• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The elephant in the room? Objective to what...

Lambda

Major Contributor
I don’t know if it has been addressed but stereo is plant if used right
listen to some good "binaural dummy head recordings"
just search for "ASMR" on YouTube
(just kidding don't do it)

But this only works properly if the dummy head’s transfer function is close to your head transfer function.
and if you don’t move your head. (and listen with headphones)
product_detail_x2_desktop_KU-100-Diagonal_Neumann-Dummy-Head_M.png

Visual equivalent is this:
3D-Camera-Market.jpg

CV8dVAA8d1-yQJyHGgf9R5O_0kr7bYKHYdxkOZeVa04QXdZeZ5X4WATLnyGwggshuLPh1ePg_WKxdTJTyUrmCpLv1JyAmMdtic6MF5Qgk7CrEjLlMgibUlSogLE

if you want to be able to rotate your had and all the sounds your recording are in the "far field" an ambisonic recording is sufficient
sennheiser-sennheiser-ambeo-vr-mic-ambisonic-mikro.jpg

Visual equivalent is this:
maxresdefault.jpg

ss_7d28d8634fb2960bc59d14a2aa334f4b3e49a590.1920x1080.jpg

It is not relay "3D" but you can move your head.
the illusion brakes if things get to closes to the camera.

If you want to be Abel to move your head also laterally and have real 3d depth you need head tracking and a Wavefield recording or light field.
here it gets kind of complicated:

For the 360° you need a spherical sensor array the size of the area of you want to move in.
view

or if your a ok with having a small FOV you can have a planar sensor array
OzX428I8ML1E_93gazzKSVaZG2Rc0zPBoMV8up3ny01mdcuzIQnJTh2CwnXEtFiWMxtXF_2in1nj9_pvavuDoXnyDQvVPGnmQXutxohgORWfHZsDn2hNHQplm1gpIJ3Kfv2gKn5DLsrIXx9kmIujyfQ6uawZes-GGtF1chG6tk5WVn4j7w18s_wpSyU1sD85rux-2g

Your microphone then looks like this
Acoustical-arrays_1180x674.ashx

251ch_array.jpg

But in the end after a lot of processing the delivery format for audio as well as Video is plain old "stereo"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Realistic and accurate music reproduction, even in stereo, can be had for somewhere around $80,000.
Ruh-roh. ;)
I didn't realize it was a physical constant.
Does it change with inflation?
Even if so -- I'd have thought there was a discontinuity in the trend line when decent quality Class D amplifier blocks flooded the market.

2020-Kia-Telluride-SX-V6-AWD-11.jpg

These are in... rather high... demand in the US at least. Maybe ca. $80k, too, come to think of it. Coincidence? ;)

Geert

Major Contributor
I wonder how accurate most $80k systems are...

Fortunately, you can get there for a lot less. The myth that quality sound requires big $$$ is just that...a myth.
With $80k you won't get much further than a streamer and cables ;)

(Have a look at his other video's, including a recent one about his 30k streamer).

billyjoebob

Ruh-roh. ;)
I didn't realize it was a physical constant.
Does it change with inflation?
Even if so -- I'd have thought there was a discontinuity in the trend line when decent quality Class D amplifier blocks flooded the market.

2020-Kia-Telluride-SX-V6-AWD-11.jpg

These are in... rather high... demand in the US at least. Maybe ca. $80k, too, come to think of it. Coincidence? ;)
Beautiful car!
Still not a Ferrari!

Larry B. Larabee

Fortunately, you can get there for a lot less. The myth that quality sound requires big $$$ is just that...a myth.

For those that literally bought into that idea, giving it up can be tough. Hard to tell the wife that about $65k of that $80k I spent was to make charlatans rich.
People spend $50k on an F150 pickup and think nothing of it. I'm talking about serious audiophiles who are unlikely to be swindled. Here's the breakdown:
amplifiers: 24k
preamp:6k
dac:4k
speakers:24k
interconnects/cables:1k
anything else you want:6k
hmm, cheaper than I thought: 65k + tax U.S ( or $140k in Australia but, that's not my problem.)
That gives you what everybody wants Real Live Music All Of The Time.

Or we could do it your way:
benchmark amp (if you can stomach it)
topping dac
revel 106
pick your 2 subwoofers
That gives you what most everbody wants Sort of Live Music Some Of The Time.
In the first case you have nothing to complain about in the second case compromises are made ripe to be picked apart because that's the nature of audiophiles.

Half the people who buy system 2 will end up spending at least twice as much as it cost over the years in upgrading and losses in resale value.

