• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The build of the Heissmann Acoustics DXT-MON

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

The scales.. what should I do? I have no possibility to calibrate the system. So I and also you must live with that funny scales. Thats life. But the printings from the measurement systems are very nice ;-) and not to forget: I's a system for Mac user. So what?
Does somebody know a "better" system for Mac? For my opinion, Fuzzmeasure pro is the only one available....
Take a look here:
http://www.rodetest.com
the same funny scales ,-)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

The scales.. what should I do? I have no possibility to calibrate the system. So I and also you must live with that funny scales. Thats life. But the printings from the measurement systems are very nice ;-) and not to forget: I's a system for Mac user. So what?
Does somebody know a "better" system for Mac? For my opinion, Fuzzmeasure pro is the only one available....
Take a look here:
http://www.rodetest.com
the same funny scales ,-)

Scale can mean many things, this is what I’m referring to ...

1608571379807.jpeg

Tangband

Major Contributor
First listening to this setup is very exciting. Bass response is exceptional for such a small speaker. My wife did‘t belief that bass coming out from this speaker and not from an additional subwoofer. But yes, really deep bass is not there, but for music of all genres more than enough and this to really high leves (but no discolevel at all). the difference in the bass response to the situation before (no additional mass) is not very pronounced, to check this you need really special sources and also a lot of time for evaluating this.
placement of the speakers are now e.g 80cm in front off backwall and e.g. 1m beside side wall. Listening distance is about 2 m from the speakers. Distance between the speakers 2m.
Reproduction off middle and treble, room imaging: there is nothing to worry about. Perfect.
Nice loudspeakers !
Only one suggestion , the industry standard for measurements is a window thatś 50 dB high. You can change that if you want.

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

Hello Forum,
so im proudly to present my subwoofer-Integegration to the DXT-MON speakers.
This subwoofer is about 20 years old but still in very good conditions, a little dint on the dustcap, but that doesn't matter. The subwoofer electronics are fully analog, no DSP or such things used.
Here is the overview of the system:

The subwoofer is an old Visaton TIW250 in about 40 Liter closed cabinet, maked of 25mm MDF-Wood plate. Front is 50mm strong. Also the system is very heavy.
Here is the subwoofer in detail:

And the dustcap with the "Impact".

The subwoofer amp with the adjustable filters. Very easy to operate. Output power is about 120W Sinus.

And how does it sound: Here are the nearfiled measurements of this system:

pink is the response without "filter", e.g. bypass active. As it seems to be not really without filter.
yellow and green: some settings of the pots
red: with bassboost set to 25Hz and amplification of +4db the upper frequency is on the lowes level, a little bit too high, but its o.k.

The integration of the complete system is now as shown here:
Mic position on the listening point, e.g. 2,5m distance to the speakers.
yellow curve: DXT_MON without subwoofer
blue curve: With Subwoofer. Level was after mesasuring reduced a little bit bec. of a little too much base.
Sound quality after this operation: nearby perfect.

BostonJack

Editor
I'm late to the party, but congratulations on such a beautiful speaker build. I have the DXT-Mon plans and I'm planning to build them this Summer. (Must access a builder space with table saw, router). I looked into purchasing cabinet kit but the cost of shipping to the U.S. is about equal to the cabinet cost. Current plan is to do the front baffle in an exotic hardwood with a lot of colorful grain, finish that in bright varnish, and have an automotive guy do the rest of the cabinet in high gloss white. Again, a really lovely build.

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

The party is not over the system is sounding better and better during time. Last I’ve tried using Tidal instead of Apple Music, also an improvement too. The subwoofer is now not in the middle of the room, a little on the right side. Less room mode induction Is the result of this.
Sound is great, with high or low level playing in combination with the sub. And the expensive scanspeak speakers are gone not missing!

