• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The acoustics of Notre Dame before and after the 2019 fire

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.mdpi.com/2624-599X/2/4/44/htm

Free article on measurements of the acoustics prior to the fire and how they will be used to make sure the acoustics are restored once the cathedral is repaired.

This article by the same authors goes into more detail about the measurements of acoustics of spaces. They use a variety of binaural recordings of sweeps, and burst balloons. And various 3D miking techniques like that in the Calrec Soundfield and using multi-omni trees.

http://www.euronoise2018.eu/docs/papers/352_Euronoise2018.pdf

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is that thing being unimaginatively being rebuilt exactly as it was, including the same level of gloomy darkness? Not that I have any opinions about it...

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So is that thing being unimaginatively being rebuilt exactly as it was, including the same level of gloomy darkness? Not that I have any opinions about it...
I think it is.

I couldn't believe they would rebuild the roofing trusses with wood again, but so far that seems to have been the decision of the French president. If they use lead sheeting that also is a bit much to swallow. I can see adhering closely to its appearance and using something more modern in the structure. I also rather liked some of the proposed updates that rang true to the spirit of the place and added to it. I think they are probably afraid of the whole task becoming a cultural battleground and the Christian aspect being watered down or even lost. In that maybe it is a good decision to say put it back exactly as it was since this nixes any such arguments.

I was there many years ago and it was indeed gloomy darkness for the most part. More than some flying buttress cathedrals. I saw some filming inside of it around a year before it burned. They had installed LED lighting and it was apparent even in the video it was not nearly the gloomy place I remembered.

I think many of those structures from then were not the gloomy buildings we've come to know. For instance Notre Dame at one time had rather garish colors painted onto the outer facade especially on the sculptures there. And if you have seen the restoration of the Sistine chapel before and after the result is far, far more colorful. Many of these structures were much more lively colored in the past. Paint has either worn away and not been replaced or has been covered over with centuries of soot to mute the colors still there.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think many of those structures from then were not the gloomy buildings we've come to know...restoration of the Sistine chapel
Excellent point! The Sistine chapel was one of the most mind-blanking things I've seen, I felt SO privileged to be able to see that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I couldn't believe they would rebuild the roofing trusses with wood again, but so far that seems to have been the decision of the French president. If they use lead sheeting that also is a bit much to swallow.

Rebuilding it exactly the same is no problem. But's let's hope they implement some seriously sophisticated fire control systems this time around.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think they should demolish the remains and in their place erect a truly enormous statue of Margaret Thatcher. Our Lady.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rebuilding it exactly the same is no problem. But's let's hope they implement some seriously sophisticated fire control systems this time around.
Some fire control was part of the old structure. And I'm sure they'll update that part of it. But it would be so easy to replace the wooden truss work with metal and no one would be the wiser except from inside the roofing structure. I'm sure that would also be quicker and less expensive.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they should demolish the remains and in their place erect a truly enormous statue of Margaret Thatcher. Our Lady.
Oh come now, I must say even jokingly not cool.
1614414582910.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom