• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The comedy of some Hi res recordings

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But why record it at the first place when there's nothing valuable in it?
Because it allows more headroom in production. High sample rate for example avoids aliasing in non-linear effects. And 24 bit allows more dynamic range. Once done, I like to get a copy of that stereo master prior to CD/itunes mastering (i.e. loudness compression).

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it allows more headroom in production. High sample rate for example avoids aliasing in non-linear effects. And 24 bit allows more dynamic range. Once done, I like to get a copy of that stereo master prior to CD/itunes mastering (i.e. loudness compression).
But there's no need for the released recording to have been 'mastered' badly. The recording, mixing and editing can and should be done at 32 or 48 bit Floating Point, then the finished work dithered and noise shaped to 44.1/16 bit for release. You won't be missing anything of musical value, you just won't have something that lights the 96k light. It's back to wants rather than needs, and in the case of reissues or so many upsampled 48k recordings, a con.

S

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few blu ray audio discs courtesyy of DG and Decca who have re-released quite a lot of their old classic recordings in delux editions which include a high res disc. I don't think re-mastering old analogue recordings in 24/96 or 24/192 adds anything at all, but, and it's a big but, some of these high res blu ray discs include quadrophonic or surround sound versions which do add something and which are worth having. At the risk of sounding shallow and not very serious it is the delux packaging that swung me on some of these re-issues but I will say this - whatever I think of high res (and I think it is all a bit of a scam), listening to Steinberg's recording of the Planets with the Boston SO in quadrophonic with the volume cranked up loud is spectacular. I also think the old 1970's Bernstein Beethoven symphony cycle is terrific in surround sound.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have done this kind of analysis before and some content is truely high-res. To the topic of this thread, I have also tested using MusicScope but not a big fan of it. Here is a video I published showing both full spectrum/high res music and issues:

Had not seen that video: really nice demonstration of the issues.

To take another angle at the car analogy

- buyer purchases a Porsche, at list Porsche price.
- buyer checks eternal dimensions, great, they do match Porsche specifications.
- buyer realizes new car drives very much like his old Skoda, which is essentially fine, he liked his old Skoda, plus, all the girls around like the Porsche look.

so far so good, except for the wallet. But the buyer is a critical mind and goes for a dyno session, at which point he measures that his prized possession is indeed very much his old Skoda, only with a detuned engine...

Now, even if one assumes there are legit hires files, from properly done hires masters, where there is an actual benefit and no drawback, how would even a critical listener know without going through that type of in-depth analysis?

It is that, or recognize the lifting of the veil and darkening of the background I guess. :(

Krunok

Major Contributor
Had not seen that video: really nice demonstration of the issues.

To take another angle at the car analogy

- buyer purchases a Porsche, at list Porsche price.
- buyer checks eternal dimensions, great, they do match Porsche specifications.
- buyer realizes new car drives very much like his old Skoda, which is essentially fine, he liked his old Skoda, plus, all the girls around like the Porsche look.

so far so good, except for the wallet. But the buyer is a critical mind and goes for a dyno session, at which point he measures that his prized possession is indeed very much his old Skoda, only with a detuned engine...

Now, even if one assumes there are legit hires files, from properly done hires masters, where there is an actual benefit and no drawback, how would even a critical listener know without going through that type of in-depth analysis?

It is that, or recognize the lifting of the veil and darkening of the background I guess. :(

Again, not a bad car analogy.. But my guess is you haven't ever driven Porsche nor Škoda. :D (pls take no ofense as none was intended!)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But there's no need for the released recording to have been 'mastered' badly. The recording, mixing and editing can and should be done at 32 or 48 bit Floating Point, then the finished work dithered and noise shaped to 44.1/16 bit for release. You won't be missing anything of musical value, you just won't have something that lights the 96k light. It's back to wants rather than needs, and in the case of reissues or so many upsampled 48k recordings, a con.

S
That is a wish and a dream. Not going to happen as there is no forcing function to do any of that for creating of 16 bit/44.1. In addition, few mastering engineers understand the signal processing enough to do the conversion right. Some for example think dither is a bad idea.

And what for anyway? I like to get the final master and do any conversion myself if I want to. We are not spinning CDs anymore. Why stuff that conversion in the middle and pray that it won't be screwed up?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, not a bad car analogy.. But my guess is you haven't ever driven Porsche nor Škoda. :D (pls take no ofense as none was intended!)

No offense and you'd be surprised. But to be honest - and again it is a matter of taste - imho, no car above 1000kg drives really well. OK, the Cayman doesn't handle too badly for a heavy car.

Krunok

Major Contributor
No offense and you'd be surprised. But to be honest - and again it is a matter of taste - imho, no car above 1000kg drives really well. OK, the Cayman doesn't handle too badly for a heavy car.

Heh.. while it is true that racing cars are light I wouldn't realy like to drive a car that weigths under 1500kg on the streets for obvious safety reasons. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Because it allows more headroom in production...

It's about time you put on your MQA hat. :)

MQA hat.JPG

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The question of free will has nothing to do with gods. Either may or may not exist independently of the other.
I have to disagree, but this is neither the time nor the place for an involved discussion.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There are not a lot of cars weighing less than 1000 kg, and most that light are little toys.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have done this kind of analysis before and some content is truely high-res. To the topic of this thread, I have also tested using MusicScope but not a big fan of it. Here is a video I published showing both full spectrum/high res music and issues:

This is of course true, which is why the thread title includes "some", but so much high res I have examined is really not.

I think the bigger issue is the average consumer being misled regarding what they are purchasing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Misled requires intent. I don't think anyone in labels knows or cares what bits they are sending out as high-res. Someone writes them a check and some grunt digs up some files and ships it the distributor. They get paid either way and this is such small business that it doesn't matter to them. The fact that the customer can't hear the issues provides the cover for the whole operation.

Right now, the most valid source of high-res is from specialty labels that record and distribute their own content.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Misled requires intent...

The product is marketed as HiRes and the consumer makes his/her purchasing decision based on the information provided. The information is deliberately misleading. The intent is clear. Ignorance is no defense for misleading practices.

gvl

Major Contributor
Ah, car analogies.. One has to love them as they are often good, but rarely perfect! :D

I have a car that is capable of easilly exceeding 150mph. Maybe once or twice a year, when I'm alone in the car and the autobahn is empty I allow myself a pleasure to press the pedal to the metal and I really enjoy seeing the tachometar needle rushing toward 175mph while everything else apart from center of the road gets blurred because of speed. And then I let it go, of course, because no sane man drives like that when not on a racing course. But for that short moment, yeah.. it WAS fun.

Too bad we don't have autobahns in America, but no worry, we can still enjoy seeing tachometer needles rush to the limit even when parked in our garages.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a holdover from German. In German, speedometers are called tachometers. For what it's worth, tacho comes from the Greek takho which means speed, so both usages make some sense.

gvl

Major Contributor
Aha, good to know, thanks.

I had to dig into it and funny thing is that tachometer was invented by a German engineer and it was indeed intended to measure rotational speed (vs. linear), but they used tachometers to measure the (linear) speed of locomotives. That's how it probably stuck. Or maybe Krunok drives a locomotive. Article.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...For what it's worth, tacho comes from the Greek takho which means speed...

Ah, I get it now. Greek fast food.

1550993795488.png

So German cars have Taco Meters? Awesome. I want one that dispenses Tacos. Do they have them too?

1550994216031.png

"My car is going 100 tacos per hour"

"Mein Auto fährt 100 Stunden pro Stunde"

Top Bottom