• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The audiophile mindset

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
So I'm arguing, for some bad reason, hardcore subjective audiophiles(phools) on SHF about the topics of bit depth, sampling rates, etc. I'm wondering if these guys are totally anti-physics, anti-reality in all aspects of their lives, or just audio.

As a signal processing engineer, the utter BS that's spouted be these idiots drives me absolutely nuts! I don't even dislike vinyl. It can sound great, but so can 12-bit audio.

The canned BS is "you need better equipment and more experience." I really shouldn't get so bothered, but...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
'm wondering if these guys are totally anti-physics, anti-reality in all aspects of their lives, or just audio.

If you don't know how something works, you go with how you imagine it works.

I suppose reading some "personal experiences" from others is easier to digest or argue or compare to your own sensations than this ...

(I can't "read" it)

OP
M

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
If you don't know how something works, you go with how you imagine it works.

I suppose reading some "personal experiences" from others is easier to digest or argue or compare to your own sensations than this ...

(I can't "read" it)
Yea, I agree with you. But do you act like you're an expert on things you know nothing about? It takes a disfunctional level of arrogance to do that. It's a shame because I'd love to help people understand.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Arrogance is a bi-product of ignorance. In my brain I typed that backwards. What I intended to type was “Ignorance is a bi-product of Arrogance”.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But it's more than that. I'm not irrational with opinions on things I know nothing about. It's almost a sociopath personality.

There's also an emotional element that makes folks arguing more vigorously than they normally would. Many people have many thousands of dollars tied up in the idea of DACs/Amps/Cables contribute heavily to the sound we hear.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But do you act like you're an expert on things you know nothing about?

Don't we all? At least, to some degree, at some time, on some subject?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm arguing, for some bad reason, hardcore subjective audiophiles(phools) on SHF about the topics of bit depth, sampling rates, etc. I'm wondering if these guys are totally anti-physics, anti-reality in all aspects of their lives, or just audio.

As a signal processing engineer, the utter BS that's spouted be these idiots drives me absolutely nuts! I don't even dislike vinyl. It can sound great, but so can 12-bit audio.

The canned BS is "you need better equipment and more experience." I really shouldn't get so bothered, but...

Forget all that signal processing stuff, all you need is better footers... to customize sound (real post, not a joke):

1620786859520.png

Top Bottom