• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Death of Windows 10

Trell

Major Contributor
Weather News Applet Update: So this AM I opened the MS Weather Applet, and what do you know? News feed and ads were gone. It still wasn't the old format, but the basic info was there, sans ads. Actually a nice layout.

Why make the change, I thought? Did the company decide ads inside a weather app weren't a good morning door opener? Perhaps the American Federation of Amalgamated Dental Professionals realized that if folks need a local dentist, they probably aren't going to be looking for one in a weather app-- so they yanked the ad, and MS hadn't lined up anyone else. Who knows? In any case, kudos to MS when they do good community service, in this case by not mucking up the weather app.

And for those who remain accoutrement challenged, MS still offers advice on what to wear, and whether to leave home with an umbrella.

On another more thread related note, with one of my PCs unable to run 11 because of the security stuff, I did a bit of Linux slumming. Just to get back into the 'feel' of things. Surfed over to Phoronix, a Linux news aggregating site, and had to chuckle. Brought back memories of 'the old days'--Usenet's alt.os.linux, Stallman and Eric Raymond, etc.

Current discussion over whether to use X.org or Wayland on Asahi... which I thought was kind of arcane since Linux itself is pretty market penetration limited, and Asahi (which sounds like a Japanese beer--as in free) is even more niche, specific to Apple machines; so you know their user base has to be at least in the teens, or possibly high twenties (just kidding, but not really).

I remember the switch from XFree86 to X.Org, and all the anguish that caused? I guess the more things change...

Phoronix folks were still debating Libre over OpenOffice. Relentless.

I thought to myself (...who else could I think to?), "Screw this. I'm going hard core Cactus Jack. If MS abandons me, it's barbed-wire baseball bat time. Surf the Web? Emacs/EWW, preferably on GNU Hurd. If that isn't available, I need to find out if they've gotten Netscape Nav to run on Plan 9?"

I mean, there are always options. Right?

Those "weather" apps, and similar, I've always disabled as soon as possible as they're pretty useless for me. When I need good weather forecasts I go to trusted sources with local data.

As for Linux, I find FreeBSD/OpenBSD to be better and more stable operating systems where there is actual documentation and not a sea of outdated and wrong HOWTOs.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those "weather" apps, and similar, I've always disabled as soon as possible as they're pretty useless for me. When I need good weather forecasts I go to trusted sources with local data.

Or look outside.

Remember Vista (which was advertised as the end-all of operating systems...a thing destined to take over the world, for sure) had these little desktop applets as a feature?

MS somehow realized (or were told) that they presented a security risk, and disabled them. I mean, who wants their system hi-jacked by agents of evil, taking over their desktop analog clock? No one, that's who.

It was another great moment in MS innovation... just like when Bill promised to rid the world of 'spam', only didn't. LOL

Trell

Major Contributor
Or look outside.

Remember Vista (which was advertised as the end-all of operating systems...a thing destined to take over the world, for sure) had these little desktop applets as a feature?

MS somehow realized (or were told) that they presented a security risk, and disabled them. I mean, who wants their system hi-jacked by agents of evil, taking over their desktop analog clock? No one, that's who.

It was another great moment in MS innovation... just like when Bill promised to rid the world of 'spam', only didn't. LOL
I avoided upgrading to Vista. :) Skipped it all together.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Microsoft will now force-push Windows 10 version 22H2 feature update on Windows 10 21H2 systems.

On June 13, 2023, Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations editions of Windows 10, version 21H2 will reach end of servicing. The upcoming June 2023 security update, to be released on June 13, 2023, will be the last update available for these versions. After this date, devices running these version will no longer receive monthly security and preview updates containing protections from the latest security threats.

To help keep you protected and productive, Windows Update will automatically initiate a feature update for Windows 10 consumer devices and non-managed business devices that are at, or within several months of, reaching end of servicing.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sort of sympathize with those who take the stance of "It's not the thing itself, it's the principle!", even as I admit that my own principles are sorta flexible.

