• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Benefits of Juggling... anyone else out there playing with their b...s?

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I started to juggle 10 ten years ago... at the age of 55. I had absolutely no knack for it and felt like my left hand was not coordinated enough to get the hang of it. I discovered that lacrosse balls were great, good weight, bounced when dropped (not in the music room!!!)... etc. Since then, I've juggled pretty much everyday for the last 10 years, between 5-15 minutes a day on average. Now I freestyle juggle in tempo with any track on my playlists. I occasionally wear tie dye when juggling to transport me to those heady days of my first Dead show in the early 70's... lol. It's had a huge impact on my overall balance, which was ok before, but better than it ever has been now. Yes, my balance at 65 is better than as a 17 year old wrestler. Also close range peripheral vision is vastly improved. The only factor that can account for this (I'm a shut in, so eliminating factors is somewhat easier... lol) is juggling. If you're waiting for me to say "A veil was lifted"... I'm not, and I don't want to simply give you a subjective view on the subject. There are a few white papers out there dealing with different aspects of the effects of juggling on the brain. This article is a good summary of the science on the topic. You guys will love the graphs... lol.

The Neuroscience of Juggling: https://tradingatoms.com/2016/03/29/the-neuroscience-of-juggling/

This paper examines the relationship between the practice of juggling and mathematics: https://researchers.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~awmays@unimelb/Mays_Juggling_Thesis.pdf

So... anyone else willing to admit this source of dopamine?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cool!

I could never do more than three, and I haven't juggled in years, but maybe I should make it part of my routine.

Lacrosse balls are excellent for juggling. Both kids grew up playing, so I've got a few dozen around still.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Cool!

I could never do more than three, and I haven't juggled in years, but maybe I should make it part of my routine.

Lacrosse balls are excellent for juggling. Both kids grew up playing, so I've got a few dozen around still.
I assume that you mean 3 balls. Yes, I agree, after that the results were not rewarding for me, so I only do 3, but I learn some "tweak" everyday in that context. I won't ramble on... but the benefits are eye opening. Regarding old lacrosse balls, make sure they still feel "rubbery", not slick and they still bounce. Sitting in a garage for years degrades the material. Absolutely start again... it's a perfect "4th quarter" exercise.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Theoretical physicist and juggler Alexander Leymann explains and demonstrates how jugglers use mathematics to describe, communicate and generate new juggling patterns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Theoretical physicist and juggler Alexander Leymann explains and demonstrates how jugglers use mathematics to describe, communicate and generate new juggling patterns.

Most videos I have to speed up by 1.5+ to get through them, but not that one. I may have to watch that again to catch what was flying by.

Really well done. Very clever.

Rescue911

Juggling is, without a doubt, a very good option in order to invigorate the fading physical and motor functions of an aging organism.
But, there are better exercises. From my personal practice.
Hit the ball against the wall.
To the target. Right and left hand alternately, in various combinations.
Nunchaku work. But you need a coach...
Good luck.

Top Bottom