs a better you.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
So that's how I feel.
As someone who's 55, it's hard to imagine what life is like for someone who grew up with so many more choices than I had. Choices in music, movies, books, the ability to search the internet for new knowledge, binge watch TV shows on demand from numerous providers, fire up a game over the internet for a subscription price, etc. When I was a kid there were 3 networks and PBS and two UHF stations in the 80's. My local library was anemic. My parents Encyclopedia collection was a decade old.

If you were an intelligent kid, it was almost impossible to satisfy your thirst for knowledge. And I grew up in an affluent, upper middle class family and went to a great school system. Most of the women in my family were educators for several generations. I was privileged but "poor" compared to today.

You have millions of choices on how to spend your time. And the Bell Curve is still a fact because human nature hasn't changed. There are a few horrid things being produced and few wonderful things being produced - and an overwhelming number of mediocre things being produced. But you have access to more options than any other human has ever had in hundreds of thousands of years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

I feel like the future is just disappointing, like no hope for us. I currently feel like life has 2 stages, Childhood wonder (0-20) and New adult (20-30). A good chunk of this start thread is just whining but innovations & changes are made because of people whining.

When my father was a child in my eighties, it was awesome. Cars were made using computers and car companies were happy to make new car ideas to see if there was a market for that idea. Electronics had more love put into them compared to nowadays (Although most 80s audio products was badly priced, like wow). The music was great (From all genres, from Rock to Jazz). Every year, the hope was great and nobody had much worries. The movies were made freely without any censorship worries. TV shows were a hit or a miss.

When my father was a adult in the 1990s, it was still great. The music was still great and there was new music trends/beats. Cars evolved well, compact V6 engines can rival V8s from yester-decade, aero body curves, flowing interiors, etc. The market was doing well and the prices made sense. The internet evolved fast and changed things for the better. Society became even less sensitive. New movies were still good. TV shows got more effort/funding put into them.

Well in my view, the 2000s-early 2010s was amazing. Cars became more plastic but still evolved well. Car companies still tested new ideas. The music was great. Live action movies became more meh but the animated/CGI movies got better. Tech got better/powerful and the jump from one new tech to another new tech was big (Ex: PS2 to PS3) (Ex: CRT to Thick Flatscreens) (Ex: 3G to LTE). Society got less even sensitive. The internet was, let's say wild and free. Even more TV ideas were tested. Flipphones were cool and were compact. Netflix was actually a good place to watch stuff. Home theater/Home audio got better.

Today (~2017 to future). It just sucks mostly. Every new car is more based on gov't laws, What people think they want (Ex: Crossovers),etc. Cars are made so cheap that there is Plastic waterpumps and CVTs are replacing reliable Automatics. Although modern basic-trim 4-cylinder cars can match 2000s top-tier muscle cars. Tech doesn't evolve that much. 4K is amazing but 8K just seems meh, like we hit a peak. The jump from PS4 to PS5, introduced not much new to the table. Society (and the internet) feels more sensitive. Speaker of internet, it feels so divided. Movies are made based on milking money and if its censored in "x" country. Most music is just awful (Imo: Expect for the Weeknd). Computers didn't really change in the past 5 years. There is so many weird food products like "Skittles Drink Mix". Once healthy-ised food products are now more unhealthy then the "normal" product (Ex: Chips). Good TV shows are canned while cheap-to-make shows remain. Smart phones are just meh, they only get faster, that's it. "Corporate Memphis" is a terrible life-less & creative-less style bleeding into everything. Video games are getting more soul-less (Ex: Loot crates). The best big change was audio, its so easy and cheap to get a CD-quality experience. Although movies are more strict in creativity, the home audio experience has gotten better (Ex: Hearing rain drops above your head from John Wicks Dolby Atmos). Every day, there always something stupid (All news, not just mainstream) happening that can affect my livelihood.

So that's how I feel.

Edit: I thought this thread was deleted but I am thankful its not. It was moved from Fun topic to news/info, which is fine.
I'd tend to agree with most of what you write.
But I'm not oblivious to the bias I have when I'm getting older as well so I remind myself to look at things that's gotten better instead of things that's gotten worse.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I often feel like Buck Rogers or Rip Van Winkel in that I was asleep for a long time and woke up in a world I no longer recognize.

The only good thing about living in the future is the big televisions, and even that is offset by the fact that there's very little new content worth watching on them.

Cars last longer now? Big deal.

it's okay for the youngsters as they have no frame of reference.

The past is another country.

