• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Cable Debate Just Ended

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think normal cable risers would work ok with these cables? I'm concerned that the extreme purity of these would need more protection from the seismic vibrations and static electricity that all cable runs of any length are vulnerable to. My current risers are not rated for first extrusion, only 2nd and above.

I would think it would still pass a signal through, but I would hate to squander the benefits that these offer. A way to protect their virginity, if you will.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Do you think normal cable risers would work ok with these cables? I'm concerned that the extreme purity of these would need more protection from the seismic vibrations and static electricity that all cable runs of any length are vulnerable to. My current risers are not rated for first extrusion, only 2nd and above.

I would think it would still pass a signal through, but I would hate to squander the benefits that these offer. A way to protect their virginity, if you will.
Would you put normal tires on a Ferrari? Would you pair a 2014 Chateau Canon with a normal non-aged steak? I think you know the answer, but because electrical interference from the floor can vary, you should experiment with cable lifters of different heights and offer full suspension capabilities.

Personally I found 8” above my floor veiled treble ever so slightly but created the most compelling sound field. Dropping to 7” fixed the treble but collapsed the sound field to a narrow zone. I tried compromising at 7.5” but instruments failed to offer proper cohesion. The solution was a custom design I came up with myself. Six pairs of Louis No Limit’s had the perfect height, material quality and suspension qualities to create the perfect lift. With built in cable ties, limited surface area touching the ground and a choice of colors I don’t know why anyone uses anything else.

dkinric

Yeah, that's what I thought. Is there a recommended height setting for the First Run cables? I try and run each cable at their manufacturer recommended height off the floor (as a baseline at least). Maybe 7.5" works well at your longitude and latitude and elevation from sea level, but relation to Earth's magnetic core differs around the globe. I think this is important so the cable is operating at its ideal altitude relative to the components. Below is my setup. As you can see, it can get complicated quickly, but I feel it is vital for unencumbered electron flow.

1622208327772.png

Last edited:

MBI

Thanks for sharing this parodic video.
However, I wonder if some could buy it in, since not everybody knows the two songs.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that's what I thought. Is there a recommended height setting for the First Run cables? I try and run each cable at their manufacturer recommended height off the floor (as a baseline at least). Maybe 7.5" works well at your longitude and latitude and elevation from sea level, but relation to Earth's magnetic core differs around the globe. I think this is important so the cable is operating at its ideal altitude relative to the components. Below is my setup. As you can see, it can get complicated quickly, but I feel it is vital for unencumbered electron flow.

View attachment 132388

I see you followed the Rube Goldberg theory of home audio gear connection.

Kegemusha

Sadly I was on the wrong side of the argument. I never believed cables (unless they put some kind of resistor in them) would make any difference in sound quality. I'm a forum donor here at ASR. I watched @Gene DellaSala at Audioholics call high end cables snake oil, and his evidence was irrefutable. And I believe up to this exact moment, Amir and Gene were correct - high end cables were snake oil.

But this new company, First Run Copper, as reviewed in this video, are clearly superior - you can here the difference and I swear its not psycho-acoustics. I honestly won't believe anyone who says they can't hear the difference between generic cables and these ultra-expensive speaker cables.

As a fervent believer in all things science I am forced to keep an open mind and after learning about First Run Copper speaker cables from this video, I can no longer believe the argument that cables do not matter. The evidence in this video is just too strong. Now I have to save up my money for these speaker cables.

and what is the science here? A clip with bad and then another with good sound? I just saw the 1st clip, nonsense to me.
And just for 18000usd you get the better sound.

Not my cup of tea.

dkinric

and what is the science here? A clip with bad and then another with good sound? I just saw the 1st clip, nonsense to me.
And just for 18000usd you get the better sound.

Not my cup of tea.
It's certainly not for everyone. You would need to have a system revealing and transparent enough to hear a difference. Many are just not invested enough to take into account the earth's magnetic fields and cable altitude when designing their cable runs. That's your call - but do so at your peril. Gravity and neutrinos (Science!) don't care what you think.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor

View attachment 132388
Puts most roller coasters to shame. Damn!

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 132388

Do you make sure that the cables are elevated more at the source? This way gravity helps the signal flow in the right direction, so electrons don’t have to struggle as much to go uphill.

dkinric

Do you make sure that the cables are elevated more at the source? This way gravity helps the signal flow in the right direction, so electrons don’t have to struggle as much to go uphill.
You would think so, this makes intuitive sense. However, it's really about timing the arrival so the individual electron streams have similar velocities. So, some, like digital signals, you want to slow down - "go uphill" - whereas others, like those in analog cables, you want to speed up - "go downhill". Getting these properly aligned reduces smearing in the time-domain.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
No, you want just the opposite. With the speakers higher than the amps. That way the energized electrons leave the amp go up to the speaker and do their work, now the tired electrons can coast downhill back to the amp.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You would think so, this makes intuitive sense. However, it's really about timing the arrival so the individual electron streams have similar velocities. So, some, like digital signals, you want to slow down - "go uphill" - whereas others, like those in analog cables, you want to speed up - "go downhill". Getting these properly aligned reduces smearing in the time-domain.

Wow. Good point! Didn’t think about the time alignment factor. That’s crucial for best soundstage and image focus.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you want just the opposite. With the speakers higher than the amps. That way the energized electrons leave the amp go up to the speaker and do their work, now the tired electrons can coast downhill back to the amp.

I’d imagine then that speakers should have the two terminals separated vertically, one at the top of the speaker as the entry point, the other at the bottom, where electrons exit. I’m surprised nobody’s done this yet! I love these scientific discussions!

jkasch

Forum Donor
Same reason cars with elevated rear ends go faster. Always going down hill.
1622224154360.png

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I don't see how anyone can call themselves an audiophile and not at least want to hear for themselves how much more musical your existing components will sound. Don't let the "measurement monkeys" tell you otherwise.

Better ingredients = Better results. It's science, people.

Measurement monkey's can now make $1 million - if they want to lie and not admit that First Run Copper isn't the BEST they've ever heard.

thornclaw

also, as is well known, decreased temperature decreases resistance in the wire which is why i keep the room temperature at 55 degrees for critical listening sessions

Top Bottom