• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The cheapest mastering monitor solution?(20-20khz flat)

Reynon

Maybe Neumann KH80dsp + JBL LSR310?
(We all know mastering level gear is too expensive....)
Like :WSDG like using Lipinski L707A as mastering monitor.....
Bob Ludwig use Eggleston Work IVY......

Will it directivity bad or other problem?

Vintage57

Forum Donor
anyone?

Promit

Do yourself a favor - get reasonably priced good monitors (JBL, Adam, Focal, etc), then buy a MiniDSP and a Cross Spectrum UMIK-1. Then pay a visit to GIK Acoustics to treat your room properly. Then calibrate the response to be correct in your room at your listening position.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Promit gave good advice.

Could you give us more detail on what your goals are? What music are you mastering that needs 20 hz response for instance? There is little gained below 40 hz with most, and it gets expensive to do 30 hz and more so 20 hz. Plus below 200 hz how flat the response is has more to do with working within the dimensions of the room. A perfectly flat subwoofer once placed in a room will have peaks and dips that are quite sizable.

Do you already have a mastering monitoring setup, if so what is it and what is deficient for your purposes?

If you are just setting up your first time a pair of LSR305s can go a long way to good mastering even without a subwoofer. Maybe you already have better gear and experience than this level.

OP
R

Reynon

Promit gave good advice.

Could you give us more detail on what your goals are? What music are you mastering that needs 20 hz response for instance? There is little gained below 40 hz with most, and it gets expensive to do 30 hz and more so 20 hz. Plus below 200 hz how flat the response is has more to do with working within the dimensions of the room. A perfectly flat subwoofer once placed in a room will have peaks and dips that are quite sizable.

Do you already have a mastering monitoring setup, if so what is it and what is deficient for your purposes?

If you are just setting up your first time a pair of LSR305s can go a long way to good mastering even without a subwoofer. Maybe you already have better gear and experience than this level.
My studio use genelec 1238, but at home , I want to have a cheap soluion to get a "reference" monitor . And 20hz-20khz flat is a difficult target , I want to discuss feasibility in low budget?

OP
R

Reynon

Do yourself a favor - get reasonably priced good monitors (JBL, Adam, Focal, etc), then buy a MiniDSP and a Cross Spectrum UMIK-1. Then pay a visit to GIK Acoustics to treat your room properly. Then calibrate the response to be correct in your room at your listening position.
I will try it,look so nice

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For mastering, which spl do you want? i don’t like to master with nearfield s. I put mine at almost 3m.
that put out of the equation all the cheap one. I would use something like kalis with 2 to 4 subs to tame the bass.
then you need to measure your room and add some treatment above 250hz. Also look at rt60 in your room.
can you build a wall behind the desk to embed the speakers?

1238 are excellent for that but they still need a large sub to go to 20hz.
for cheap and good, I would go DIY way.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, at which distance do you plan to use them?
for cheap and good, I would go DIY way.
Although I agree that DIY can be a great solution especially for larger loudspeakers/SPL, you can't really beat price-wise current good ready products in the very low price class like for example JBL 305, a tad over $100 for a DSP bi-amp active monitor with well designed waveguides.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those Genelec's are specified as - 6 db at 30 hz. With room gain they probably make 30 hz or so in a larger studio.

Maybe a Neumann KH80 ($1000/pr) with a Rythmik sub. How big of a Rythmik and whether one or two depends upon your room I think.

Here is a review and measurement of the KH80.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-80-dsp-monitor-review.11018/

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

I think the F12 is the sweet spot for really good performance and value in this line. OTOH, a pair of L12's instead of one F12 is a reasonable choice too. These to get town to 20 hz. I've used them in some systems.

So KH80's and some variation from Rythmik could get you there for $2000 to $2300 depending upon the sub choice.

You also could get there with LSR 305s or 308s if you need to fill a larger space. And one L12 Rythmik ($650). This could be a way to get there for $1000 to $1200 total. Depends upon how much the 305's leave on the table vs better monitors. My opinion is the LSR series because of some built in compression at their loudest levels become opaque sounding. If your using them nearfield in a small space, you won't experience that.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd say Neumann's KH120A or Genelec's 8030 with a cheap subwoofer like the LSR310. The KH80DSP or 8020/8320 would probably have SPL problems and the 8330 is quite expensive, as is the necessary GLM kit.
Distance/SPL is the main question, as always.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say Neumann's KH120A or Genelec's 8030 with a cheap subwoofer like the LSR310. The KH80DSP or 8020/8320 would probably have SPL problems and the 8330 is quite expensive, as is the necessary GLM kit.
Distance/SPL is the main question, as always.
The LSR310 won't get to 20 hz.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The LSR310 won't get to 20 hz.
That strongly depends on room gain and placement, for example my desktop KEF LS50 setup (anechoic -3dB point at 79 Hz!) gets linearly to 20 Hz!! with just 5 dB EQ gain thanks to both (placement near the front wall).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Maybe Neumann KH80dsp + JBL LSR310?
(We all know mastering level gear is too expensive....)
Like :WSDG like using Lipinski L707A as mastering monitor.....
Bob Ludwig use Eggleston Work IVY......

Will it directivity bad or other problem?

JBL 705p's on B-Stock sale for $500 each, and a sub of choice...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the LSR310 is rated at 27 hz at -10 db.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That strongly depends on room gain and placement, for example my desktop KEF LS50 setup (anechoic -3dB point at 79 Hz!) gets linearly to 20 Hz!! with just 5 dB EQ gain thanks to both (placement near the front wall).
And what SPL does the mighty 5 1/4 inch LS50 woofer manage at 20 hz?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience with subs matches that described by Earl Geddes in this DIYaudio post.

Duke

I never suspected that anyone would use that report to support room gain - live and learn.

I am not a strong proponent of room gain because it requires a very well sealed room and I haven't seen any of those yet.

I recently did an extensive set of measurements in my listening room which is far far better sealed than most - its sound proof and any leaks are sound leaks. (I'm going to document the procedure for setting up multiple subs. ) Well there was no sign at all of any room gain - nada - nothing. Just two dominate modes at 20 Hz and 40 Hz that no amount of placements and adjustment could seem to get rid of - mind you because the room is so well damped these modes are only about +3 dB. But had I any EQ, I could have gotten a nearly ruller flat *in-room* LF response - multiple subs work. The response went down to 20 Hz and then dropped like a stone

Sorry - no room gain below that.

As to the room having +3 dB below 100 Hz, I guess that I'd ask relative to what?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/roo...ain-complementary-rgc-tuning-post1662065.html

Top Bottom