• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Audio Science Review Manifesto???

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea! Anything that lets us improve s/n by avoiding the same discussions (in every review it seems) is a winner.

The FAQ's formatting is a bit inconsistent.

We therefore have a complete definition of the characteristics a device must have to be audibly transparent.
Should clarify that this holds for purely electronic devices. Knowledge of transducers is well developed but incomplete, and such devices interact with their environments.

If you know what equipment is being used in a listening test, your brain will fill in what you expect to hear. <Etc. Also FAQ #2>
Proper DBT makes audibility the sole factor, because subjects don't know which device is operating at any given time. As @amirm & @SIY have pointed out, it can be useful to know what to listen for. For audible differences, this knowledge can speed up the testing. For inaudible differences, how can it improve detection scores? (In a double-blind medical trial, doctors shouldn't know which patients receive placebo or the new wonder drug. But they certainly ought to know which condition they are treating &, therefore, which symptoms to monitor.)

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Proper DBT makes audibility the sole factor, because subjects don't know which device is operating at any given time. As @amirm & @SIY have pointed out, it can be useful to know what to listen for. For audible differences, this knowledge can speed up the testing.
Maybe... As Olive & Toole found out, good measurements are correlated with better listening experiences for all the types of listeners they included in their experiment: Audiophiles, professional musicians, trained listeners, untrained listeners. The only significant difference between the listener groups was that audiophiles consistently gave the equipment lower scores than everybody else. They still gave better measuring equipment higher scores.

Harman used to host a lot of Olive & Toole's work on their website. They took it down years ago. Maybe you can still find it in one of the Internet archives. Now you'll have to dig it out of Olive's blog or AES papers.

Tom

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Olive's blog still contains a lot of this older info.

Hey, I wrote "can," not "will." :)

The only significant difference between the listener groups was that audiophiles consistently gave the equipment lower scores than everybody else.
IIRC, trained listeners gave the lower scores, but that's not the only significant difference. While I feel we're talking about slightly different issues, this Olive post seems more relevant to what I wrote before:
There are several compelling reasons for training listeners. First, trained listeners have been shown to produce more discriminating and reliable judgment of sound quality than untrained listeners [1]. Fewer listener can be used to achieve a similar level of statistical confidence, which can result in savings in time and money. For example, a panel of 15 trained listeners can provide sound quality ratings with reliable statistical confidence in less than 8 hours. To achieve a similar level of confidence using untrained listeners would require about 10 times more listeners, 10 times more days to complete the testing, and cost 10 times more money to pay the listeners and staff conducting the tests.

OP
nintendoeats

nintendoeats

Did this project get dropped? If it became too much, maybe a slimmed down paragraph or something?
Interesting article on Audioholics that would be a good reference link for this type of project:
https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/mind-over-music
Basically, other responsibilities started piling up on my head and I haven't quite built up the mental space to start the thing from scratch. Yes I feel terribly guilty, but it is what it is.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Basically, other responsibilities started piling up on my head and I haven't quite built up the mental space to start the thing from scratch. Yes I feel terribly guilty, but it is what it is.
Thanks for the candor bud. We're all human at the end of the day.

Top Bottom