• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Death of Windows 10

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My CPU and SSD have had Windows 7, Vista, 8.1 and 10.
Only upgrades have been more and faster RAM and GPU. It still plays new released games without problems. Now it purposely is locked out from further upgrades and it annoys me.
It annoyed me too as I was using the Win 10 machine as a media server and whatever else. OTOH, 10 years is pretty good use. I replaced it with a newer laptop which is better in a number of ways. One I really like is the ability to use your thumbprint or facial recognition in place of passwords. You can add that on, but having it built in is pretty nifty.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
House has two desktops, both are used Lenovo Think Centres, plan to use those until 2025 and then get similar boxes that can run Windows 11. No biggie. Have a Samsung Chromebook that is handy when I need a mini laptop.

I've tried fighting Windows but my wife is not in the Apple ecosystem and so it continues to be my daily driver at home. Haven't had too many issues with Windows 10 except it does not seem to like Amazon Music HD.

I tried Ubuntu for an older desktop, never really warmed up to it. I found updates and the software installs tough to manage/understand. The language syntax just never clicked with me...

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
House has two desktops, both are used Lenovo Think Centres, plan to use those until 2025 and then get similar boxes that can run Windows 11. No biggie. Have a Samsung Chromebook that is handy when I need a mini laptop.

I've tried fighting Windows but my wife is not in the Apple ecosystem and so it continues to be my daily driver at home. Haven't had too many issues with Windows 10 except it does not seem to like Amazon Music HD.

I tried Ubuntu for an older desktop, never really warmed up to it. I found updates and the software installs tough to manage/understand. The language syntax just never clicked with me...
When my kids were ready to get their first non-chromebook laptops for school, I made sure they were all Macbooks. Everything at home is Mac because I didn't want phone calls in the middle of the day for tech support.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem in the Wintel world is lack of compelling reasons to upgrade hardware unless tricked into doing so by machinations like this. While there are legitimate reasons for wanting everyone to use features like UEFI Secure Boot, I’m pretty confident that many older system are capable of a perfectly serviceable W11 experience. If I still own my current PCs when W10 security updates are ended, I’ll weigh my options. Only real gripe that I have so far is that my 7th-gen Intel i7 systems cannot play 4k video smoothly, but by itself, this isn’t a deal-breaker. My HP Spectre notebook and Lenovo Thinkcentre all-in-one desktop are otherwise in great shape and scarcely seem like throwaways.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I get that Linux is super efficient and can do everything Windows can. However, surely all those shooting down Microsoft recognise that AppleOS is just as bad? (I reckon worse, personally. Plus, the cost of the hardware seems nuts to me.) ...
I use all 3 extensively. In my experience, MacOS is more reliable than Windows, though less than Linux. But I could never get used to the MacOS interface and apps. It always felt clumsy & unnatural compared to Windows or Linux (subjective criticism, I know). And I couldn't get used to the Mac keyboards. That was about the time that Ubuntu started running seamlessly on Thinkpad laptops, so no more frustrations for me. All our software runs on Linux in production anyway (because we want it to work ;)) so it's much easier to use Linux for everything.

On the brighter side, which operating system one uses matters less every year. This is a good trend.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When my kids were ready to get their first non-chromebook laptops for school, I made sure they were all Macbooks. Everything at home is Mac because I didn't want phone calls in the middle of the day for tech support.
My hole family uses Windows 10 machines that I set up. I get no "support calls" other than occasionally needing to enter an admin password for software installs. Which I chalk up as a feature.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just had to replace a 5 or 6 year old SSD.

Adobe applications are not available in Linux versions. There are ways to run them on Linux, but I haven't heard anything good about it. For a small group, Linux is an option.

I guess not being hooked up to the internet is also an option.

My main concern is a lot of hardware is going to be sent to the dump or recyclers, perhaps all at once.

I just upgraded a Core 6th gen/Z170 machine to 13th gen/Z790. It cost $500 including 32 gigs of memory. Everything else was reused or sitting in my parts box. On board audio had gone out on the old motherboard, which I took as a warning. I could have screwed around with it for another year or so, but switching between Win 10 and Win 11 machines was making me buggy.

