• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The ASR Prayer

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Critics of ASR seem to accuse Amir and forum contributors of being akin to a cult leader and their followers - his reviews accepted unquestioned like religious dogma.

So to confirm their suspicions, I borrowed a bit (alright… a lot) from Christianity and wrote this prayer.

Amir, who art in Washington,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Klippel come,
Thy will be done, in hifi
As it is in Audio Precision.
Give us this day our daily thread,
And forgive us our audiophoolery,
As we forgive those who subjectively test us.
Lead us not into temptation,
And deliver us from snake oil.
For thine is the SINAD, the power, and the directivity,
For ever and ever.
Amir.

Last edited:

coonmanx

I love it. I have not logged in over at Audio Karma for a few days after they went on an on with attacks against ASR. I think they should probably change their motto from "All audio, no attitude" to "Some audio, all attitude". LOL.

I'm just a guy who enjoys bringing vintage pieces back and occasionally building speakers. I enjoy music but really don't have a dedicated listening space anymore. I have three different systems. I enjoyed the part about "And deliver us from PS Audio"... I read Paul's book and it was interesting but I'm not sure if I buy into everything that he does.

BTW, I have seen plenty of different attitudes and opinions on ASR. But criticizing is just too easy these days. Cheap shots seem to be the norm...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An age old piece of sophistry is to define the absence of a belief system to in fact BE a belief system, and then to compare the "advantages" of the belief system they are advocating with the disadvantages of the (dis)belief system.

Tks

Major Contributor
That low-key current roast of PS Audio due to current events lol.

Anyone wanna guess how long this is going to be the billboard anti-ASR image that will be used to call the place a cult?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That low-key current roast of PS Audio due to current events lol.

Anyone wanna guess how long this is going to be the billboard anti-ASR image that will be used to call the place a cult?
Agreed. While I understand the OP's attempt at humor, this comes off as a little creepy and only adds fuel to those naysayer's fire.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Just change PS Audio to BS Audio so that people at PS Audio would know that the OP is not attacking them in particular. It's just more of a general mockery. ;)
Perhaps that’s only fair. Other overpriced boxes of ineffectuality are also available.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Agreed. While I understand the OP's attempt at humor, this comes off as a little creepy and only adds fuel to those naysayer's fire.
Oof. ‘attempt at humour’… Not just Slayer by name are you?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Critics of ASR seem to accuse Amir and forum contributors of being akin to a cult leader and their followers - his reviews accepted unquestioned like religious dogma.

So to confirm their suspicions, I borrowed a bit (alright… a lot) from Christianity and wrote this prayer.

Amir, who art in Washington,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Klippel come,
Thy will be done, in hifi
As it is in Audio Precision.
Give us this day our daily thread,
And forgive us our audiophoolery,
As we forgive those who subjectively test us.
Lead us not into temptation,
And deliver us from snake oil.
For thine is the SINAD, the power, and the directivity,
For ever and ever.
Amir.
Thanks for the laughs

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is NOT gonna diminish the accusations that this is a cult.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The ASR Prayer
were_not_worthy_waynes_world.gif

JSmith

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Those critics need to read about cognitive bias, which is what Amir and his forum is so wonderful for understanding. And for understanding what the cult of audiophoolery is, so that we can focus more on audio science:
"One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority." ... Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else."
Source: Sagan, Carl. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I haven’t read Sagan’s work, but I’m interested in the title metaphor. It must be discussed in the book, but I’m wondering how helpful it is in showing the value of science to society. A single point light source might illuminate one side of something unknown, but it fails to reveal it in totality and casts long shadows on the other side - perhaps much like judging a metaphorical title without reading the book.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
I haven’t read Sagan’s work, but I’m interested in the title metaphor. It must be discussed in the book, but I’m wondering how helpful it is in showing the value of science to society. A single point light source might illuminate one side of something unknown, but it fails to reveal it in totality and casts long shadows on the other side - perhaps much like judging a metaphorical title without reading the book.
There is a chapter in the book called "The Demon-Haunted World". It is an allusion to the Dark Ages and earlier, where the light of reason was dim and there was widespread belief in the existence of demons. Sagan was very interested in the existence of extraterrestrials, and he links the modern grey aliens found in ufology with what was called demons in earlier ages. The Bible has a word called nephilim, which fits with the description of grey aliens that was popularized by Budd Hopkins in the 1980s with his book Missing Time.

Sagan was naturally interested in theories about extraterrestrials that have already visited our planet, and he has a whole chapter in the book called "Aliens". But he essentially writes that there is insufficient evidence to conclude that extraterrestrials have already visited us. Neil deGrasse Tyson who is also very interested in outer space has concluded the same.

William Cooper was a conspiracy researcher popular among people who are interested in conspiracy theories, and he also popularized the idea that grey aliens have already infiltrated our solar system. But he basically solved this problem by using rationalism too, since he later just decided that the so-called aliens were a careful fabrication of the global elite for ushering in the New World Order conspiracy. He even made up the word ufoology, much like we use the word audiophoolery to describe the way we deal with spiritual darkness also called ignorance.

The book references the adage "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness", where darkness is like an allusion to ignorance and the vastness of outer space we know so little about, or even Ephesians 6:12 that calls demons the powers of darkness. So there is a whole chapter called "The Fine Art of Baloney Detection", which gives a baloney detection kit based on the scientific method for using rationalism to deal with ignorance.

The book has a lot to do with the way this forum often works, so I can only recommend to read it for those who are interested in such topics.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How do you guys pronounce SINAD?
Since it stands for Signal-to-Noise-And-Distortion I pronounce it sin'-add. Among other, more colorful pronunciations when the value of my circuit design is not what it should be...

Top Bottom