• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The drums, oh the drums

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Chick Webb at the Savoy would have been fun, especially if Louis happened to be stopping by. Wish I had a video to link to....

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This definitely puts the "kick" in kick drum.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have that original LP but do not have my turntable set up (and no plans to do so). I rarely listen to the track CD, usually just when setting up or tweaking a system, and with time constraints not even then. So not competent to compare; I'll take your word for it.

There are several old Flim and the BB's recordings with good drum tracks on them, though the mix is a little "interesting" on some of them.

I find good drum (and overall sound) on many of the Sheffield Lab recordings. But, I like a lot of the music, met Doug once or twice, and Lincoln several times (he was also a friend of the conductor/pianist of our local orchestra for a while before he passed away). Never met or even saw Amanda, always managed to miss her (rare) appearances.

Yes, Flim & the BB's. Plenty on Youtube to try.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'd forgotten they were tied in with Tom Jung and DMP, explains the good sound from their recordings (well, and they were studio musicians, so having a lot of talent helps!)

Shampton

Try and find a high quality version of Duende by Bozzio Levin Stevens. It gets pretty real for the last two minutes.

Cheers

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'd forgotten they were tied in with Tom Jung and DMP, explains the good sound from their recordings (well, and they were studio musicians, so having a lot of talent helps!)

They were among the earliest digital recording artists. Maybe the second such.

FWIW: https://en.wikipedia-on-ipfs.org/wiki/Flim_and_the_BB's.html

The limited sales (DIGITAL master)self-titled LP is almost unobtanium in reasonable condition and collector priced at that.

I have a vinyl rip copy. I hope that the 3M 50.4kHz master tape still exists and modern electronic wizardry can give us a reissue.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chick Webb at the Savoy would have been fun, especially if Louis happened to be stopping by. Wish I had a video to link to....

One of the Ken Burns Jazz episodes has a bit of video of Chick Webb beating the crap out of Gene Krupa

not that Krupa was bad; no, he was a great drummer

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buddy Miles - The Changes and etc.

Mickey Hart's solo or 'stand apart' albums, e.g. Drumming on the Edge of Magic

any New Orleans second line or brass band albums

scrubb

Forum Donor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom