• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The best Pro Class D + DSP amp Crown|QSC|Dynacord|Lab Gruppen|Powersoft

KING DRANZER

Guys which is the best 4ch Class D Pro amp with DSP features for eq, crossover and timing. Which is most neutral and transparent and lowest possible distortion. For 4-way speakers.

Crown:
DCi 4|1250

QSC:
DCA 3422

Dynacord:
IPX 10:4

Lab Gruppen:
D40:4L

Powersoft:
Quattrocanali 2404

Last edited:

ocinn

Not the exact models (although it will translate somewhat) but i always found this article very valuable in understanding how different manufacturers architecture deals with continuous output and thermals. https://forums.melaudia.net/attachment.php?aid=30627

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Do you need 2500 watts to drive a tweeter ?
Some of those amps are in the $8000 dollar range and you will two of them to drive a pair of 4 ways.
Lots of cheaper ways to power a pair of 4 ways with class D amplification.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A minidsp flex8 with a 4 channel icepower/hypex/purifi really is in a different league.

I say that as a previous owner of Crown 4/1200 dci and hypex dlcp + hypex.

You don't want noise and you do want clean power.

kipman725

the minidsp dosen't have limiters though? I would expect at least a peak and 'RMS' limiter per channel for pro application. Also the ability to handle at least 18dBu signal level.

aaddas

Yamaha PX5 or PX8 better than CROWN and LAB Gr.
With using power cord AWG 14 (3x2.5mm2).

D

Deleted member 48726

Yamaha PX5 or PX8 better than CROWN and LAB Gr.
With using power cord AWG 14 (3x2.5mm2).
Really? Are there any shared experience or measurements on these new Yamaha PX models?
I think it's suspicious that they rate their power by 20 ms burst only. I'm curious of how they perform in real life.

aaddas

By listening you will hear amazing sound

aaddas

I did it by myself
Electric building wire 14 awg + MK uk plug + IEC elec + tinned copper braided sleeving
Total cost $70

Attachments

• 20230218_233133.jpg
    20230218_233133.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230218_233052.jpg
    20230218_233052.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 95
  • SmartSelect_20230220_191449_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230220_191449_Chrome.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 90
  • SmartSelect_20230220_191424_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230220_191424_Chrome.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 81

chelgrian

Guys which is the best 4ch Class D Pro amp with DSP features for eq, crossover and timing. Which is most neutral and transparent and lowest possible distortion. For 4-way speakers.

Crown:
DCi 4|1250

QSC:
DCA 3422

Dynacord:
IPX 10:4

Lab Gruppen:
D40:4L

Powersoft:
Quattrocanali 2404
Powersoft are rebadged by a lot of companies and sell a lot of OEM modules.

However I don't know of any measurements or listening tests of Pro brands against good nCore or Purifi based designs.

I've had two QSC class D amps die on me so personally I've got a black mark against them for reliability.

fixitguy09

I use a Lab Gruppen 20k44 to drive pair of Infinity RS1B's via Dante input from music server setup in a rack in utility room with all the NAS's, ethernet switch, UPS, etc. The 20K44 has new fans that are dead quiet. I remote into music server with RDP via tablet, phone etc. The 20K44 is VERY clean amp, system as a whole works very well

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Rdalem

A minidsp flex8 with a 4 channel icepower/hypex/purifi really is in a different league.

I say that as a previous owner of Crown 4/1200 dci and hypex dlcp + hypex.

You don't want noise and you do want clean power.
I am the owner of a Crown 4/300 N dci. I read an earlier post of yours that you have changed the fans on a Crown dci amp. Is this right? If so, which fans did you replace them with?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I use a Crown XLS2500 - has been in use for about 15 years now....

Very happy with the performance and reliability

AwesomeSauce2015

The right answer is going to be: Pick the amp that has the power, features (ie, DSP configuration options, fan control system, etc), and price you need.
Personally, I would stick with Crown or QSC, as they are extremely popular for good reason.

If you are trying to drive an "audiophile" system, you may want to consider other amplifier options as Pro amps usually sacrifice perfect audio quality for more power.

However, for a PA system, I would recommend just getting whatever the manufacturer recommends, or a Crown / QSC amp with the features you need. For example, if I am running a JBL PA system, I will probably end up with Crown amplifiers (JBL and Crown are owned by Harman, hence brand compatibility).

So with that being said, what are these 4-way speakers you are trying to drive? You seem to think that you need multiple kilowatts of power, so I presume that it is a PA application?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The right answer is going to be: Pick the amp that has the power, features (ie, DSP configuration options, fan control system, etc), and price you need.
Personally, I would stick with Crown or QSC, as they are extremely popular for good reason.

If you are trying to drive an "audiophile" system, you may want to consider other amplifier options as Pro amps usually sacrifice perfect audio quality for more power.

However, for a PA system, I would recommend just getting whatever the manufacturer recommends, or a Crown / QSC amp with the features you need. For example, if I am running a JBL PA system, I will probably end up with Crown amplifiers (JBL and Crown are owned by Harman, hence brand compatibility).

So with that being said, what are these 4-way speakers you are trying to drive? You seem to think that you need multiple kilowatts of power, so I presume that it is a PA application?
Yes get the criteria first - with easy to drive speakers you have a wide array of choices, but if your speakers have impedance drops down below 2 ohm - there are a heck of a lot of audiophile amps that simply are not rated /designed for that, and it can cause instability issues (typically with feedback loops) - resulting in less than ideal sound!

Pro amps rated down to 1 ohm are not all that unusual, and will handle such difficult speakers with ease (at less than 1/10 th the price of an audiophile amp with similar current capabilities)

It is when you need to handle those difficult loads that pro amps will sound substantially better than audiophile amps within their price brackets.
Because any amp will sound bad when driven outside of its designed operating envelope...

D

Deleted member 48726

Many pro amps are on par with their shiny residential brothers. If residual noise is an issue you buy a plenty powerful amp and use the attenuators. Easy peasy.

Top Bottom