• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The best DDC USB to SPDIF with UAC1 profile thats usable for PS5 and other consoles?

bryan0101

Would love to get some recommendations here.

I was using the hdmi to carry the sound from a PS5 to an LG oled TV then toslink out from TV to dac. it was crap. (the rest of the chain is ridiculously highend, denafrips pontus II to vitus int amp)

Then I got ahold of an old original musical fidelity vlink usb to spdif box that can do UAC1 usb profile (I'm using the coaxial output of course) and comparing to hdmi+toslink its way better, even though its a almost 20 yr old product. Imaging and tone are audibly better.

My question is, what are other DDC that can convert usb UAC1 to coaxial spdif out there with reasonable price tag but great output with low jitter (new or used)? I believe I'm looking at 24/96 DDC that does not require driver.

Tried a hiface two, doesn't work. Halide design Bridge might. Berkeley audio USB should but asking for way too much.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's the SMSL PO100 which comes stock in UAC2 mode, but can be set to UAC1 via firmware update (but not back up to UAC2 after that).
To receive the firmware file, you have to contact SMSL:
Screenshot_20220916-181355_Chrome.png

Another option is the Hifime UT23, which comes in UAC1 mode out of the box.

I was using the hdmi to carry the sound from a PS5 to an LG oled TV then toslink out from TV to dac. it was crap.
Could be due to the resampling that LG OLEDs do with HDMI in -> Toslink out. See here.
If that's the case, then using an HDMI audio extractor would fix your issue as well. Here's a review of such an extractor by Amir.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

If that's the case, then using an HDMI audio extractor would fix your issue as well. Here's a review of such an extractor by Amir.
I don't think there is an official 2.1 hdmi audio extractor out yet, the connection from PS5 to the TV right now is full 2.1, so I don't want to mess that up.

But I will check the SMSL one.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an acronym-heavy thread title and discussion.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

OK, I was thinking in the opposite direction. I use this with my Switch.

It maxes at 16/48 but that's the only format the Switch will output anyway.
I think the logic being, UAC1 standard maxes out. That's why.

I was looking at the one you have as well, but I'd like to have one with better clock_crystals(44.1k|48k)/design. This one is providing only basis output, same as hifime one.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

For anyone looking for UAC1 DDC.
SMSL PO100 after unreversibly flashing firmware to UAC1 sounds good, better than hdmi->spdif; but only when using the toslink, not the coaxial, might be not enough juice from just the usb connection.
The original musical fidelity vlink is still better to me.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use the same setup of ps5 > tv>toslink and sounds very fine.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Here's a question: does anybody know of a USB DDC for the PS5...that properly turns off the SPDIF output when the system is off? I have the PO100, but the device keeps putting out a dummy 44.1khz signal and it makes my auto SPDIF switcher very upset.

txbdan

I recently got the Hifime UT23 and it's working well with my PS5. I run it into my RME DAC, no probs.

Top Bottom