• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The best headphones for me?!

John

Hey guys,

Sadly my Sennheiser HD 598 is dying(random static noises and pops) they served me really well for about 5 years, I would say 6k hours to 8k hours. Few weeks ago I bought my new pc system and a did some research about the onboard sound and for whatve read the dac/amp are quiet decent ( s1220a and amp to 600ohm - Asus Z370 Prime A) and there is an option to boost the gain on my HD 598 (50 ohm to 108) which sounds quiet nice with the DTS audio profile.

I'm asking you guys what kinda options do I have to feel like a decent upgrade over the 598 (I know the HD 599 is an ok option but I can get it for 135 on Amazon and AKG 712 Pro for about 200 and the Philips Fidelio X2 for 150.
Mainly what I'm looking for a headphones:

-Open Headphones
-Sound Stage (9/10 +, the 598 has a decent sound stage 8/10)
-Build Quality ( 7/10 or better)
-Bass (7/10 or better, I would give to the HD 598 3/10, it lacks bass)
-Mid Range (8/10 or better, the HD 598 quiet good 8.5/10)
-Treble (7/10 +, the HD 598 I would say 6/10)

Resume : Looking for an open headphone for gaming and music ( love the mrsuicidesheep type of music - channel on YouTube) clear footsteps and explosions, the bass needs to be present way more than the HD 598. Overall the 598 were nice but boring , I wanna something with the strengths of the sennheiser but with bass and fun.

260 euros that's all I can invest for now, I have the option to get the HD 599 and a 130 euros combo unit (dac/amp) which I don't know if it's worth, fulla 2 or something similar with better USB isolation, or even the Asus Essence Stx sound card, I would prefer something external tbh.

Thank you so much,

Cheers

Last edited:

Grave

Get a HD 58X or HD 6XX on massdrop if you can. The HD 6XX has more bass.

Last edited:

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
I would agree with @Grave , if you like the Sennheiser sound and want some bass, the natural upgrade from the 598 would be the 58X or the 6XX (aka the HD650). I have owned at one point or another every headphone from the Sennheiser 58/600 series. I would say the 58X or 6XX are great options. I've only had a short listen to the 58X, but it is definitely a warmer, laid-back, bassier headphone, even moreso than the 6XX, with an even more polite treble. Switching from the 58X to the 650, the 650 almost sounded bright (I was shocked). The 58X is more filled in in the subbass, whereas the 6XX is a more mid-bassy headphone. The 58X is also slightly more sensitive than the 6XX and may work better with your onboard audio.

Here is a nice review of the 58X with measurements from DIY Audio Heaven:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/

I would say if you want more bass/subbass, go for the 58X. If you want a midbass focus and a more refined midrange, go for the 6XX.

Grave

I am amazed that the HD 58X is not the same as the HD 580 which is brighter than the HD 650. I may have to try it myself in that case.

OP
J

John

I would agree with @Grave , if you like the Sennheiser sound and want some bass, the natural upgrade from the 598 would be the 58X or the 6XX (aka the HD650). I have owned at one point or another every headphone from the Sennheiser 58/600 series. I would say the 58X or 6XX are great options. I've only had a short listen to the 58X, but it is definitely a warmer, laid-back, bassier headphone, even moreso than the 6XX, with an even more polite treble. Switching from the 58X to the 650, the 650 almost sounded bright (I was shocked). The 58X is more filled in in the subbass, whereas the 6XX is a more mid-bassy headphone. The 58X is also slightly more sensitive than the 6XX and may work better with your onboard audio.

Here is a nice review of the 58X with measurements from DIY Audio Heaven:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/

I would say if you want more bass/subbass, go for the 58X. If you want a midbass focus and a more refined midrange, go for the 6XX.

Thank you for the reply mate,

The 650 is out of my league for now and i cant even power up them since i have the sound onboard (capable) but cant compete with the dedicated amp/dac combos for sure. saying that isnt the DT 880 or the Fidelios X2 a decent option as well!? are they even better than the K712 in terms of bass and soundstage?

cheers

Grave

Thank you for the reply mate,

The 650 is out of my league for now and i cant even power up them since i have the sound onboard (capable) but cant compete with the dedicated amp/dac combos for sure. saying that isnt the DT 880 or the Fidelios X2 a decent option as well!? are they even better than the K712 in terms of bass and soundstage?

cheers

I have not tried the X2 but the DT 880 and AKG K712 have way too much treble.