There's one remaining Intel NUC around here which will have to be replaced. Maybe next year.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have been working intensively with computers since they first came into existence and have seen various operating systems come and go. Ten years ago, I switched to Linux (Ubuntu in my case), which felt like a liberation after the Apple and Microsoft dependency. Even old computers would perform well with Linux, although I don't use old ones myself.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use all 3 extensively. In my experience, MacOS is more reliable than Windows, though less than Linux. But I could never get used to the MacOS interface and apps. It always felt clumsy & unnatural compared to Windows or Linux (subjective criticism, I know). And I couldn't get used to the Mac keyboards. That was about the time that Ubuntu started running seamlessly on Thinkpad laptops, so no more frustrations for me. All our software runs on Linux in production anyway (because we want it to work ;)) so it's much easier to use Linux for everything.

On the brighter side, which operating system one uses matters less every year. This is a good trend.
This is my experience too. I can use MacOS, own a Macbook Pro mostly for remote recording ventures. I've tried to love it, but it is like sucking molasses thru a straw vs Windows or Linux for me. The Mac UI doesn't seem to work like I expect. Have the same issue with Iphones. Whatever is their idea of how things work does not align with mine.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Adobe applications are not available in Linux versions. There are ways to run them on Linux, but I haven't heard anything good about it. For a small group, Linux is an option. ...
Every year it gets a little easier to find alternatives, many of which are free and open source on all platforms.

For example, GIMP does most of what Photoshop does, RawTherapee is a great photo raw file editor with workflow similar to Phase One Capture One. Libre Office does most of what Microsoft Office does, and is file format compatible. TurboPrint makes inkjet printer drivers that are better than what the manufacturers provide on Windows & MacOS. VueScan makes one of the best photo scanner apps, JAlbum for creating online photo albums, Audacity for full featured audio file editing, REW for audio measurement, Zoom has a native Linux client, Thunderbird for email, Evernote has a native Linux client, Etc.

Of course there still is the occasional program that only runs on Windows or MacOS with no Linux alternative, but thankfully, fewer of them every year.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Every year it gets a little easier to find alternatives, many of which are free and open source on all platforms.

For example, GIMP does most of what Photoshop does, RawTherapee is a great photo raw file editor with workflow similar to Phase One Capture One. Libre Office does most of what Microsoft Office does, and is file format compatible. TurboPrint makes inkjet printer drivers that are better than what the manufacturers provide on Windows & MacOS. VueScan makes one of the best photo scanner apps, JAlbum for creating online photo albums, Audacity for full featured audio file editing, REW for audio measurement, Zoom has a native Linux client, Thunderbird for email, Evernote has a native Linux client, Etc.

Of course there still is the occasional program that only runs on Windows or MacOS with no Linux alternative, but thankfully, fewer of them every year.
Knowing Gimp and Photoshop well, I would say that Photoshop is much more productive in a professional environment. It is (or was) a standard in the graphics industry. Exactly such professional applications, even some special technical applications, were the reason why I used to be bound to Apple and Microsoft and had to spend a lot of money on licences for me and my former employees. Today, as a retired private person, I am freer again and the range of functions of Gimp etc. is sufficient for me.

Dismayed

Reckon that this is going to end up in yet another partisan ASR thread.

F*** Windows... Linux is the only true way...

Ho hum.

I get that Linux is super efficient and can do everything Windows can. However, surely all those shooting down Microsoft recognise that AppleOS is just as bad? (I reckon worse, personally. Plus, the cost of the hardware seems nuts to me.)

Surely it's just a case of "horses for courses"... ie Sure Linux kicks ass but, a bit like the WiiM solutions, if you want to play your tunes with a minimum of faff, some folks will opt for the easier option. Doesn't make it better. But doesn't make it wrong either.

I love Android for controlling cheap Windows boxes (sub current Pi prices... ), running free SOTA software ie Foobar and MathAudio.