Digital_Thor

Looks nice. I know you dont like a DSP.... but maybe a little EQ ;) Cause if you could lower that hump at around 55hz.... it would sound smoother. I use 4 subwoofers and the trick is to find an integration with the mains, so that there is only something to dampen in the end - since suckouts are the ones we want to avoid.
By the way.... my father has a post-weight-scale just like yours :)

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

the problem is I don’t have a DSP at the moment. Maybe it is possible to do something like this with Audirvana Or Roon? I have only the old audirvana software (the one with the „Amp“ on the Desktop).
but I must say, the little hump at 55Hz is not a big problem. The sound is all together as transparent as it gets.
and the post-weight-scale is very old but perfect for measuring small weights as like weight for the passive radiator :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

Here something about room acoustic:
measurement system is „audionet Carma“.
mic position is on listening Position in my room. (4,6m x 5,6m x 2,6m)
Room acoustic looks like this:

frequency response on listening Position is this, including subwoofer.

i think That is okay.

greetings Walter

Digital_Thor

yep... this is nice. I also have around +/-5dB in the bass. There are some dips.... but they are not to be "fixed" since they are because of the room and to high in frequency to be fixed by EQ - mainly around 280hz.
Is it a frequency dependent window gating?

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

This is without any EQ or DSP tuning. And I think it doesn’t make sense to optimize the dip around 280Hz because if you place the mic some 20cm around the actual listening position, the frequency response looks a little different and the dip will transform to a small peak or something else.
what window gating the measurement system is using, I don’t know.

Digital_Thor

This is without any EQ or DSP tuning. And I think it doesn’t make sense to optimize the dip around 280Hz because if you place the mic some 20cm around the actual listening position, the frequency response looks a little different and the dip will transform to a small peak or something else.
what window gating the measurement system is using, I don’t know.
I agree... might point exactly, was that you cant fix the 280hz with EQ ;)
I would suggest to look into gating, cause this could be important for your measurement accuracy. Some types of gating only snaps the bite from the first part of the impulse(quasi anechoic) and others lengthen the window as frequency drops, to capture more of the increasing wavelength.
Is there a specific reason why you are not using the free REW?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Fuzzmeasure is ok, but Win programs seem to be more popular in DIY world. Any measurement system requires understanding what various settings do. Calibration file for the mic is also needed for hifi. I'm not worried about graphic scales, but right window length and smoothing ratio should be told always. And yes, I have a mechanical post scale too, from my grandparents.

REW is available for MACs based on Intel chip
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Vavilen

First listening to this setup is very exciting. Bass response is exceptional for such a small speaker. My wife did‘t belief that bass coming out from this speaker and not from an additional subwoofer. But yes, really deep bass is not there, but for music of all genres more than enough and this to really high leves (but no discolevel at all). the difference in the bass response to the situation before (no additional mass) is not very pronounced, to check this you need really special sources and also a lot of time for evaluating this.
placement of the speakers are now e.g 80cm in front off backwall and e.g. 1m beside side wall. Listening distance is about 2 m from the speakers. Distance between the speakers 2m.
Reproduction off middle and treble, room imaging: there is nothing to worry about. Perfect.
How do you think which version would give better bass: passive membrane or bass reflex?
Thanks!

OP
EXIF68

EXIF68

In my case definetely passive membrane! you can play louder, better bass precision, no port resonances and no problems with air turbulences. And with additional weights you can influence the bass responce you want.
disadvantage: a little more to pay.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my case definetely passive membrane! you can play louder, better bass precision, no port resonances and no problems with air turbulences. And with additional weights you can influence the bass responce you want.
disadvantage: a little more to pay.
Bought the plans for the speaker kit before I noticed this threat. Late for the party but nevertheless congrats: that's a beautiful pair of speakers!

Since the tweeter is not available at this very moment in Germany, I will have to wait in patience: seems like a project for this summer.

My speakers will be a bit different than yours because I will use an existing enclosure from the 80s with a slightly different frontplate and I am going to replace the PR on the side with an oval PR of SB Acoustics at the back (a bit like the Burchardt 400). Hopefully it will be successful and I will share some of my experiences later on.

Again: thanks for this inspiring thread and take care.

Herzliche Grüße von einem Halbösterreicher :)

Top Bottom