• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Best $2k Passive Stand Mount?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kef R3 and Revel M106 come to mind initially, feel free to mention others in this space. Please explain your definition of best and why it applies to your pick.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just no interest, I guess everyone around here wants active monitors.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Define best. Preference score?
R3 looks really good. If max SPL is not your concern no bad choice.

It's up to the responder to define best.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones I would consider:

Tier 1 -
R3 or LS50Meta for small spaces
M105 over the M106 given the spin data
Philharmonic BMR

Tier 2 -
Focal Aria
Buchardt S400

just my 2 cents

I was trying to remember the BMR when I wrote the OP. As for M105 vs M106 it depends on how heavily you weight maximum output vs preference score. I recall our host seemed to like the M106 for it's higher output.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I'm looking for the same thing. Right now it's R3's, although I might spend a little more- but here's my rough list of candidates with ballpark prices. I'm still tracking some prices down. Maybe save you some time. Report back if you find something. Happy hunting.

1611345944276.png

bigguyca

Just no interest, I guess everyone around here wants active monitors.

The Revel M126Be is very nice, and can be had at a significant discount, but doesn't meet your cost limit. The M126Be's replaced active JBL LSR 306's. Subjectively the Revel speakers just sound better on music and spoken words than the JBL units. Salon2's are in my other system and frankly I have a bias in favor of Revel speakers.

Since I use these speakers in my computer setup I listen to them more hours per day than my main audio system. The content is a mixture of classical music and mostly narrated videos on YouTube.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
M105 vs M106: I just noticed the preference score is only a tenth of a point in favor of the M105.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Revel M126Be is very nice, and can be had at a significant discount, but doesn't meet your cost limit. The M126Be's replaced active JBL LSR 306's. Subjectively the Revel speakers just sound better on music and spoken words than the JBL units. Salon2's are in my other system and frankly I have a bias in favor of Revel speakers.

Since I use these speakers in my computer setup I listen to them more hours per day than my main audio system. The content is a mixture of classical music and mostly narrated videos on YouTube.

The discount is probably where they should have priced in the first place. 4k MSRP for a 2-way was pushing it IMO, and Revel lacks many of the fuzzy pride-of-ownership factors competitors like Sonus Faber have (eg. production in Europe/US, status symbol etc.).

BillH

Forum Donor
A few thoughts
while the revel m105 spin may seem better than the m106’s, i recall previously reading on ASR that affiliates of Revel advised that the m106 is the better speaker. it seems unlikely that Revel would be marketing a higher cost speaker that doesn’t out perform a lower cost alternative.

I can’t wait to test drive the MBR

I also own the Sierra 2-EX. i prefer them to my m105’s

i look forward to someday owning some kef r3, my first panels, and LXmini’s to better comprehend the possible merits of lower and higher dispersion designs

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That Dyn is much more special than a M126 though. What I meant is performance aside, the M126 doesn't feel special enough to command 4k

Ah, yeah, I tend to agree.

Sadly, these days, I think it's tough to get stuff that seems special for $4k.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The discount is probably where they should have priced in the first place. 4k MSRP for a 2-way was pushing it IMO, and Revel lacks many of the fuzzy pride-of-ownership factors competitors like Sonus Faber have (eg. production in Europe/US, status symbol etc.).

There's no shortage of 2 way speakers for $4k and up. People buy them because they have more money than space. No doubt fuzzy factors drive high end sales although this is a science oriented forum so we should be smarter than that. The Evoke 20 looks interesting, but has anyone measured it?

Top Bottom