Yes I'm getting old and accept that's a part of it. But I think we have lost a lot - mostly intangibles but it's the intangibles that matter most - and gained very little.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I often feel like Buck Rogers or Rip Van Winkel in that I was asleep for a long time and woke up in a world I no longer recognize.

The only good thing about living in the future is the big televisions, and even that is offset by the fact that there's very little new content worth watching on them.

Cars last longer now? Big deal.

it's okay for the youngsters as they have no frame of reference.

The past is another country.

Yes I'm getting old and accept that's a part of it. But I think we have lost a lot - mostly intangibles but it's the intangibles that matter most - and gained very little.
There probably are some new intangibles you don't even recognize or see. Lose a little, gain a little. Live and Learn. Die and forget it all!

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Poverty has gone"
This was before Covid.
Now millions of people died, life expectancy is shorter in many countries, and food shortage is at the menu thanks to Russia attacking Ukraine.
What is next?

About our hobby we got the components shortage followed by AVR price bumping up.
Hopefully a bunch of new AVR are coming to the market.
Let us hope that Amir will measure a good one and that next Black Friday the rebates will be huges.
Last year I looked without success for a rebate regarding the Onkyo RZ50.
This year I will look for the RZ70.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Please don’t forget that not all intangibles back then were good intangibles.

If you truly care about the future, embrace the present. Not the past. You didn’t care for the past of your parents yourself. Why would anyone have to care for yours?

Do it for the future generation. I mean it. They need you. But not for your rose-tinted memories of vintage car tech.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Where ya gonna drive it?

Green hell.
Nordschleife
Die Nordschleife ist der 1927 eröffnete und älteste Teil der Rennstrecke Nürburgring in der Eifel. Volkstümlich wird sie oft „Der Ring" oder „Die grüne Hölle" genannt.Wikipedia (DE)

;)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I think you are being unnecessarily pessimistic. I am 51, and I remember a time when:

- there was a real threat of nuclear annihilation. By the time I was a teen in the 1980's it was diminishing.
- terrorist attacks were a regular occurrence. There were all the regular Palestinian ones, but also IRA, Basque Liberationists, etc. And of course, 11/9.
- there is much less famine. I grew up looking at posters of starving kids in Biafra whose bellies were bloated from Kwashiorkor. Who remembers this picture?

sudan.jpg

And since you talk about cars, modern cars are heavier and more plasticky - this is true. But they are also more fuel efficient, accelerate much faster, quieter, safer, and more reliable than cars of the 80's. My aging dad still has his late 80's Mercedes S Class which he loves, but that car does not hold a candle to my modern C class hybrid which is superior in every way except styling and build quality. It is even more spacious.

I disagree, I think the future looks wonderful.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP, I think what’s really changed is you. :) Don’t sweat it, it happens to a lot of people. It’s hard to match the sense of wonder of encountering stuff for the very first time, whereas successive improvements may feel kind of stale by comparison. Too much sustained peace, prosperity and stability has got people feeling restless?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
As I was taught, stand up, belly in, chin up now walk like you have a meaning in life. Eat well, get out in the sun, and walk a bit.

REPEAT!

I have chickens my wife got, a goat that wound up here as a favor, a rabbit that hopped up in the yard and a dog someone dropped off because
he thought I missed my pup that passed on.

I went from being depressed, to being too busy to be depressed in about ONE month, 6 years ago. :)

IF your hanging out with like minded people QUIT. It's kind of like hanging out at a barbershop, eventually you will get a haircut. Ask quality questions,
you normally get quality answers.

I like Eeyore, the problem is his tail falls off.

Regards

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don't want to get really into the topic, because I can be more than satisfied with my life. Cars, computer games, TV series or something like that are completely boring things for me anyway. They do not represent the quality of life.
Nevertheless, the future doesn't necessarily look bright in my eyes. Pollution, extinction of species, climate change, wars but also social trends like illiberal regression, cancel culture, I find threatening. However, I am already so old (73) that I can no longer expect a dazzling future anyway, but I cope and try to make the best of it. :)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Almost every country has race tracks where clubs host track days. Also, every country has winding twisty roads that you could enjoy a car like this without even going very fast. I think heaven is something like driving a GT3RS around Tuscany.
When I was young I felt the same way, but the feeling of freedom on the roads was still much better and in Tuscany there was no overtourism yet. Imo Porsche has long since ceased to be what it was. I only like the old 911. (My wife had one)

JSmith

Master Contributor
There on some Autobahn is NO speed limit.
I do love the open freeway... I recall getting a small VW Polo to almost 180km/h over your way, "she'll take no more captain". :cool:

Here we had one freeway that was open speed... now is 130km/h, but most freeways are 110km/h max here otherwise;

JSmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom