• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Cable Debate Just Ended

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sadly I was on the wrong side of the argument. I never believed cables (unless they put some kind of resistor in them) would make any difference in sound quality. I'm a forum donor here at ASR. I watched @Gene DellaSala at Audioholics call high end cables snake oil, and his evidence was irrefutable. And I believe up to this exact moment, Amir and Gene were correct - high end cables were snake oil.

But this new company, First Run Copper, as reviewed in this video, are clearly superior - you can here the difference and I swear its not psycho-acoustics. I honestly won't believe anyone who says they can't hear the difference between generic cables and these ultra-expensive speaker cables.

As a fervent believer in all things science I am forced to keep an open mind and after learning about First Run Copper speaker cables from this video, I can no longer believe the argument that cables do not matter. The evidence in this video is just too strong. Now I have to save up my money for these speaker cables.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly I was on the wrong side of the argument. I never believed cables (unless they put some kind of resistor in them) would make any difference in sound quality. I'm a forum donor here at ASR. I watched @Gene DellaSala at Audioholics call high end cables snake oil, and his evidence was irrefutable. And I believe up to this exact moment, Amir and Gene were correct - high end cables were snake oil.

But this new company, First Run Copper, as reviewed in this video, are clearly superior - you can here the difference and I swear its not psycho-acoustics. I honestly won't believe anyone who says they can't hear the difference between generic cables and these ultra-expensive speaker cables.

As a fervent believer in all things science I am forced to keep an open mind and after learning about First Run Copper speaker cables from this video, I can no longer believe the argument that cables do not matter. The evidence in this video is just too strong. Now I have to save up my money for these speaker cables.

The sound clips make it so obvious! It's like the sound struggles with the generic cables and doesn't quite make it all the way through, but the First Run Copper cables let it all out, unobstructed.

EB1000

If those snake oil cables made an audible difference over YouTube's crappy lossy audio encoding and the difference could be heard using generic speaker cables, then one could use them in a recording studio to re-master the recording to make it sound better.. You could re-record the audio passing it through the snake oil cables to further improve it... Give me a break. I didn't hear any difference. Speaker cables carry high-level signal with very high noise immunity. You don't need any fancy cables unless you're running over 20 meters of length, in which case you'll need better gauge...

Leporello

Watching this video is like inspecting something as it comes out of the cow...
But this is from the website:
Nothing comes close to first extrusion copper. It's significantly better than any other copper, much like Extra Virgin Olive oil is much better than the second or third pressing.
What more evidence do you need?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh it sounds different all right: OP, you do realize that vocals on Jetro Tull's "Aqualung" are supposed to sound tinny at times, and then they fade in the full frequency spectrum, right? I could pull the same stupid stunt using various tracks by Electric Light Orchestra. Something out of a cow, indeed.

peniku8

Forum Donor
To be completely honest, I can't tell if this video was made by a troll, an idiot or somebody from the company trying to market their scam.
Hearing that they're on back order with those prices makes me think twice why I'm trying to make money putting an honest effort into developing high quality products at a reasonable cost; I could just be selling cables at a million percent markup to unknowledgable rich people...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be completely honest, I can't tell if this video was made by a troll, an idiot or somebody from the company trying to market their scam.
Hearing that they're on back order with those prices makes me think twice why I'm trying to make money putting an honest effort into developing high quality products at a reasonable cost; I could just be selling cables at a million percent markup to unknowledgable rich people...

How could this be a scam? Just the name of the CEO inspires confidence and trust: Dr. Connor Tist.

The company does need to invest in advertising and SEO. Searching for first run copper, I came up with this, at the top of the list:

peniku8

Forum Donor
How could this be a scam? Just the name of the CEO inspires confidence and trust: Dr. Connor Tist.

The company does need to invest in advertising and SEO. Searching for first run copper, I came up with this, at the top of the list:

Right, I should try that some time, maybe that gives me the inspiration I need..! :)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lol @SimpleTheater if your irony is too subtle, some people on ASR won't catch it
I think that's what makes it so hilarious. People are confused.
The music samples on the video were great. I would have gone with the intro to Wish You Were Here myself for the needle drop demos, but Aqualung works too.
I look forward to the interview.

SKBubba

Wow, the sound difference is incredible. I'd say at least 8 times better, not just four. I can hear it very clearly, even on my crappy tablet speakers. I bet MQA files would sound even more incredible through these cables. Is the company going to make interconnects, too? On the other hand, the exponential increase in sound quality might fry some amps and speakers. So maybe not.

DSJR

Major Contributor
You lot are being a little bit unkind to us autistically inclined peeps you know, who don't immediately 'get' irony without a helping emoji...... ;)

Semla

Thank you for sharing this fantastic find @SimpleTheater. Your humility and open mind are an inspiration to all of us scientifically minded audio fanatics and I watched the video with increasing delight . While I, a highly trained listener, was convinced immediately, the effect might be a bit subtle for mere mortals though. Do you think that my wife would hear the difference from the kitchen?

Top Bottom