Part of me wants to be thrifty and eco-conscious, by keeping older PC hardware in service for as long as possible. But I also wonder if there are legitimate and un-fixable hardware bugs which make this an unwise policy? Got an i7-7700 CPU, BIOS update from mid-2022, and whatever chipset Lenovo was using at the time. It's here, it works (I even vacuum the dust out of it's air ducts regularly) and I'm too broke to buy a similarly-equipped new system right now.

Despite unsupported CPU (i7-7800x as found in $5K Microsoft Surface Studio is supported, i7-7700 isn't), W11 Pro seems to be working without a hitch. I got one popup urging me to sign up for Teams, but this is an improvement over W10's daily nagging to log into Cortana. Actually, there seem to be fewer, not more, distractions with the newer OS now that I've got the tabloid ("trending") media widget switched off.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The upcoming June 2023 security update, to be released on June 13, 2023, will be the last update available for these versions. After this date, devices running these version will no longer receive monthly security and preview updates containing protections from the latest security threats.

To help keep you protected and productive, Windows Update will automatically initiate a feature update for Windows 10 consumer devices and non-managed business devices that are at, or within several months of, reaching end of servicing.

What does this even mean? On the one hand they are telling folks that 6/13/23 is it, but on the other hand, there will be a 'feature' that will keep folks protected and productive?

Can someone explain what MS is trying to communicate, here?

Where is Mary Jo Foley when you need her? And can she also explain why ZD Net went puke green on their Website?

I really think the world is coming to an end. Nothing makes sense anymore. For sure, my simple mind can't comprehend the geniuses at Redmond PR.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On June 13, 2023, Home, Pro, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations editions of Windows 10, version 21H2 will reach end of servicing.
But 21H2 isn't the final W10 release, is it? Was under the impression that they'll stop introducing new features, but that security updates will continue until mid-2025.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was under the impression that they'll stop introducing new features, but that security updates will continue until mid-2025.

If that's what the rather convoluted explanation from MS means, then it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But 21H2 isn't the final W10 release, is it? Was under the impression that they'll stop introducing new features, but that security updates will continue until mid-2025.

'release' is usually interpreted as 'feature release'. These have been the 'H1' and 'H2' releases for the last few years. Windows 10 22H2 is the last Windows release*, there will be no Windows 10 23H1, 23H2, 24H1, 24H2, etc. There will just be monthly patches.

You can see all the releases and their end of support date here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

* I see that MS now refer to H1/H2 as versions in the article above, perhaps to differentiate better between security releases and feature ones.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does this even mean? On the one hand they are telling folks that 6/13/23 is it, but on the other hand, there will be a 'feature' that will keep folks protected and productive?

Can someone explain what MS is trying to communicate, here?
That there were different types of Windows 10. Microsoft didn’t want to give them different version numbers, instead called them with those obscure names. They were all practical reasons different windows versions.

If you don’t know this you may as well ignore the subject.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if these boot manager changes will prevent Linux based media from booting. Acronis true image has both Linux and Windows PE bootable versions.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if these boot manager changes will prevent Linux based media from booting. Acronis true image has both Linux and Windows PE bootable versions.
Maybe or maybe for a time. Some Linux distro's have boot loaders that have keys signed by Microsoft. So they can be used with Secure boot machines. Or course the whole issue with the keys is this problem. So it may take time for these distros to get new keys.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What if you have access to the bios and turn off secure boot temporarily to do a backup or restore?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your backups need to have the new key added or they won't boot after the UEFI update.
I'm thinking in terms of being able to use Acronis True image after the UEFI update. It's also possible to make a backup without the UEFI partition. Any way you cut it this is going to be messy for both IT departments at large organizations, small business and individual users. It makes me wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking in terms of being able to use Acronis True image after the UEFI update. It's also possible to make a backup without the UEFI partition. Any way you cut it this is going to be messy for both IT departments at large organizations, small business and individual users. It makes me wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.
I read a excellent article years ago pertaining to PC security and the main topic was making the security useable and not too complicated that people defeat it or can't use it.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read a excellent article years ago pertaining to PC security and the main topic was making the security useable and not too complicated that people defeat it or can't use it.
I may have not seen that same article, but the concept has crossed my mind many times.

Top Bottom