• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The cheapest mastering monitor solution?(20-20khz flat)

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what size room and listening distance are we talking?

Revel f206 (optimised with DSP) and 4 smallish subs with EQ up to ~300Hz at listening position.

fullr.jpg

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So even with 4 subs you didn't manage to correct that dip at 60Hz? :) Have you applied phase correction on them as well?

Not even with 5. It is a property of the room in the modal range and this is the absolute best I could squeeze out. Strangely enough it's not very audible with a tone generator.

Some buttkickers give some extra tactile heft below 50Hz as well.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Not even with 5. It is a property of the room in the modal range and this is the absolute best I could squeeze out. Strangely enough it's not very audible with a tone generator.

Some buttkickers give some extra tactile heft below 50Hz as well.

Well it certainly looks very good! Have you tried measuring and correcting the phase between subs? Or you're saying that all of them are having dip at that point?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it certainly looks very good! Have you tried measuring and correcting the phase between subs? Or you're saying that all of them are having dip at that point?

Yes. Did all of that. I can manipulate it somewhat but it causes different issues of greater offence. I also have an incredible mode around 40Hz which requires 12dB of cutting on each individual sub plus another 9dB on the global EQ.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The cost driver in this challenge is the requirement to be "flat to 20hz". Luckily, you won't need it over a large listening area, but still that will likely require multiple subs and sophisticated DSP. I'd start by entering the room dimensions in the REW Room Sim and figure out the minimum number of subs you'll need. But just a quick estimate of 2 subs, monitors, and DSP I think you'd need to spend at least $2600.

If you are willing to compromise a bit - say flat to 40hz - you can potentially save a lot of money. My system is reasonably flat to 40hz and cost about $600. It drops like a rock below 35hz, but I'm ok with that.

tuga

Major Contributor
Maybe Neumann KH80dsp + JBL LSR310?
(We all know mastering level gear is too expensive....)
Like :WSDG like using Lipinski L707A as mastering monitor.....
Bob Ludwig use Eggleston Work IVY......

Will it directivity bad or other problem?

Depending on the nature of your work, it might make more sense to invest in a system that is higher peformance but which doesn't extend as much in the low frequencies.

flaviowolff

Do yourself a favor - get reasonably priced good monitors (JBL, Adam, Focal, etc), then buy a MiniDSP and a Cross Spectrum UMIK-1. Then pay a visit to GIK Acoustics to treat your room properly. Then calibrate the response to be correct in your room at your listening position.

What target curve should the mastering system be corrected to?

Maxicut

You do not/cannot master using subs...
6" flat curve nearfield monitors. Anything bigger than 6" is for playback & is not suitable for mixing or mastering.

Maxicut

Ridiculous. Look into some of the best known mastering houses. They don't stop at 6 inches.
This is an area of audio that I can really pull you up on sunshine...
Tell me about these mastering houses? Do they master on small or large monitors? Or do they master on small monitors & check the mix on various other sources?
Do you really believe that the HUGE Bowers & Wilkins that Abbey Road have are used for mixing &/or mastering?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an area of audio that I can really pull you up on sunshine...
Tell me about these mastering houses? Do they master on small or large monitors? Or do they master on small monitors & check the mix on various other sources?
Do you really believe that the HUGE Bowers & Wilkins that Abbey Road have are used for mixing &/or mastering?
This fellow disagrees. His top 5 choices have 4 which have large woofers. And he apparently did use the B&W's at Abbey Road for mastering.

Bob Ludwig, mastering guru, winner of a slew of awards helped create this and uses them for mastering:
http://egglestonworks.com/products/the-ivy-signature/ Uses 6 12 inch woofers per channel.
1591163814036.png

Now I agree it isn't uncommon for mastering guys to stop at 6 or 6.5 inchers (maybe two of them per monitor) in order not to get their mastering room too involved in the low end. Or to do most mastering on these sizes and only check with the larger speakers. It is easier to get good translation that way. But it is hardly true at all times or with some of the best mastering guys in the business. Some of those want and use speakers with plenty of low end and large woofers so they'll know everything that is happening during their mastering.

Maxicut

The photo above is used for mixing/mastering???... pointless conversation. BTW, Bob Ludwig is a self-appointed guru. If you were in the industry you would know that he was a dick.

Maxicut

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The photo above is used for mixing/mastering???... pointless conversation. BTW, Bob Ludwig is a self-appointed guru. If you were in the industry you would know that he was a dick.
Yes, the above photo is of the Mastering speaker that Bob Ludwig helped develop and that he used/uses at his Gateway mastering studio. Don't know the man. He has won bunches of awards for his work. Yes, I know that doesn't guarantee quality by itself. Still there it is.

Okay, so I guess Bob Katz is not a good guy either is he. Here is a picture of his studio for mastering. Along with the large speakers shown (Dynaudio Mp5s) he augements them with multiple JL audio 12 inch Fanthom subs.
1591165321481.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The curve must be F.L.A.T... as flat possible, to the point of it sounding bad because there is absolutely no colourisation at-all. That's the only way you can find & correct mistakes in the mix

Well maybe you should involve mitchco (Mitch Barnett) in the discussion. The OP of that other thread. I think he has now made his living in the business for 40 years.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the in room measurement response. If the anechoic response is flat, which is desired, even a monitor fairly close won't measure flat in room. It will have a slope, and that is the House curve I'm thinking of here.

I'm no pro, never made a dime doing this. So you can take it for what it is worth. I do find it curious you want flat bordering on sounding bad to find mistakes, but don't want a large woofer that can plumb the lower frequencies.

Top Bottom