• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The anechoic chamber..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was in an RF anechoic chamber once, at an Underwriters Laboratory facility in Rahleigh.

It may not have been as quiet as a sonically anechoic chamber, but it was very quiet. Similar construction, but intended for a electromagnetic absorption, and maybe not quite as large.

And have been in caves, which may share similar level of quiet, at least when no sounds are being locally generated. It's hard to say, when all you hear is nothing.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Being in an acoustic anechoic chamber is a weird experience. Some people get an upset stomach. Not something that you would want for a listening room, unless you had a multi-channel system (7, 9 or 11) and always played music.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My biggest fear of the chamber is not that it is quiet but the bank vault like doors on a small room. I am claustrophobic and that part of the experience of getting "locked" into a room like this unnerving.

TBone

Major Contributor
And have been in caves, which may share similar level of quiet, at least when no sounds are being locally generated. It's hard to say, when all you hear is nothing.

Night time provides more dynamic range. You hear a tree branch snap during the day, no big deal, but that same snap during the dead of night scares the beejezus out of me, hence we always camp v.close to the water(*) v.near the boat.

(*) plus the local laws dictate campfires are only permitted just on shore/beach area.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My biggest fear of the chamber is not that it is quiet but the bank vault like doors on a small room. I am claustrophobic and that part of the experience of getting "locked" into a room like this unnerving.

The only anechoic chamber I've been in didn't have a latch on the door. It depended on friction between the sides of the wedge-shaped door and the felt-lined frame. And, of course, it opened outwards. The RF shielded room I use occasionally does have substantial latches to snug the door down against the RF seals.

Top Bottom