• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

The "Are these good photos?"-thread

sprellemannen

Patreon Donor
Any photographers here having any opinions on the below photos.
They are taken by a person named Mats Holst, and are probably copy right protected.
b1.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

solderdude

Major Contributor
I'll take a stab.

Big picture: Like most of it. lighting, composition. The unsharp forground is what my eay keeps drawing towards (book, candle) which are very distracting and wreck the rest of the pic.

The other 2 pics look technically O.K. but don't do much for me, too much deck on the forground. walking 2 meters forward could have made it more interesting for me, cropping doesn't help.

Patrick1958

Patreon Donor
I'll take a stab.

Big picture: Like most of it. lighting, composition. The unsharp forground is what my eay keeps drawing towards (book, candle) which are very distracting and wreck the rest of the pic.

The other 2 pics look technically O.K. but don't do much for me, too much deck on the forground. walking 2 meters forward could have made it more interesting for me, cropping doesn't help.
Cloning out the sensor/lens dust in the upper right corner should have been done on image2

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, there is a general rule that says the foreground object needs to be focused. I have broken that rule many times as it looks good/artistic in the viewfinder but when I look at the picture in larger size, the out of focus foreground becomes very bothersome.

Patrick1958

Patreon Donor
Yeh, there is a general rule that says the foreground object needs to be focused. I have broken that rule many times as it looks good/artistic in the viewfinder but when I look at the picture in larger size, the out of focus foreground becomes very bothersome.
It's a relative new trend in (stock)photography to have an OOF element in the foreground. However i agree in the book candle case it's done to the extreme and distracts from leading line toward the middle and to the extend it overtakes the composition, indeed in this form more of a distraction..

pozz

I find the slightly crooked horizon in each picture irritating given that the photographer's emphasis on proportion/placement. Colour is nice though. Lighting is ok.

restorer-john

Major Contributor
If the first shot is for either the retailer/manufacturer of the chairs, the fireplace or the drinks trolley, then it's OK, otherwise the foreground blurring just wrecks it. Colors are nice though, but the coffee table is hopelessly skewed in the frame.

Too much deck in the second one and the third is skewed laterally.

That said, it's so easy to be critical of other people's photos. If they were the best of a whole lot taken, then I'm not impressed. If they were single shots, then they are pretty good.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's a relative new trend in (stock)photography to have an OOF element in the foreground.
I have seen this a lot in food photography. Not as much elsewhere.

sprellemannen

Patreon Donor
Thanks to all for the comments.
BTW: He uses a Phase One camera.