• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Cable Debate Just Ended

JSmith

Master Contributor
Now I have to save up my money for these speaker cables.
1621831474664.png

JSmith

THW

Forum Donor
edit: ah the video itself is made as a joke. you got me good, consider me bamboozled, well played. it's a really good satirical piece as well, poking fun at various marketing blurb that audiophiles routinely fall for!

note: i know OP is joking, this is in response to the video itself

watched the video, and maybe i'm just a pleb who doesn't (needlessly) spend thousands of dollars, but i thought there wasn't much difference in sound quality, and even then to the laymen the comparison is simply not convincing since he isn't playing the exact same samples in his comparisons.

in addition, why does he talk about how they "inspect the raw copper" and why he and the company feels the need to compare copper to olive oil? also the talk about "first extrusion being the best"?

i'm no expert, but just a quick search on the internet tells me extrusion is more related to shaping the metal rather than changing the metallurgy of the metal itself. also last i checked, olive oil is waaay different from copper?? and aren't there ways to purify or refine the raw copper ore, so the purity of the copper ore is irrelevant?

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The anticipation is over. The interview video is up and the Doctor explains in excruciating detail why First Run Copper speaker cables make music sound so much better. I'm NOT an engineer or a scientist, so the explanations were so far over my head that I got dizzy just trying to stay focused.

However, the idea that really stuck with me is that better raw materials make better products. That's a no brainer. First Run isn't using "standard copper" they're actually throwing out 90+% of what goes into regular speaker cable. I think once @amirm sees this video and recognizes that he grows fresh vegetables in his garden, he too will have the "aha" moment I just had. Now to save up my pennies.

Twitch54

one of the most ridiculous videos ever posted, can't believe I watched even a small portion of it !

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
one of the most ridiculous videos ever posted, can't believe I watched even a small portion of it !

Seriously! I'm disappointed there was not even a mention of quantum mechanics from Dr. Tist, as I understand that this explains all the main advantages of first-run copper cables. I hope he does another interview with a more technical deep-dive.

dkinric

I don't see how anyone can call themselves an audiophile and not at least want to hear for themselves how much more musical your existing components will sound. Don't let the "measurement monkeys" tell you otherwise.

Better ingredients = Better results. It's science, people.

THW

Forum Donor
I don't see how anyone can call themselves an audiophile and not at least want to hear for themselves how much more musical your existing components will sound. Don't let the "measurement monkeys" tell you otherwise.

Better ingredients = Better results. It's science, people.
bigger number better

Nomad

Seriously! I'm disappointed there was not even a mention of quantum mechanics from Dr. Tist, as I understand that this explains all the main advantages of first-run copper cables. I hope he does another interview with a more technical deep-dive.

I think he was considering going there when he was talking about measurements only being 0 and 1 @3:50. But I think he understands that his brilliance will never be able to reach us, so instead of qubits he talked about tomato instead. Wise man.

Twitch54

my favorite part is where the idiot with the sunglasses says they throw 95% of the copper away, he probably has no clue of its value........

yes, I know that was his terminology for just saying they didn't use it in their silly cables

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor

thegeton

Forum Donor
I listen to First Run cables every chance I get. I don't even use speakers -- I just put my ear next to the cable. It makes that much of a difference!

"I don't need no TV screen. Just stick the aerial into my skin. Let the signal run through my veins" From the song TVOD by The Normal

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any long word clock cables on his site...

Top Bottom