• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The correct D AMP for a Topping DM7

Paiaso

Hi guys,
I'm evaluating an upgrade of my current setup:
source: HTPC with Dirac Live
Processor/DAC: Anthem mrx700 for 5.1 channels
amp: 3 x Crown xls1502
speakers:
- Focal Aria 826 as front
- Focal cc900 as center
- Focal Chorus 705v as surround.

I want to improve the DAC stage changing my Anthem with the Topping DM7. This is the first step but, maybe, I couldn't have a performance improvement because my Crown applies ADC and DAC to allow the use of the internal DSP. So, I think that with this useless conversion step (in my setup), the overall quality will be the same.
The next step should be change the amplification to avoid the ADC/DAC and I like to have you opinion about that.
Actually I'm evaluating for LCR 3 x Hypex Nx500 and Icepower 700as2 for surrounds. I'd like to use this generous power to have a good sound pressure despite the use of Dirac.

Any ideas?
thank you a lot

Svend P

I run a similar setup to yours. For what it is worth, in my home cinema it didn't make a noticeable difference to go from NAD M22 to Crown XLS1502. Maybe I got a little bit more hiss, but nothing I can't live with.
I now use the XLS1502 as crossovers to my 15" midrange drivers, and it makes a huge difference having a 15" playing up to 750 Hz instead of a 6½" driver. The sound seems bigger. (not sure how you would measure that...)
Also I don't think you would notice any change using a different processor. Dirac is the biggest factor in how your home cinema sounds. Apart from the loudspeakers.

Svend P

The best thing I did for my home cinema, was adding a subwoofer to the back of the sofa. Now there is a physical component whenever there is a sound. You could also install a tactile trancducer, I just found them to be slow. YMMW.

20220429_092020.jpg

Top Bottom