• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The deaf leading the blind? A piece by Henning Møller (B&K)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was referring to equipment comparisons, not media resolution, EQ, etc.
What's the difference? Small impairments are impairments no matter if caused by equipment or formats. I have done a ton of careful equipment comparisons as well and instant switching is *critical* to hearing differences between them.

Really, you are advocating subjectivists myths. There is no there, there. Folks performing formal audio studies are not stupid to run tests in ways that are not critical.

Here is the bible of standards from your neck of the woods: ITU BS111.6:

Rec. ITU-R BS.1116-1 1
RECOMMENDATION ITU-R BS.1116-1*
METHODS FOR THE SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENT OF SMALL IMPAIRMENTS
IN AUDIO SYSTEMS
INCLUDING MULTICHANNEL SOUND SYSTEMS

1582492584122.png

This is established science, period.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Ok, now I think I may be starting to see where we're coming from different perspectives here. You're talking about subjective (whether sighted or blind) tests being used to identify shortcomings in audio components.

Why would you do this instead of measuring the equipment objectively, given that objective measurements provide infinitely more detailed and precise data than even the most sensitive human?

And moreover, how is it possible to listen to a piece of equipment to try to identify shortcomings without comparing it to an imagined/remembered reference?

I think we're getting there. Thanks for the perseverance. Cheers for that.

Why would people want to use their ears to identify shortcomings instead of measuring?
Not everyone has measuring equipment and software. (I do have a mic that I use to help me postion the speakers and listening spot and to measure the response in the final position to generate EQ filters; i did make a few gated measurements when I briefly had a play with horns)
Unfortunately lot of equipment hasn't been measured.
Many speaker measurements show only basic FR and impedance plots.
Some measured shortcomings are audible and others are not or not significant.
To better correlate listening with measurements.
As it once happened sometimes a particular dispersion pattern whilst deemed ideal won't work well in your room.
To upgrade with more intention instead of accidentally.

In reply to your last question, I agree that one will partly use benchmarks and prior experiences but mostly one must try spot potential problems by listening to different fit-for-purpose recordings.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we're getting there. Thanks for the perseverance. Cheers for that.

Why would people want to use their ears to identify shortcomings instead of measuring?
Not everyone has measuring equipment and software. (I do have a mic that I use to help me postion the speakers and listening spot and to measure the response in the final position to generate EQ filters; i did make a few gated measurements when I briefly had a play with horns)
Unfortunately lot of equipment hasn't been measured.
Many speaker measurements show only basic FR and impedance plots.
Some measured shortcomings are audible and others are not or not significant.
To better correlate listening with measurements.
As it once happened sometimes a particular dispersion pattern whilst deemed ideal won't work well in your room.
To upgrade with more intention instead of accidentally.

In reply to your last question, I agree that one will partly use benchmarks and prior experiences but mostly one must try spot potential problems by listening to different fit-for-purpose recordings.

Fair enough. I'm think we're coming at it from different angles, as I only use speakers that I've designed and therefore have quite thoroughly characterised objectively. I've also gone through a lot of the studies into audibility thresholds of all the various forms of distortion, so I believe I have a pretty decent ability to look at data and determine whether issues will be audible.

And having designed a lot of speakers and also having done some basic mixing/mastering work, I know that my ears (and especially my ears/eyes/brain working deviously in concert) are really not something I'd want to rely on, except as a last resort.

For a classic example demonstrating why this is so, a few times while mixing I've sat there adjusting the EQ or some other setting on an effect unit, sometimes for 15 minuntes or longer, taking it for granted the whole time that I'm finessing what I hear coming out of the speakers, only to realise half an hour later that the effect unit wasn't connected to the track I thought I was working on.

Another example comes up in testing for audibility of various forms of distortion, e.g. nonlinear distortion, group delay etc, with myself as the subject. I do this by creating an impulse response or some other filter containing X degree of distortion in whatever parameter I'm testing, and then using an ABX comparator, much like I suggested earlier today on the other thread. Typically, I find that when I first run a music signal through the filter, it seems absolutely obvious that the distortion is audible. Switch back and forth blind a number of times, and usually what I thought I heard has disappeared. Or it doesn't seem to have, so then I conduct an ABX test on myself. Then, only in a small number of cases do I actually pass the test.

And my chances of success are always way higher when I focus on a tiny snippet, usually 2-3 seconds, and switch very quickly. This is a highly unnatural listening condition, but it's often the only way of having any hope of discerning a difference. The idea that I'd be able to hear things in long-term listening that I miss under these circumstances seems pretty outrageous to me.

And well, you know, I'm a pretty rational person with a lot of listening/mixing experience who's also done some systematic ear training, so I know that I'm reasonably sensitive to a lot of these things compared to the average, and pretty self-critical when it comes to my hearing abilities. Yet I still seem to repeatedly be able to fool myself into thinking I can hear things that, upon closer scrutiny, it turns out I can't.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was arguing that long-term (week or weeks) listening assessment (its not a direct comparison) is more adequate to identify certain shortcomings than short-duration blind listening A-B comparisons which chiefly tonal balance driven.
When you replace a piece of equipment if the difference is large then the difference may be readily apparent. Returning to the original setup after a week or two may also expose differences. This could be performed blind.
Perhaps long-term listening assessments focus on identifying shortcomings (using specific pieces of music to spot particular problems, even pink noise) not as direct comparisons could be performed blind but I am not sure how that could be nor if it would be needed considering that you are not performing a direct comparison.

Regarding the part of your argument that extolls long-term listening for elucidating sonic differences or characteristics:

I get the intuitive appeal of that idea, but in my case I simply have not seen it play out in practice.

I've always been able to get the gist of a speaker (for instance) very quickly after hearing tracks I'm familiar with. This doesn't really change over time. What might change is how much I like the characteristics or not.

I have friends who review audio equipment and I hear every speaker they get in to review. Frankly, one visit and I can pretty much nail the sonic characteristics of the speaker (especially if I'm allowed to play with speaker position etc). It doesn't change over time as I visit. And often enough I've been told that even though the reviewer had the speaker for a while, I was pointing out things he hadn't quite noticed.

I don't think I'm special in this regard. I think that many audiophiles mostly presume that the long term listening sessions they use were required for their assessment, where I think with careful attention they could have come to most, if not all, their conclusions in a much shorter time.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
Regarding the part of your argument that extolls long-term listening for elucidating sonic differences or characteristics:

I get the intuitive appeal of that idea, but in my case I simply have not seen it play out in practice.

I've always been able to get the gist of a speaker (for instance) very quickly after hearing tracks I'm familiar with. This doesn't really change over time. What might change is how much I like the characteristics or not.

I have friends who review audio equipment and I hear every speaker they get in to review. Frankly, one visit and I can pretty much nail the sonic characteristics of the speaker (especially if I'm allowed to play with speaker position etc). It doesn't change over time as I visit. And often enough I've been told that even though the reviewer had the speaker for a while, I was pointing out things he hadn't quite noticed.

I don't think I'm special in this regard. I think that many audiophiles mostly presume that the long term listening sessions they use were required for their assessment, where I think with careful attention they could have come to most, if not all, their conclusions in a much shorter time.

What has happened often is that I sometimes spot something when listening casually and once it's there I can't let go. But things like tonal balance are obvious from the word go.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An interesting relatively new AES paper from Genelec engineers about testing of audio equipment:

Locked away inside its shell, the brain has ever only learned about the world through our five primary senses. With them, we just receive a fraction of the information actually available, while we perceive far less still. A fraction of a fraction: The perceptual bandwidth. Conscious perception is furthermore influenced by long-term experience and learning, to an extent that perception might be more accurately understood and studied as primarily an inside-to-out phenomena. Summarizing a review of physiological, clinical and psychological research, the paper proposes three types of listening strategies we should distinguish between when conducting subjective tests: Easy listening, trained listening and slow listening.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19621

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An interesting relatively new AES paper from Genelec engineers about testing of audio equipment:

Locked away inside its shell, the brain has ever only learned about the world through our five primary senses. With them, we just receive a fraction of the information actually available, while we perceive far less still. A fraction of a fraction: The perceptual bandwidth. Conscious perception is furthermore influenced by long-term experience and learning, to an extent that perception might be more accurately understood and studied as primarily an inside-to-out phenomena. Summarizing a review of physiological, clinical and psychological research, the paper proposes three types of listening strategies we should distinguish between when conducting subjective tests: Easy listening, trained listening and slow listening.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19621

Interesting paper. Some puzzling conclusions though.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
What has happened often is that I sometimes spot something when listening casually and once it's there I can't let go. But things like tonal balance are obvious from the word go.

That must be awful and an impediment to simply enjoying music. Don't try vinyl, then.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
That must be awful and an impediment to simply enjoying music. Don't try vinyl, then.

I have. Bad idea though. Time and money wasted.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor
More like illogical conclusions that didn't fit the premise they were working on. They have no evidence for the conclusions they came to in that paper.

They know how to design adequate speakers but sure can't write a decent evidence-based paper... Didn't even mention the Hindu/Buddhist legacy, tsk, tsk.
I expected more from the J. Audio Eng. Soc.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Radical "Objectivists" are afraid of listening as much as alt-"Subjectivists" hate measurements.
Are the deaf leading the blind?

There are examples where problems were identified through listening assessment and then people tried to develop ways of measuring those problems (i.e. TIM).
The subject is currently being discussed in the following topic where Jussi "Miska" Laako (HQPlayer) describes how he is triyng to nail down an audible problem in the performance of ESS Sabre D/A chips that doesn't show in a "traditional" set of measurements:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ements-correlate-with-subjective-impressions/

I think that radical "Objectivists" that do not value critical listening are nearly as deluded as ears-only alt-"Subjectivists".
Critical listening and measurements are complementary tools.

This interesting old piece presented by Henning Møller (Brüel & Kjær) at the 59th AES Convention in 1978 discusses listening and measurement correlation:

Abstract
Audio is easily and meaningfully perceived by the "global" subjective human mind - and comprehended simultaneously. A similar "meaning" can be obtained in the objective world of measurements if - as in the human mind - a reasonable amount of "local" objective measurements are simultaneously considered and weighted. No single measurement is sufficient. Today there are already six "measuring domains" that strongly correlate to the subjective perception of Audio. These will be discussed in the paper.

Without supporting evidence it is just a 'piece'.

Presentations at AES conventions don't mean much unless they are further presented as formal submissions and subject to peer review.

Many disguised marketing efforts are presented at AES Conventions.

OP
tuga

tuga

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is fair to present always both sides, so here is also a rather critical response/article on above Genelec paper
https://www.soundstagesolo.com/inde...-k371-headphones-tell-us-about-slow-listening
I did read the paper. There's a thread on it here. Link below. My opinion was there was lots of conjecture, supposition and not much else. It seemed written to go with a pre-ordained conclusion in mind. The conclusion was not supported by anything. And it didn't make sense.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-slow-listening-stereophile.10467/post-288592

Top Bottom