• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The appropriate remote volume controller

STUDIO51

C76C1862-C391-43A2-87E2-72101AAC72A6.jpeg

I use LYNX HILO. The volume controller with acceleration is fantastic, but there is no remote. The HILO on the rack is far away from me, making it difficult to adjust the volume.

I mainly connect iPad and HILO via USB so I can't control the volume on the iPad. So the only way is to turn the volume knob directly.

I have found some smart ways.

4123FA6A-E0E4-4EF9-8280-50F7B6EF32BC.jpeg

This is the result of the user created using Arduino. It looks nice, but I don't know how to deal with Arduino.

11E451BD-6723-4AE3-8AE5-15FC10AD8D7E.jpeg

It's a smart solution for dumbs like me!

Anyway I want to control the volume via remote. Can you find a finished product similar to the photo I presented? If I can find it, my life will be enriched.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends upon playback software in use. If you use an iPhone good chance there's a remote app to control volume on the iPad.

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
Here is a official app. But as far as I understand, you need a mac or pc connected to the Hilo with the app runnig, to remote control via the Hilo remote iOs app. Maybe this also works with iPad as host and iPhone as remote?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What playback software is in use on the iPad?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@STUDIO51 what is the signal flow in your system.

My guess: digital source -> Dirac Processor -> Lynx Hilo (digital in, stereo analog out) ->dbx PA2, stereo analog in, separate high and low frequency stereo analog out -> power amps ->Speakers

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Depends upon playback software in use. If you use an iPhone good chance there's a remote app to control volume on the iPad.

"I mainly connect iPad and HILO via USB so I can't control the volume on the iPad. So the only way is to turn the volume knob directly. "

Volume control is disabled when iOS device is connected via USB.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Here is a official app. But as far as I understand, you need a mac or pc connected to the Hilo with the app runnig, to remote control via the Hilo remote iOs app. Maybe this also works with iPad as host and iPhone as remote?

HILO remote app on iOS does not work on new iOS versions. In my memory it hasn't worked since iOS12.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

@STUDIO51 what is the signal flow in your system.

My guess: digital source -> Dirac Processor -> Lynx Hilo (digital in, stereo analog out) ->dbx PA2, stereo analog in, separate high and low frequency stereo analog out -> power amps ->Speakers

You're right in an optical input situation. But when I connect through my iPad(USB), the order is a bit different.

iPAD --USB---> Lynx Hilo--Optical-->Dirac live --Coaxial-->Lynx Hilo--XLR--> dbx PA2 --XLR-> Benchmark AHB2---> JBL M2

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
buy this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-9...458046?hash=item4b6229dd7e:g:RvAAAOSwpqhcqdCp

Put it in a box with rubber feet and a knob. Sit it on top of the HiLo and use an o-ring/flat belt to attach to the two volume knobs together. Easy.

(you are using the reduction drive, slip clutch and smooth control of the output shaft via the supplied IR remote- not the pot itself. The Hilo is an encoder, so it's very easy to turn)

Last edited:
Top Bottom