• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Floating Platter

Wombat

Master Contributor
Kicsktart

IT'S ALIVE

Seriously, I wonder how vertical, and horizontal, wow and flutter is managed and how cartridges are shielded from magnetic levitation flux?

Any real technical info available?

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta admit, looks damned cool. And I can see why some would feel the cool factor is worth paying for.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
A good job the record deck exists so there was something stationary, electrical and 'lifestyle' they could suspend a rotating something over. The world needs levitating rotating somethings.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's kinda wobbly, which detracts from the experience...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There was another video review of the Mag-Lev, and in the comments section a former Mag-Lev owner leaves a scathing review of all the problems he encountered before giving up on it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's a toy... Nothing more...

Waiting for room temperature superconductors, myself...

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's a toy... Nothing more...

Waiting for room temperature superconductors, myself...

Waiting for a new model Mag-Lev to appear with inbuilt cryogenic treatment of vinyl. The sound might be 'brittle', though. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I once had a Stanton IsoPoise turntable which had a magnetically suspended platter and, as far as that goes, it did it well. Unfortunately, the tonearm mounting was not similarly supported and, as a result, the two reacted differently to external forces...............................and that's not good.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The wow from the platter moving up and down as it rotates will be phenomenal. Flutter could be low, depending on how they have driven the platter.

It clearly is more about the look and the 'fun' of it. Would make a great visual display in the front window of a HiFi store (if you can find a B&M store)

Zerimas

I've always been suspicious of this thing. Yes, it does look cool, but I feel like the wobbling isn't going to do you any favours if your goal is "accurate" reproduction.

Top Bottom