• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The cliches of subjective audiophilia...

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you assume people are saying the wife heard power cable difference? Any link for such statement?

Why be pedantic?

'People are saying' dubious things here that are the same dubious things' 'people' have been 'saying' in audio hobby circles for decades. That spawns cliches. And cliches spawn satire. Anyone who has been following along 'gets' the relevance of 'even my wife could hear it'.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Why be pedantic?

'People are saying' dubious things here that are the same dubious things' 'people' have been 'saying' in audio hobby circles for decades. That spawns cliches. And cliches spawn satire. Anyone who has been following along 'gets' the relevance of 'even my wife could hear it'.
So why beating the same dead horse?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hear it, measure it, abx it. I have done enough to trust my hearings. How about you?

I've done it enough to not trust 'sighted' impressions and anecdotes about 'hearings', on their own.

Oddly enough, my reserve on that point is matched by common scientific practice. Your faith, not so much.

UniPolar

In the not so distant future, aliens who monitor this forum , will arrive with advanced equipment and new testing methodologies which will likely - and only then - be able to finally put to rest these type of discussions..

..Until then, just relax and enjoy your music.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So why beating the same dead horse?

Yeah, why?

We're posting on a site created *expressly* to provide a place to approach audio scientifically. It was born of a schism from another site that abandoned that stance.

Are you aware of this?

But still, even on ASR, there's frequent woo 'breakthrough' on threads like this and this. Some people just don't get it. They keep saddling up the dead horse.

You'd maybe have a point if that wasn't the case.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I've done it enough to not trust 'sighted' impressions and anecdotes about 'hearings', on their own.

Oddly enough, my reserve on that point is matched by common scientific practice. Your faith, not so much.
Didn't I said measure it and abx it? I did all that. : P

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Congratulations! I think it's wonderful that you believe in yourself! Everyone should be confident in what they believe and stand their ground against all opposition!

Everyone!
Like people who believe the world is flat, people who believe that the atom is the smallest particle of matter, people who believe vaccines cause diseases, people who believe they are superior, etc.

They ALL have the right to believe those things and say those things, just like you have the right to believe what you believe and say what you say. And all the rest of us have the right to laugh in your face, tell you that you're inexpressibly and wonderfully off your rocker, and not believe a word that you say.

I think you're looking to acquire another "Clever and Subtle Troll of The Year" award. You can use it as a bookend to hold up your "Straw Men Through the Ages" monograph. :D:D:D Jim
As I said, I supported what I claim I heard with measurements and ABX. What have you done other than rehearse the same old tired phrases?

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But you sure no wife can have better hearing than the husband? Any scientific research link to prove that?

Women of all ages have better hearing than men, particularly above 2kHz. Less so at lower frequencies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Women of all ages have better hearing than men, particularly above 2kHz. Less so at lower frequencies.
Not sure about that. My buddies twin daughters scream veryyy loud and shrill and it doesn't seem to bother women as much as men. :facepalm: It's painful.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have done quite a few blind listening tests. See my thread at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tracking-my-listening-tests.24364/post-822052

Interesting that so many people in ASR openly admit that they don't trust their own senses.

For me, the more blind tests I did and the more I figured out the root causes of differences, the more I trust my hearing and initial gut feels.
: P

What music did you listen too? What equipment were you testing? Speakers or the dreaded headphones? Will you experience with ABX testing help you pick out a difference between two sets of speaker wires? Amps? Interconnects? Anything?

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
what music did you listen too? What equipment were you testing? Speakers or the dreaded headphones?
Umm, read my link and you should get most of the information. Let me know if you have specific questions for specific tests.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Umm, read my link and you should get most of the information. Let me know if you have specific questions for specific tests.

Just wondering if you have ever accurately picked out different equipment of any type, at any time, while listening to music.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just wondering if you have ever accurately picked out different equipment of any type, at any time, while listening to music.
Sure. I watch plenty of music videos.
; )

My favorite kind of music is electronica.......You know, music that can have a lots of low sub bass, tones that float in 3D space, etc.....So, picking up different equipments is of no high importance to me.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Sure. I watch plenty of music videos.
; )

My favorite kind of music is electronica.......You know, music that can have a lots of low sub bass, tones that float in 3D space, etc.....So, picking up different equipments is of no high importance to me.

A well thought out reply! Thanks. :)

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sad, isn't it? It's time for a revolution! Enough with these scientism-ists and their measurements and bias controls. It's stifling.

Won't you please start a website alternative so we subjectivize in peace? Maybe name it the 'The Best Audio Stuff' or something like that. Yeah. Go do that, and let us know when it's open for business.

whatsbestforum is where you want to go, they actually purged all objectivist leaning folks from the site a long time ago. I don't care what you say about the color of paint on the transformer and affects on sound, you will have a ton of folks in agreement with you.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There could be a grain of truth to the "wife thing". Imagine if you are switching things around, turning the sound on & off, perhaps listening loudly, and maybe listening to the same thing over-and-over, etc. Your wife might ask, "Did you change something on you stereo again?"

And then you ask her, "Are you baking cookies again?" :D

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
whatsbestforum is where you want to go, they actually purged all objectivist leaning folks from the site a long time ago. I don't care what you say about the color of paint on the transformer and affects on sound, you will have a ton of folks in agreement with you

I know. That was the joke.

Top Bottom