• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
One reason that I can think of of why a moving coil cartridge might have a magnetic metal former for the coils is to increase the inductance and possibly the output of the cartridge. Perhaps that's how they make high output moving coils but I don't know enough about that to say definitively.

JP

Major Contributor
I appreciate your message. The question I would like to answer is "at the speaker output, can a difference in frequency response be measured?" If I put the iPhone in a tripod close to the speaker and once volume level is set then make a spectrum capture. Don't change anything, then flux bust and capture again. If it is enough of a difference then it should show in the spectrum plots. Would also record multiple captures before and after to eliminate one-offs due to unexpected noises. I would have to purchase an A to D converter to do anything electrical. I do have a Sony 96 by 24 handheld recorder that could be used to capture some music playback as well - before and after. If I do both I could post the clips without identification and conduct a poll.

You're trying to find a change that's likely non-existent and contaminating your capture with speaker/room interactions that will swamp everything you're trying to do.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the distant past, when tape was king, and vinyl was the only mainstream consumer format, 0.1% W&F was considered the point at which it was 'good enough'. The only issue I have with lightweight platters is that wow is dynamic, in that stylus drag depends on the modulation, so a rapid transient will cause the turntable to experience a 'jerk' which can then take a while to settle down again. This can be minimised either with greater mass, or as in the case of my AEG and EMT turntables, very well designed servoes that rapidly allow for the extra drag, without overshoot. However, I accept that their effectiveness has to be taken on trust, as measuring that dynamically will be challenging. Certainly extra mass is a lot easier to engineer.

Wow and flutter (both tape and vinyl) has always been evaluated as a static measure, using a 3kHz or 3.15kHz steady tone, but unlike tape, LP modulation is dynamic and stylus drag varies with modulation, so a very low W&F measure may not necessarily result in low W&F under music conditions. I have never seen any measurements made of how stylus drag varies with modulation, so don't know if that's anything to be remotely concerned about.

I love vinyl, you can never stop fiddling with it...

S.
So I just measured my wow/flutter with and without a record using RPM WOW. Three measurements each with the record on the turntable and one without. Lifting and placing the phone back on between each measurement. Without it is .05, .05, .08. With it is .05, .05, .04. (RMS). My guess is that the needle doesn't make enough of a difference to be registered by the phone/app. There is no evidence that music is causing swings larger than .1. Is there any evidence that the needle causes significant drag to be heard? Do you know where the .1 figure for audibility came from? Thanks!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason that I can think of of why a moving coil cartridge might have a magnetic metal former for the coils is to increase the inductance and possibly the output of the cartridge. Perhaps that's how they make high output moving coils but I don't know enough about that to say definitively.
High output MCs have higher resistance coils due to many more turns of thinner wire, so the DC resistance goes from 5-20 ohms or thereabouts, to 100-200 ohms or thereabouts. This is still quite a lot lower than a moving magnet's DC resistance which is typically 500ohms plus, and still hugely lower than a MMs inductance. HOMCs are still much less sensitive to loading than an MM, but somewhat more than a LOMC, especially to resistive load. This isn't much of an issue as they're designed to be used in a normal MM input of 47k ohms. Their main downside is higher moving mass, due to the heavier coils.

S

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
High output MCs have higher resistance coils due to many more turns of thinner wire, so the DC resistance goes from 5-20 ohms or thereabouts, to 100-200 ohms or thereabouts. This is still quite a lot lower than a moving magnet's DC resistance which is typically 500ohms plus, and still hugely lower than a MMs inductance. HOMCs are still much less sensitive to loading than an MM, but somewhat more than a LOMC, especially to resistive load. This isn't much of an issue as they're designed to be used in a normal MM input of 47k ohms. Their main downside is higher moving mass, due to the heavier coils.

S
I knew that high output moving coils had more turns of wire but then if the metal core is not used for higher output then what is it used for?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I just measured my wow/flutter with and without a record using RPM WOW. Three measurements each with the record on the turntable and one without. Lifting and placing the phone back on between each measurement. Without it is .05, .05, .08. With it is .05, .05, .04. (RMS). My guess is that the needle doesn't make enough of a difference to be registered by the phone/app. There is no evidence that music is causing swings larger than .1. Is there any evidence that the needle causes significant drag to be heard? Do you know where the .1 figure for audibility came from? Thanks!
Not specifically, it was what at the time we considered 'good enough', and both pro and consumer magazine reviewers accepted as the standard. Given that there are several ways of measuring W&F, all which give different numbers, my view was that if the number quoted was less than 0.1%, it was good enough however measured. I was always suspicious of very low W&F numbers as I then question how they were achieved. Test tapes and test LPs have their own intrinsic W&F built in, so a manufacturer quoting very low figures raises questions.

S

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew that high output moving coils had more turns of wire but then if the metal core is not used for higher output then what is it used for?
As I said, I don't know why anyone would use a metal core as I can only see disadvantages.
S

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
You're trying to find a change that's likely non-existent and contaminating your capture with speaker/room interactions that will swamp everything you're trying to do.
Well, it is an experiment. Just have to see what happens.

