• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The "Are these good photos?"-thread

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Any photographers here having any opinions on the below photos.
They are taken by a person named Mats Holst, and are probably copy right protected.
b1.JPG

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 217
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'll take a stab.

Big picture: Like most of it. lighting, composition. The unsharp forground is what my eay keeps drawing towards (book, candle) which are very distracting and wreck the rest of the pic.

The other 2 pics look technically O.K. but don't do much for me, too much deck on the forground. walking 2 meters forward could have made it more interesting for me, cropping doesn't help.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I'll take a stab.

Big picture: Like most of it. lighting, composition. The unsharp forground is what my eay keeps drawing towards (book, candle) which are very distracting and wreck the rest of the pic.

The other 2 pics look technically O.K. but don't do much for me, too much deck on the forground. walking 2 meters forward could have made it more interesting for me, cropping doesn't help.
Cloning out the sensor/lens dust in the upper right corner should have been done on image2

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, there is a general rule that says the foreground object needs to be focused. I have broken that rule many times as it looks good/artistic in the viewfinder but when I look at the picture in larger size, the out of focus foreground becomes very bothersome.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Yeh, there is a general rule that says the foreground object needs to be focused. I have broken that rule many times as it looks good/artistic in the viewfinder but when I look at the picture in larger size, the out of focus foreground becomes very bothersome.
It's a relative new trend in (stock)photography to have an OOF element in the foreground. However i agree in the book candle case it's done to the extreme and distracts from leading line toward the middle and to the extend it overtakes the composition, indeed in this form more of a distraction..

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I find the slightly crooked horizon in each picture irritating given that the photographer's emphasis on proportion/placement. Colour is nice though. Lighting is ok.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If the first shot is for either the retailer/manufacturer of the chairs, the fireplace or the drinks trolley, then it's OK, otherwise the foreground blurring just wrecks it. Colors are nice though, but the coffee table is hopelessly skewed in the frame.

Too much deck in the second one and the third is skewed laterally.

That said, it's so easy to be critical of other people's photos. If they were the best of a whole lot taken, then I'm not impressed. If they were single shots, then they are pretty good.

Top Bottom