Jobsagood'n!
How long has it been since you checked hardware prices? Apple Mac Minis are cheap and the OS is solid.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It is trivial to use Windows 11 without a TPM...still keeping my main machine on 10 until the upgrade is warranted
Let's say almost trivial -- 'cause I know it can be done, but I am still not altogether clear on how. Seems like a certain amount of fancy footwork is involved.

I think it's akin to the sort of thing for which mathematicians like to invoke the term straightforward. In this context, it means (I think) "it's mind-numbingly obvious that it can be done, but it's gonna take some effort" ;)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't think we can force them making something available forever. There is no other industry where that happens, and there is reason in software that changes more often it would be disadvantageous to do so. I get it, I've got a 10 year old machine that is perfectly useful on Win 10, but no Win 11 for it. I decided to purchase an up to date Win 11 laptop recently and have been happy with it. Had my machine been only 6 years old and just missed the hardware for Win 11 it would bother me more of course.

So your choices are use Win 10, maybe hope an add-on anti-virus program is enough. Use it as it is and hope you are lucky. Buy new hardware. Use it without ever connecting to the internet. Switch to linux so your machine remains useful. Owner's choice. Not everything he had hoped, but it is what it is. The Win 10 is fine until October 2025 so by then the hardware is 7.5 years old. Not optimum, but not that crazy.
Well, I guess the analogy in the real world ;) would be aftermarket suppliers. We can still buy new production 2A3 direct-heated triodes, for example, or multisecton "FP type" (twist-lock) canned electrolytic capacitors. M/S could release their code from Win10 -- it's obsolete, right*? ;) and let an aftermarket develop for support -- if there is an aftermarket.

PS Linux-y things are fine. That's my default for the Isle of Misfit Laptops here at the ranch -- but my needs for them are always quite simple. Ripping music and using an NAS to play stuff is about all I do with them anymore. I occasionally use "apps", but they're all a little tedious IME.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess the analogy in the real world ;) would be aftermarket suppliers. We can still buy new production 2A3 direct-heated triodes, for example, or multisecton "FP type" (twist-lock) canned electrolytic capacitors. M/S could release their code from Win10 -- it's obsolete, right*? ;) and let an aftermarket develop for support -- if there is an aftermarket.

PS Linux-y things are fine. That's my default for the Isle of Misfit Laptops here at the ranch -- but my needs for them are always quite simple. Ripping music and using an NAS to play stuff is about all I do with them anymore. I occasionally use "apps", but they're all a little tedious IME.

I would say Linux is the aftermarket supplier for obsolete hardware. :)

jacobacci

Let's say almost trivial -- 'cause I know it can be done, but I am still not altogether clear on how. Seems like a certain amount of fancy footwork is involved.

I think it's akin to the sort of thing for which mathematicians like to invoke the term straightforward. In this context, it means (I think) "it's mind-numbingly obvious that it can be done, but it's gonna take some effort" ;)
It is indeed very simple, using rufus to burn a Windows 11 USB boot medium. This is about as difficult as installing Windows 10 from a USB boot medium.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've already moved on. Two of my PC's have Windows 11, and two of my laptops have Windows 10 and are used only in certain limited circumstances. I'll just dispose of them sometime in a few years. Not learning Linux, though. I just refuse to learn another operating system. I'm tired of learning how to use tools, rather than using the tools themselves. Imagine if everyone had to learn anew how to use a new generation of screwdrivers back in the day. I just want an operating system that's intuitive, safe, and able to do what I need done. I won't quibble about where it locates the tool bar on the desktop or other such minor matters.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Frankly, I struggle to understand the criticisms of windows 10, in my experience it is a very stable operating system, I have been using it to work in the operating room 8/10 hours at least 4 times a week for years and years, and I don't remember having had any serious problems any kind.
In the period of Windows Vista I used Ubuntu and Xubuntu, I found them well, and compared to more austere and spartan distrubutions of Linux I found them good operating systems, quite easy even for relatively inexperienced users like me, with some limitations due to the software , but when I tested the windows 10 feature I went back to Microsoft without looking back and never regretted it

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I knew someone would give this reply. I am so used to using Adobe Camera Raw that no alternative will do. Libre Office is fine.

Top Bottom