OP
J

John

I have not tried the X2 but the DT 880 and AKG K712 have way too much treble.

The way to sound harsh!? because sometimes i notice my hd 598 are quiet harsh.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Headphones is a PERSONAL thing and it really doesn't matter what other people think of it or which they regard 'best' (to them).

One can read reviews and recommendations all they long but in the end sound, comfort (and seal which is altered by pads getting older, head shape, glasses, hairs) will differ as well as clamping force, how 'high' or 'low' to the front or to the back the headphone sits around the ears, music type and above all preference and how LOUD it is playing will change how one experiences its sound.
Take the Nighthawk... To certain people (me amongst them) it sounds bloated, bassy and fat and lacking in clarity and resolution. Even when trying to acclimate/brain-in for longer periods. To others it sounds 'realistic' and even 'flat' and find the mids magical and treble fantastic.
Depends on your reference frame and taste it seems. Likewise with bass shy headphones... to some it sounds 'perfect' to others it sounds lifeless and boring or 'bright'.
Pick the one YOU find to sound best (while being comfortable as well)

Moral of the story.. look around on the web for 'reviews'. Take them all with a heavy dose of salt and then try to audition them yourself.

There is NO substitute for listening YOURSELF. Don't forget to 'brain-in' yourself for quite some time.
Sometimes something sounds 'impressive', 'boring' or 'coloured' but after acclimation it does not. Also look into the 'comfort' thing. When comfort isn't great you won't be using it much. Can also be the other way around... sound boring or bassy at first but really great after a while.
Use different types of music/recordings. It should sound well on all genres you like to listen to. On crappy recordings it should sound crappy.
Unless you only have crappy recordings than a 'coloured' one that glossy-fies the sound all over may be the best.
Also make sure the gear you own is able to drive them sufficiently to your preferred listening levels. Some like it really loud others don't.
Due to the nature of our hearing this matters a LOT when it concerns bass.
Your source needs to be able to provide enough voltage (mostly current is not the limiting factor unless you use OTL tube amps).

In the end.. there is no 'best headphone' in an absolute sense. There is a best headphone for everyone within there budget though. It's a matter of trying to find it yourself. Ignore other peoples opinions.

Only YOU have to listen and like your headphone(s).

Last edited:

Merkurio

Based on your standards, I think the HD600 would be a nice upgrade over the HD598.

It has better soundstage than the HD598, good build quality (although plastic made, but tough and well built) and better frecuency response overall compared with what you have without been treble harsh nor bass heavy.

I really liked how my HD600s sounded.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
"Resume : Looking for an open headphone for gaming and music ( love the mrsuicidesheep type of music - channel on YouTube) clear footsteps and explosions, the bass needs to be present way more than the HD 598. Overall the 598 were nice but boring , I wanna something with the strengths of the sennheiser but with bass and fun.
260 euros that's all I can invest for now
."

Well John, check out the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro. Add some toiletpaper to tame the treble peak (see my article about treble peaks) and you have a fun, detailed and open headphone for a low price with nice bass. It is also available in 32 Ohm version which drives well from most sources. The 250 Ohm needs a bit more voltage.
Should be available for around E 150 (E 115.- at Thomann but 250 Ohm) leaving funds for a Behringer UMC202HD (or UMC204HD), alas no longer available from Thomann.
definitely more 'fun' than HD598 and comfortable as well.

For cheap closed: have a look at the Takstar Pro 82

The HD600 and HD58X are less bassy than HD598 but indeed technically superior. More suited for HiFi than 'gaming' or 'fun' IMO.
HD599 is about on par with HD598

Last edited:

JustIntonation

If you can find a used Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro it can fit your budget.
To get the best sound you need to EQ them with for instance the free https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
I prefer the rtings.com DT1990 measurements and target EQ curve thus far. You can use EqualizerApo to EQ your DT1990 to this curve.
The result when done correctly is to my ears better than any headphone I've ever heard. Far far better than HD598 HD600 HD650 etc and even better than the HD800 (with or without EQ correction. I think the Beyerdynamic Tesla driver is fantastic once EQ-ed).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something to keep in mind with Massdrop is that if you are in Europe the sales tax and customs charges mean that you may not save much (if anything). Yes the European SRP of the HD650 is higher than the Massdrop HD6XX but if you compare what you can find the HD650 for there is a lot less difference and you have the benefits of local consumer protection law. I was looking at the HD58X and after adding shipping, 20% VAT and £13 customs charge it ends up pretty much the same as I can buy HD600's for. And you can buy the AKG K712 for quite a bit less than the K7XX. This isn't a criticism of Massdrop as it is just because of our tax and customs charges alongside some pretty aggressive prices for brands like Sennheiser and AKG.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only echo others who have commented that headphones preference is such a personal thing that you really have to try them. If we ignore sound for a moment you wear headphones and comfort is a very personal thing. It doesn't matter how good sound is if you can't stand wearing them. You can swap pads and on many designs do something about clamping pressure but this might not address issues. The nature of headphones amplifies sound signatures I think as the sound is so immediate however you can use EQ to adjust sound.
Most of the major manufacturers such as AKG, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Sony, Sennheiser etc offer good products in terms of quality and value.