JP

Major Contributor

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I allowed to courteously suggest that there may have been extensive research and consequently, useful answers to your query on Analog Planet Bob?
(I do appreciate there are many reasons for not going there, until you absolutely need a half million dollar TT, but!)
:rolleyes:

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Am I allowed to courteously suggest that there may have been extensive research and consequently, useful answers to your query on Analog Planet Bob?
(I do appreciate there are many reasons for not going there, until you absolutely need a half million dollar TT, but!)
:rolleyes:
I did read a review of the demagnetizer on Analog Planet, but I do not recall there being any testing done other than Fremer's listening impressions.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Your last three words say it all Bob! Good luck with your research.
Thanks - I went back and googled the review from the mid '90's. Pertinent paragraph from Fremer below. While it is possible what he says is true, that kind of change should show up in measurement. I will try to measure for a difference in the next week or so.

Just to be clear - the text in red below is from Fremer
I'm always surprised at the degree to which demagnetizing improves a moving-coil cartridge's sound (following an extended period of use): it sounds more open overall, and smoother and sweeter on top, with less grain and grunge.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm always surprised at the degree to which demagnetizing improves a moving-coil cartridge's sound (following an extended period of use): it sounds more open overall, and smoother and sweeter on top, with less grain and grunge.
Kind of related to this, 10 years ago or so I heard the same thing about demagnetizing the LP itself! It seemed laughable until someone captured the output of the turntable before and after demag. It was undeniable. It improvements were just as you mention: more open, and generally nicer. Waveform analysis clearly backed the results.

I thought about it for a bit and realized we didn't have a control. That is, are two back to back captures of LP the same? The kind owner bought a new LP and captured exactly that. Result was the same! The second run sounded better without any demag involved. And the improvement was exactly what we experienced.

This is a rare case of subjective experience being correct. But for the wrong reason/causation.

That variability exists in demagnetizing the cartridge of any other tweak for that matter. Unlike digital, the format is constantly changing what it is delivering with no way to disentangle natural changes and effect (if any) of the tweak.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Kind of related to this, 10 years ago or so I heard the same thing about demagnetizing the LP itself! It seemed laughable until someone captured the output of the turntable before and after demag. It was undeniable. It improvements were just as you mention: more open, and generally nicer. Waveform analysis clearly backed the results.

I thought about it for a bit and realized we didn't have a control. That is, are two back to back captures of LP the same? The kind owner bought a new LP and captured exactly that. Result was the same! The second run sounded better without any demag involved. And the improvement was exactly what we experienced.

This is a rare case of subjective experience being correct. But for the wrong reason/causation.

That variability exists in demagnetizing the cartridge of any other tweak for that matter. Unlike digital, the format is constantly changing what it is delivering with no way to disentangle natural changes and effect (if any) of the tweak.
OOOOKKKKKKAAAAAYYYYYY.......I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and ask - can I use my Hand-D-Mag that I usually use for demagnetizing tape heads to 'demagnetize' an LP? If so, I'll try it and report back. What type of demagnetizer did you use? Are you sure the effect wasn't just of eliminating static electricity buildup, in which case a Milty Zerostat would do the job.

If however you're just shit'in us, a curse upon your house! :facepalm:

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

Thanks for the insight. Your reply is a great example of the kind of discussion I was hoping for by starting this thread.

I went back and edited my last post to make sure everyone understands the text in red are Fremer’s words from the link provided. Any differences I have heard after demagnetizing a cartridge - not sure it was as pronounced as Fremer described.

I also have heard about demagnetizing the entire record and that seems a stretch. Your suggestion for a “control” is well received. What I can do is run multiple spectrum captures before and after demagnetizing starting with cleaning the record on the vacuum record cleaning machine. If it is just “random” perhaps it will show. If it is a real change then that should show also. Curiosity on my part is what is driving this and I really only have one shot at this without waiting “months” to try again. So, I best try to make it as good as possible.

Last edited:
OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Does this normally go along with other cleaning or tweaking of your system? I'll be interested in the measurement when you do it.
It has been a couple of years since I used the demagnetizer - there was some MM use for awhile. Then I purchased the Hana and it has never been flux busted. When I did use it, it was months between uses. Cleaning wise, I always clean my records before the first playback on the vacuum record cleaning machine. The stylus gets the brush treatment enough to clean the stuff I can see with occasional Stylast cleaning liquid. A cleaned record will get the carbon fiber brush treatment if it looks dusty - sometimes will get another vacuum cleaning if I think it needs it. In short, I do enough cleaning without getting “anal” about it. The desired result is enjoyable listening.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I love the idea that a mv/ mA sine wave can cause any change in the magnetism of a coil former. One would suggest looking at the 100s of amps used to actually charge magnets.

Now divide this down and factor in the suitability of the coil former as a material to make magnets out of in the first place. 10 million times not enough? 100 million times?

It's certainly nonsense.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It has been a couple of years since I used the demagnetizer - there was some MM use for awhile. Then I purchased the Hana and it has never been flux busted. When I did use it, it was months between uses. Cleaning wise, I always clean my records before the first playback on the vacuum record cleaning machine. The stylus gets the brush treatment enough to clean the stuff I can see with occasional Stylast cleaning liquid. A cleaned record will get the carbon fiber brush treatment if it looks dusty - sometimes will get another vacuum cleaning if I think it needs it. In short, I do enough cleaning without getting “anal” about it. The desired result is enjoyable listening.
I do the same ... and i have records cleaned 5-6 years ago sounding without clicks and pops today.
I only add that every time i clean a record, i also change the internal sleeve, always.

Top Bottom