• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The craziest DAC ever #9038AP with distortions analyzer onboard.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
currently, we work with the software for 9038AP. According to the optimistic scenario release date next month, realistic September, pessimistic - this year.
@IVX I’d be interested in trying this design in my different setups... please keep us up to date on your efforts. Are you planning to contain the PCB in a box, or will it be strictly DIY?

OP
IVX

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I like to offer that as PCBA to keep low cost and less problem to me, as I doing all things by myself excluding iOS/Android code.
PS: The new exciting numbers of 9038AP ;) My AP analyzer guaranty only 117.5db SINAD or -117.5db THD+N.
however, if I overload a little my AP analyzer to use 5VRMS range at 5.8VRMS, the minimum reading THD+N becomes less than -120db. As you can see the curve is quite linear and has no any additional corners, hence, the THD+N reading is still accurate.
I'm sure 9038AP with single DAC config has SINAD range 120..122db. BTW, that's slightly lower than ES9038Q2M datasheet promised.
2020-08-15_18-58-14.png

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like to offer that as PCBA to keep low cost and less problem to me, as I doing all things by myself excluding iOS/Android code.
PS: The new exciting numbers of 9038AP ;) My AP analyzer guaranty only 117.5db SINAD or -117.5db THD+N.
however, if I overload a little my AP analyzer to use 5VRMS range at 5.8VRMS, the minimum reading THD+N becomes less than -120db. As you can see the curve is quite linear and has no any additional corners, hence, the THD+N reading is still accurate.
I'm sure 9038AP with single DAC config has SINAD range 120..122db. BTW, that's slightly lower than ES9038Q2M datasheet promised.
View attachment 78308
Impressive numbers. I’m cool with DIY, I’ve just became a little lazy with time..., but I’ll figure out a small case for it if you’re able to produce the PCB.

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

View attachment 78308

does it have xlr outputs as lineout?

OP
IVX

IVX

Major Contributor
Some update here, 9038AP DUAL DAC tested. As expected, SNR and Dynamic Range improved for 3db(129db(A)), hence, THD+N aka SINAD reading also improved(120db vs 122db).
THD+N vs level sweep with different MCLK, blue - 25MHz, red - 50MHz(remember the ESS hump?).
9038AP_DUAL_THDn_level_sweep.PNG

AES17 Dynamic Range 129.5db(A)
9038AP_DUAL_DR.PNG

1kHz 0dbfs FFT
9038AP_DUAL_0db.PNG

OP
IVX

IVX

Major Contributor
Oh, I forgot to mention, the first plot THD+N vs Level was performed with an additional high-resolution preamp with an analog notch filter(the noise-limited THD+N level -125db i.e. even AP sys1 can see precisely THD+N 0.000055%). MY AP SYS2522, if I lucky with the voltage range, does correctly see THD+N levels near to -120db but seems at the least bits of its resolution and I can't see .00007% or .00006% but only .00008% and next .00005% next .00000% or like that. With the new preamp, I can surely see down to .00005% range.

Jukka

@IVX so you can reduce harmonic distortion with dsp? I'm interested in evaluating HD effects on perceived sound quality, so I would need to add some distortion, preferably frequency dependantly. Can you share how you (un)do harmonic distortion with dsp? I got miniDSP SHD and also Equalizer APO, where I can use PEQ or feed co-efficients and some other filters.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
@IVX so you can reduce harmonic distortion with dsp? I'm interested in evaluating HD effects on perceived sound quality, so I would need to add some distortion, preferably frequency dependantly. Can you share how you (un)do harmonic distortion with dsp? I got miniDSP SHD and also Equalizer APO, where I can use PEQ or feed co-efficients and some other filters.
@pkane may have something for you

Top Bottom