System 1 will last at least 30yrs. and you can sell everything for what you paid.

my 2c

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@Newman 's point is that if you name any aspect of Ferrari performance, we can create an analogy with audio in which you can in fact get that level of performance in the audio equivalent of a Kia. Harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, crosstalk, jitter, linearity, frequency response, power/wattage, and so on - it's possible to assemble a system for a lot less than $80k that can go toe to toe with an $80k system, and conversely it is incredibly easy to spend $80k and end up with a system that vastly underperforms for the price.

Now of course if what you want is very expensive and unusual finishes and other physical/aesthetic design features, then yes - exotic wood veneers on speakers, or the McIntosh blue meters-glass front look or whatever is generally going to command a premium price. But you wrote about Ferrari performance, not Ferrari looks.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People spend $50k on an F150 pickup and think nothing of it. I'm talking about serious audiophiles who are unlikely to be swindled. Here's the breakdown:
hmm, cheaper than I thought: 65k + tax U.S ( or $140k in Australia but, that's not my problem.)

Or we could do it your way:
benchmark amp (if you can stomach it)
topping dac
revel 106
pick your 2 subwoofers
That gives you what most everbody wants Sort of Live Music Some Of The Time.
In the first case you have nothing to complain about in the second case compromises are made ripe to be picked apart because that's the nature of audiophiles.

Half the people who buy system 2 will end up spending at least twice as much as it cost over the years in upgrading and losses in resale value.

System 1 will last at least 30yrs. and you can sell everything for what you paid.

my 2c

I think 2c might be an overvaluation here.

Newman

Major Contributor
Obviously a really good recording is to a live performance as an Ansel Adams picture of the Grand Canyon is to the Grand Canyon itself. Doesn't mean I don't want the Adams though.
IMO Adams’ work is more analogous to the studio engineer’s production AND the composer/musician’s creation, combined.

JRS

Major Contributor

For those that literally bought into that idea, giving it up can be tough. Hard to tell the wife that about $65k of that $80k I spent was to make charlatans rich.
Agreed. I believe that 2 grand will get you some dandy sound and likely represents a max bang for the buck inflection point. IME, the very best sound carries a price tag of 15K to say 40K with 75 percent going to the loudspeakers. Beyond that the trend is asymptotic, and most often money wasted on status symbol or woo woo buys. Where that is not the case are when the room is extremely large and absolutely clean peak volumes of 120dB are sought. That said, there are any number of extraordinary speakers these days that cost 50k, because they can, and not so much that the engineering and parts determine the price, although enclosures milled from solid aluminum or exotic composites requiring large autoclaves and such may not be effectively amortized by the small numbers of product.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Why the hell have I wasted the last 2+ years on Audio Science Review? I should have joined Audio Finance Review! Where one can evaluate the quality of engineering + transparent sound reproduction in audio equipment simply by measuring price.

I think I already found a $4k DAC that is state of the art and provides "Real Live Music All of the Time" ... as long as I ignore the noise and distortion it generates.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Realistic and accurate music reproduction, even in stereo, can be had for somewhere around $80,000.
I don’t think so, no. And if there’s more than a few thousand in electronics there, it was wasted or you are probably departing from neutrality.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Obviously a really good recording is to a live performance as an Ansel Adams picture of the Grand Canyon is to the Grand Canyon itself. Doesn't mean I don't want the Adams though.

AnselAdams_RockFormation_0002_1000px_900x.png
I own several of Ansel Adams' iconic photographs - well printed versions from his original negatives. They are relatively affordable.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the hell have I wasted the last 2+ years on Audio Science Review? I should have joined Audio Finance Review! Where one can evaluate the quality of engineering + transparent sound reproduction in audio equipment simply by measuring price.

I think I already found a $4k DAC that is state of the art and provides "Real Live Music All of the Time" ... as long as I ignore the noise and distortion it generates.
There are some things that simply can not be measured. Amir should include a "Je ne sais quoi" rating for such superb offerings.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a truth universally acknowledged that "serious audiophiles" are never swindled. That is why they also go by the "discerning audiophile" moniker.
-> swindled.
-> swindled
-> swindled
-> penny pincher alert!
-> swindled
-> delusional
and you gave us your deep insight free of charge! Infinite ROI, thanks!

Larry B. Larabee

Good news I managed to pare it down to 55k
dac/pre 8k
amps 22k
speakers 24k
cables 1k
No holds barred sota. You're welcome.

levimax

Major Contributor
RE: Singer in the room illusion. In general I find stereo to be like the old "3-d" viewers.... it adds some depth but also causes eye strain. The most convincing "singer in the room" illusion I get are from old mono recordings (not stereo fold downs) of a "girl and guitar" style of music. I turn off one speaker and move the other speaker to the center of the room. It creates a nice illusion without the brain struggling to create a "phantom center" from 2 point sources. I bet many have never tried listening to "real mono" with a "real mono" recording played on one speaker and would be surprised how well it works for some music (better than stereo or multi-channel).

Top Bottom