A few alternatives to the usually offered Sennheiser recommendations which are worth listening to are the AKG K712, Oppo PM-3 (now discontinued but you can still find them) and Audio Technica MSR7.

That said there are good reasons why the Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 get so many recommendations. Try the Sennheiser outlet store, Sennheiser are currently offering B stock HD600 for £190, HD650 for £220 and HD660s for £280, all with free shipping and 2 year warranty, I am guessing the other European Sennheiser Internet stores will have similar deals.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one that seems to fly below most radars but which has impressed me whenever I've listened to it is the Audio Technica R70X it's probably not the easiest headphone to find in shops and the A-T wing system isn't to everyone's taste but I have a couple of friends who swear by them and I can see why.

parmil987

If you are searching for a wireless headphone then you need to concentrate on a few things for buying a good quality wireless headphone also can visit top rated wireless earbuds to get some idea. Hope this will help you to find the best one.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's been a while since I owned the 598 but from my recollection it had a much wider soundstage than the 58X I use now. The 598 has asked drivers which will interact differently with the rest than the flat 58X drivers, so keep that in mind.

If you have a chance to audition the 600 it should give you an idea of what I mean. Though it's tuned differently than the 58X it's in the same family sound-wise and much more similar to the 58X than the 598.

Headphonaholic

Hifiman Edition S
The Edition S will be a step down from the 598 in overall sound quality. I also don't recall them having much sound stage if any at all. I personally wasn't pleased with the edition s.

Another one that seems to fly below most radars but which has impressed me whenever I've listened to it is the Audio Technica R70X it's probably not the easiest headphone to find in shops and the A-T wing system isn't to everyone's taste but I have a couple of friends who swear by them and I can see why.
The R70X is remarkably similar to the 6XX/650 in overall sound. They do sound different but I do not recall what the differences are. I do recall preferring the 6XX over them.

I feel that the MassdropxHifiman HE4XX is a great value. It wouldn't be like the Sennheiser sound. I have the 59X not the original 598 so I don't know if much has changed between the 2 versions for comparison. The 6XX would be a bit of an upgrade but not a drastic one. I would also recommend the Fostex T60RP but it's a very different sound from Sennheiser's but is fun and satisfying with great sound stage.

Everything Solderdude has said is spot on. I own Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros (closed back not open like what you are asking for) and I would be very quick to recommend them but the treble peak rough. Modding is a must imo. I'll second that the Takstar Pro82's are a great value for under $100 and would meet your criteria well.

If you had a bigger budget I feel like the Audeze LCD2 Classics would be another recommendation.

ishmeister

I can only echo others who have commented that headphones preference is such a personal thing that you really have to try them. If we ignore sound for a moment you wear headphones and comfort is a very personal thing. It doesn't matter how good sound is if you can't stand wearing them. You can swap pads and on many designs do something about clamping pressure but this might not address issues. The nature of headphones amplifies sound signatures I think as the sound is so immediate however you can use EQ to adjust sound.
Most of the major manufacturers such as AKG, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Sony, Sennheiser etc offer good products in terms of quality and value.

A few alternatives to the usually offered Sennheiser recommendations which are worth listening to are the AKG K712, Oppo PM-3 (now discontinued but you can still find them) and Audio Technica MSR7.

That said there are good reasons why the Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 get so many recommendations. Try the Sennheiser outlet store, Sennheiser are currently offering B stock HD600 for £190, HD650 for £220 and HD660s for £280, all with free shipping and 2 year warranty, I am guessing the other European Sennheiser Internet stores will have similar deals.
Thanks for the tip. I just picked up an hd600 for £185 including delivery, warranty and 30 days free return window. It added an extra £5 discount for reasons I don't know. Monster deal.

Top Bottom