• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The facemask thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume everyone is being responsible and wearing masks in public. That said, have you found any you like?

Mask-making is one way clothiers are trying to stay afloat. Right now rotate between one I was given at the hospital when our youngest daughter was born and one my mom made for me. I'm thinking masks might be the pocket square of the business casual era for the next couple years: an inexpensive way to add some visual flair. I've received emails about masks from a few clothiers:

Sid Mashburn. I missed the first run but have a couple on preorder. Price is currently $20 each with code "PREVAIL," which I think applies to the whole site.

Martin Greenfield. Old line Brooklyn clothing maker, makes the top Brooks Brothers suits. Sells a 6-pack for $108.

Face Mask Aid. From Hertling, another old line Brooklyn clothing maker mostly known for their pants. They make a lot of Sid Mashburn's house brand pants, for example. Theirs are $50 for 5.

Any cool ones that you've found? UK folks, are any of the Jermyn St. shirtmakers selling masks now?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think putting a filter in the mask is effective. The entire mask has to be made of the material. Otherwise the air just takes the easiest path, around the filter. But i haven't seen any science on it.

Totoro

That’s possible, but I am not totally sure. The way the pm2.5 masks I have work I don’t notice any air coming out anywhere other than straight ahead when I breathe out. I can feel it coming out straight ahead through the filter though. The part outside the filter is basically on your nose and chin. But you could be right.

I agree that real n95 masks would be better. But even some of those have an extra couple layers right where the pm 2.5 filter is on these.

Maxicut

In Australia, almost knowone is wearing a facemask & they have the lowest infection rate in the world.
If you're going to wear a facemask, it needs to have an N-95 or higher rating & you also need to wear glasses, otherwise it's pointless. The easiest place for a virus to enter your body is through your eyes.

Maxicut

My wife made dozens and sent it to all the family. That is what I wear when I go into stores.
Don't worry about the audio, the ones that work are all N-95 rated for aerosol, the others are not.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry about the audio, the ones that work are all N-95 rated for aerosol, the others are not.

That is why I've been wearing the disposable surgical masks (the 2nd one scoring a no passa). Well that and I use them when cutting grass or other home chores. So I had a box of 500 already. As a for instance, I've found when you fit them to your face well, you'll not smell the cut grass. When you pull the mask off the smell of the freshly cut grass smacks you in the nose so to speak. So those simple looking little masks that look like little more than tissue paper do a much better job than any plain fabric mask. They were dirt cheap prior to covid 19.

Maxicut

That is why I've been wearing the disposable surgical masks. Well that and I use them when cutting grass or other home chores. So I had a box of 500 already. As a for instance, I've found when you fit them to your face well, you'll not smell the cut grass. When you pull the mask off the smell of the freshly cut grass smacks you in the nose so to speak. So those simple looking little masks that look like little more than tissue paper do a much better job than any plain fabric mask. They were dirt cheap prior to covid 19.
Get one of your masks & give it a hit of flyspray or something to see if it blocks it. If it doesn't, it's pointless wearing it to stop a virus.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
??? I am wearing it to protect others, not myself. If they return the favor, then we are making progress. I thought this point was obvious.

I have N95 masks (from my woodworking days) but feel bad wearing them, making it look like I took supply away from people who need it most.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My subjective tests showed this design to be the most comfortable so iv adopted it.

0_Joe-Samaan.jpg

Maxicut

??? I am wearing it to protect others, not myself. If they return the favor, then we are making progress. I thought this point was obvious.

I have N95 masks (from my woodworking days) but feel bad wearing them, making it look like I took supply away from people who need it most.
That's obviously thoughtful, but they won't block the virus contained in the aerosol, whether it's coming from or going to the mask, unfortunately. It's the arosol that carries the virus, not the chunkier bits (couldn't think of a better description sorry)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's obviously thoughtful, but they won't block the virus contained in the aerosol, whether it's coming from or going to the mask, unfortunately. It's the arosol that carries the virus, not the chunkier bits (couldn't think of a better description sorry)
Nothing blocks everything, not even N95. It is all a matter of degree. I much rather see someone cough into a mask than into my face directly. I know people debate this to death but I am following CDC recommendations: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

1589866982642.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My subjective tests showed this design to be the most comfortable so iv adopted it.
This reminds of people in store that pull the mask down to talk to you!

Maxicut

This reminds of people in store that pull the mask down to talk to you!
We don't get advised of such rubbish here & the virus in America is out of control. I thought you'd know better? Something either blocks an aerosol, or it doesn't. Nothing sorta kinda blocks an aerosol just because you want it too (reminds me of an audiophile thread lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom