• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The darkest day of the year

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Today is the darkest day of the year.

This year has been difficult, painful, and hurtful to many of us. The pandemic makes us want to forget 2020 has ever existed.

But after today, the sunlight will grow, though slowly and unnoticeably. We will leave the dark times.

Happy Winter Soltise. Stay safe and healthy.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I so look forward to this day. Our days can be super dark, wet and gloomy (although this year has been better than most). Combine that with what all is happening, and I can't wait to descend on the other side of the mountain!

PaulD

Lightest day of the year here! Although that was yesterday now, since I'm just across the date-line... (the actual solstice was about 17 hours ago, I'm in UTC +11 at the moment in summer)

GDK

Forum Donor
I so look forward to this day. Our days can be super dark, wet and gloomy (although this year has been better than most). Combine that with what all is happening, and I can't wait to descend on the other side of the mountain!
I agree, those six weeks or so between when the clocks go back (can we please get rid of that unwelcome bit of nonsense?) through to the solstice are always a difficult slog for me. I also always look forward to the days getting longer once again - and no year moreso than this, most trying, of years.

Thank you @mi-fu for your post.

dougi

Longest day same here! Unfortunately the skys were cloudy around where we were so couldn't get to see the Jupiter/Saturn super conjunction. La Nina weather event kicking in so hopefully less bushfires in Oz this summer. Hope but not necessarily expectation.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
And Jupiter and Saturn’s great conjunction was today! Was seen nicely after sunset in the crisp-clear sky here in Central Florida.

Last edited:

xykreinov

Forum Donor
It's a sweet thought. But, sociopolitically, things will only get worse from here, whether it's quickly or slowly. All I can advise, in short and (hopefully) without causing polarized division, is for people to prepare themselves and their loved ones for the worst. Whether that's something serious like stocking up on healthy long-storage food like pecamin, or just something as simple as a hug, do it.

That said, don't let your days be ruined by the madness of the world. Causing paranoia and fear mongering is part of the media's job. Don't be hedonistic and blind yourself with pleasure. But, don't be asceticic either, and wait untill enjoyable purpose falls in your lap. Be hermetic- create or do something meaningful, or something that simply affects the world. Whether that's some elaborate write-up like the one amirm recently pinned about DRCs, doing something for your local community/family, or the menial act of clipping your toenails, try to do it. o7

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, it was yesterday. Let's go for brighter days now!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thank god where I live the diference between the solistices is less then 50 minutes
Here it is about 8 hours!
8 Hours daylight today :(
16 hours daylight in midsummer.
So I look forward to the days lengthening. I don't mind the cold, I have appropriate clothing but I don't like it being dark so long.

Willem

Major Contributor
This time of the year is pretty dark here too (it gets light around 8.30 in the morning, and dark around 4 in the afternoon, and even during the day it is never bright). It will take another month or so to feel the difference. And like Frank, I don't mind the cold so much - it is the darkness that gets me. Darkness is also what stops me from another cycle camping tour. In normal Winter times, I would stay at a campsite with a restaurant, either onsite or nearby, and spend the evening there. Now I would have to cook my own meal in the dark. I guess I will have to wait a few more months for restaurants to be allowed open again (and longer evenings). I long for the return of summer time/daylight saving time.

Katji

Major Contributor
What got to me in London was the darkness and most of all the rain, incessant rain. Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. ...The cold was only a problem because of the rain.

However, southern hemisphere now. And it got humid since a few days ago. And the infections increase, the infection rate, is worse than the last time, and now it is this new variant.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What got to me in London was the darkness and most of all the rain, incessant rain. Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. ...The cold was only a problem because of the rain.
Same problem here. Nighttime driving with rain is a pain.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

spacevector

Forum Donor
But, sociopolitically, things will only get worse from here, whether it's quickly or slowly.

That said, don't let your days be ruined by the madness of the world. Causing paranoia and fear mongering is part of the media's job.
Not computing for me. Are you media?

Appreciate the post OP homie, it brightened a rather tough day for me a little bit. Here's hoping for a better year for us all.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Not computing for me. Are you media?
xD Yeah, pretty hypocritical. I thought about that later, but didn't bother amending it. Though I have my own stances on the topic of quarantines and such, I didn't want to pollute the thread with something polarizing. So, I was just vague in the first paragraph instead, which isn't that much better, really. I should have just cut it out.

It's nice to be hopeful sometimes, no matter the grounds.

Top Bottom