• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Denon & LG & Apple TV lip sync drama troubleshoot

deejaystu

IDK that it is specific to Denon. It's more of an Apple TV issue when Match Frame is on. I've tried Denon, Marantz, and now Sony. (My TV and receiver is Sony now.) The only way to use Match Frame with no lip-sync issue is to have the Apple TV connected directly to the tv. If its ever moved to behind the receiver, match frame brings lip-sync issues.
I've tried that, by doing so you introduce a delay in the opposite direction, and this time can't be adjusted by the AVR. I.e. when ATV is plugged into AVR, you get a delayed image and you can adjust audio to catch up. However when ATV is plugged into TV you get delayed audio and there's no way to adjust the image.

timmo

Has anyone come up with a long term fix here? Running a LG C2/Denon 3800. New to this thread but having the same issue as everyone else, and have tried the same troubleshooting as everyone else. Here’s what I found works best for me:

1. Keep ATV4k match On/On
2. Denon at Enhanced 4k
3. Denon at Game Mode (bypass works better but I cant stand not seeing my volume display)
4. Denon HDMI Control On
5. Denon ARC off
6. Denon TV Switching off
7. Denon Auto LipSync On with value of 0-15ms depending on app
8. LG CEC set to off (i also get annoying input switching issue when its on)
9. LG SmoothMotion off yields best result but sometimes I turn it on for de-juddering

I feel like theres no perfect solution here, but for some reason I don’t recall having any issues with my 2700h.
I have an LG G2/Denon X1700H/Apple TV 4K (newest version) - and I used to have a lot of lip sync issues. It went away for pretty much everything except Plex, and I’m not sure what made it better (maybe the newest version of Apple TV 4K)?)). When I have issues with Plex lip sync, I use Infuse Pro (which always fixes the problem). Infuse is great for fixing lip sync issues with Plex and to watch 4K movies (Plex struggles with both in my world).

My settings below to compare for your list:

YES
2. Denon at Enhanced 4k
YES
3. Denon at Game Mode (bypass works better but I cant stand not seeing my volume display)
DON’T USE
4. Denon HDMI Control On
YES
5. Denon ARC off
’ON‘ FOR ME (BUT IT’S GRAYED OUT - LOOKS LIKE I CAN’T CHANGE IT)
’ON‘ FOR ME
’OFF’ FOR ME
’ON’ FOR ME (and I know what you’re talking about with input switching issues…I just put with it)
9. LG SmoothMotion off yields best result but sometimes I turn it on for de-juddering
’Smooth Gradation = OFF’, ‘TruMotion = OFF’ (not sure if I’m looking at right place? ‘FILMMAKER MODE Auto Start = ‘ON’)

Hope this helps - I feel your pain! It drove me crazy for months, but doesn’t really impact me anymore except for the Plex app in Apple TV 4K.

deejaystu

I have an LG G2/Denon X1700H/Apple TV 4K (newest version) - and I used to have a lot of lip sync issues. It went away for pretty much everything except Plex, and I’m not sure what made it better (maybe the newest version of Apple TV 4K)?)). When I have issues with Plex lip sync, I use Infuse Pro (which always fixes the problem). Infuse is great for fixing lip sync issues with Plex and to watch 4K movies (Plex struggles with both in my world).

My settings below to compare for your list:

YES
2. Denon at Enhanced 4k
YES
DON’T USE
4. Denon HDMI Control On
YES
5. Denon ARC off
’ON‘ FOR ME (BUT IT’S GRAYED OUT - LOOKS LIKE I CAN’T CHANGE IT)
’ON‘ FOR ME
’OFF’ FOR ME
’ON’ FOR ME (and I know what you’re talking about with input switching issues…I just put with it)
’Smooth Gradation = OFF’, ‘TruMotion = OFF’ (not sure if I’m looking at right place? ‘FILMMAKER MODE Auto Start = ‘ON’)

Hope this helps - I feel your pain! It drove me crazy for months, but doesn’t really impact me anymore except for the Plex app in Apple TV 4K.
Thanks a lot for this, I don't know what exact setting it was but when I was trying to match your settings, something got it back in sync. I suspect turning the Auto Lip Sync to "Off" and turning Arc back to "On" did it. It's weird, seems like there's a delicate dance somewhere within these settings. Most combinations don't work, and some do. I've had intermittent success with lip sync before only to have it go back out of sync so let's see if this combination of settings last.

deejaystu

Thanks a lot for this, I don't know what exact setting it was but when I was trying to match your settings, something got it back in sync. I suspect turning the Auto Lip Sync to "Off" and turning Arc back to "On" did it. It's weird, seems like there's a delicate dance somewhere within these settings. Most combinations don't work, and some do. I've had intermittent success with lip sync before only to have it go back out of sync so let's see if this combination of settings last.

Welp, that didnt last long. It went back out of sync. I ended up returning and exchanging the 3800, because of this issue but also various other issues. Absolutely ridiculous. Hoping to have better luck with the replacement.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Do other brands like Marantz and Yamaha have the same issues?

deejaystu

Welp, that didnt last long. It went back out of sync. I ended up returning and exchanging the 3800, because of this issue but also various other issues. Absolutely ridiculous. Hoping to have better luck with the replacement.
I never had lip sync issues with Yamaha or Onkyo, but I had to deal with different problems. Its a shame because I really love the 3800. But the HDMI issues Ive been having have been over the top. Random input switching, lip syncing almost never aligned, sometimes the AVR would turn off by itself and when I turn it back on the entire amp section doesn’t come back on for 10-15 minutes (the AVR is running at <88 degrees). I know its HDMI related because toggling the HDMI Control setting would sometimes fix the internal amp being unresponsive. Also on top of all that, I would sometimes get a ridiculously loud pop/thump from any speakers or subs connected to the line outs when I would power on the 3800. I tried everything to troubleshoot it. So yeah for all of these reasons I got fed up and requested an exchange from Adorama. Luckily it was still within the return window. Ive been tempted to upgrade to the 4800 or Cinema 40

deejaystu

For anyone wondering, I got the replacement Denon 3800 last week. Lip Sync issues, as well as all the other HDMI issues I was having are completely gone. Very pleased with the new unit, it’s running flawlessly and Ive waited a bit of time to report back here. So it seems as though I had a faulty HDMI board with the last unit, or something related. With this new unit, I just leave the auto lip sync on and it adjusts the with the Apple TV (and other devices) automatically. Also, no more weird behavior and loud pops as well I was having as well.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI... The root of all evil!!

Top Bottom