• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The elephant in the room? Objective to what...

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cant tell you how many times soundtracks for movies and shows contain music I thought was great while watching, but vastly less impactful when simply listening. There's always 1-2 tracks that are just great no matter what, but when watching the movie, I almost don't notice the soundtrack because it just blends so well with the content. On soundtrack listening exclusively; I'm able to hear and suddenly realize some music just doesn't hold up all that well on it's own.

This usually isn't true for songs, but instrumental music most definitely.

Excellent point! Similarly, I’d be embarrassed to admit the number of times I’ve watched a YouTube music video and thought, “Wow, this must be a different mix or mastering, it sounds great” - only to extract the audio, play it on my main stereo, and find that it’s the regular mix and sounds the same (or sometimes worse if it’s a lossy transcode) than the standard CD or digital file.

In fact, it makes me wonder how much my sonic perception is affected simply by the wall color and room lighting in my listening room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Excellent point! Similarly, I’d be embarrassed to admit the number of times I’ve watched a YouTube music video and thought, “Wow, this must be a different mix or mastering, it sounds great” - only to extract the audio, play it on my main n stereo, and find that it’s the regular mix and sounds the same (or sometimes worse if it’s a lossy transcode) than the standard CD or digital file.

In fact, it makes me wonder how much my sonic perception is affected simply by the wall color and room lighting in my listening room.

Maybe I should liven up my listening setting. Sometimes you'd mistake it for a dungeon with how little light I tend to have running in the first place.

Top Bottom