• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The 'Audiophool' and Streaming

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Something audiophools miss when talking about paranormal influence of the network gear in streaming audio es encryption.

If you are streaming from Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music, etc, data is encrypted.
Totally correct, a single bit change will invalidate the compete stream and all streaming services will be delivering encrypted streams directly into the streaming 'box' which is the first place in the network chain where the encrypted stream will be decrypted. So everything in-between the box (e..g a Wiim Mini Streamer) and the source of the stream (Spotify, tidal etc) is irrelevant as far as audio 'quality' is concerned. Saying anything else is like saying I won't use an online bank as I don't trust the connection between my house and the bank as someone can change the 'bit' of my account number.

What comes out of the streaming box (e.g. optical output) might be affected by jitter but that is why it's great to have @amirm and @VintageFlanker verifying in their reviews the bit-perfect nature of output from streamers, this moves the 'problem' onto the DAC and from the amazing reviews we have here - its easy to pick up a SOTA DAC which removes any doubt about getting back to the original analog signal from the 'master' recording.

KellenVancouver

Yeah. I think we need to stop sharpening the blades of troll defense and instead amp up the patient education that this place is built up on. We don't need a flame war every time someone has a slightly incorrect presumption that is preached on other forums.
Beautifully stated, which is how words of wisdom always are.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yeah. I think we need to stop sharpening the blades of troll defense and instead amp up the patient education that this place is built up on. We don't need a flame war every time someone has a slightly incorrect presumption that is preached on other forums.
This ought to be highlighted on the forum front page in big bold letters.

Palladium

Cheap IEM Syndrome: Something cheap, good and convenient must automatically suck.

Top Bottom