• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Chromecast Audio device... Able to do hi-res streaming?

D

Deleted member 48726

Guess I was unclear. I want to know if the analog output of the CCA device is CD quality or higher?
I'm not interested in getting an external DAC.

staticV3 says the analog output is lossy.

Holdt says it's capable of 24/96.
This is the analog review. It is capable.

OP
hnash53

hnash53

This is the analog review. It is capable.

Thank you for the link... I read the whole review and even Part II which focused on the Toslink output.
I have my Chromecast Audio device connected to one of my receiver's optical inputs, and so it is using the receiver's DAC which may or may not be better than the one built into the Chromecast. Either way, I'm very satisfied with the CCA's performance.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the link... I read the whole review and even Part II which focused on the Toslink output.
I have my Chromecast Audio device connected to one of my receiver's optical inputs, and so it is using the receiver's DAC which may or may not be better than the one built into the Chromecast. Either way, I'm very satisfied with the CCA's performance.
You're overthinking the dac either way.

OP
hnash53

hnash53

You're overthinking the dac either way.
Howz that?
I just didn't want to get into the "my DAC's bigger than your DAC" kind of discussion.
That's what always happened in the previous forum I was active in...

Last edited:

Open Mind Audio

Guess I was unclear. I want to know if the analog output of the CCA device is CD quality or higher?
I'm not interested in getting an external DAC.

staticV3 says the analog output is lossy.

Holdt says it's capable of 24/96.

If you're connecting a standard RCA cable to the analog output of the CCA, the signal is converted from digital to analog, so at that point, it's an analog signal and no longer high-res, but yes, it's reading CD-quality files (16/44) or high-res quality (24/96) to create that analog signal. As you pass the signal along that RCA output, however, it is now analog for the rest of the chain, unless you introduce an analog-to-digital conversion, which would not be recommended for audio quality.

The somewhat confusing thing about the CCA is that the RCA output has two capabilities -- 1) the standard analog output via RCA, and 2) a digital output through a mini-Toslink digital cable that also fits into the RCA output. If you hook one of these mini-Toslinks up, then yes, you can then send high-res digital files downstream from the CCA, and yes, those will pass through as up to 24/96 high-res files. You can in other words transport bit-perfect digital files through the CCA, which makes it a useful and inexpensive streaming option for high-res audio. You can ONLY do this with a mini-Toslink cable, not with a standard RCA cable.

Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I suggest you read some explainers on digital audio -- it's a fun set of rabbit holes.

Reactions: ron
OP
hnash53

hnash53

If you're connecting a standard RCA cable to the analog output of the CCA, the signal is converted from digital to analog, so at that point, it's an analog signal and no longer high-res, but yes, it's reading CD-quality files (16/44) or high-res quality (24/96) to create that analog signal. As you pass the signal along that RCA output, however, it is now analog for the rest of the chain, unless you introduce an analog-to-digital conversion, which would not be recommended for audio quality.

The somewhat confusing thing about the CCA is that the RCA output has two capabilities -- 1) the standard analog output via RCA, and 2) a digital output through a mini-Toslink digital cable that also fits into the RCA output. If you hook one of these mini-Toslinks up, then yes, you can then send high-res digital files downstream from the CCA, and yes, those will pass through as up to 24/96 high-res files. You can in other words transport bit-perfect digital files through the CCA, which makes it a useful and inexpensive streaming option for high-res audio. You can ONLY do this with a mini-Toslink cable, not with a standard RCA cable.

Hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I suggest you read some explainers on digital audio -- it's a fun set of rabbit holes.
Thanks for the explanation... and, yes, I've gotten lost down a few of those rabbit holes, but on the way I've gotten some useful info and learned a bunch of stuff.

Oukkidoukki

Qobuz from ipad to chromecast audio toslink to rme adi 2 fs aint as good as qobuz in pc with wasabi exlusive mode wired to adi 2. There is extra fidelity but wireless nice to use. People use pi but I am not keen. We need box that have wasabi level audio and can handle 24 bit 192 hand shake (chromecast) over the air.

D

Deleted member 48726

Qobuz from ipad to chromecast audio toslink to rme adi 2 fs aint as good as qobuz in pc with wasabi exlusive mode wired to adi 2. There is extra fidelity but wireless nice to use. People use pi but I am not keen. We need box that have wasabi level audio and can handle 24 bit 192 hand shake (chromecast) over the air.
Chromecast is bit perfect. What you hear seems unlikely.

Oukkidoukki

Yes, maybe there is something in qobuz software structure, for example. When I play 24 bit 44 khz file in pc it shows that. In ipad when using chromecast it can show - / 44 khz. So maybe there is some conversion from qobuz over the air to chromecast. I have enabled hi res in ipad app.

Also I bought new Pink floyd DSOTM Wav. Tracks 24 bit 96 khz. Tried to play them from ipad hard drive with vlc player and send to chromecast. There was noise in sound. Same with android phone. Pretty booring. Somekind of bullet proof box which can take wav files and hadle qobuz in wasabi mode should come to market. Price 150 bucks. Fluid control with ipad. Too hard now to pull easy to use and top quality.

Top Bottom