• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The $700 Amp/Speakers Challenge

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I just recommended that same pair to a buddy... he ended up getting a soundbar because he thought towers were too big. Oh well.

Back to the $700 challenge... refurbs. If you like JBL, sign up for the mailing list. Things go on sale all the time. Refurbs have free returns and warranties.

Haha, I've stopped recommending stuff to friends. They just never listen. I've got a friend who is actually a really big music lover. He's into a wide array of styles and genres...really knows his stuff. punk, folk, jazz, alternative, indie...you name it. But, he's just not got the audiophile thing in him. When he wants gear, he'll just visit the nearest Best Buy and pick stuff. If he was looking for headphones and I told him something like the Takstar Pro82 is great value for the dollar he'd still end up with a $200 set of Beats a week later.

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
So, there was a set of Pioneer SP-FS52 towers on Amazon for a nice price - $299.95cdn new. I bit. Then I grabbed a Yamaha R-S202bl for $199.95cdn as well - decided bluetooth would be a nice option for streaming from my laptop. Modest set up, but it'll do well in the room I have and being in an apartment I just can't really pump up the volume much at all. I actually have a nice room for audio though. I have space for the speakers to breathe...it should sound very good.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get a pair of Elac Uni-Fi B5 3-way coax bookshelf speakers ($350):
https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Uni-fi-Bookshelf-Speaker-Black/dp/B01CRYWVG2/

With some nice looking stands ($55):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076HX81WZ/

And a do-it-all small SMSL AD18 amplifier for lack of a better option with this budget ($145):
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/

Subtotal: $550.
And spend the rest with cables (Blue Jeans Cables), acoustic panels (Vicoustic) and quality beer. :)

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
USA only yes. I'm always leery of refurb stuff as well.
Although refurbs can always be a mixed bag... it's a little different at AC4L. They don't do 3rd party - they're all factory refurbished and carry warranties in most cases. I purchased a few things from them in the past and they were always like-new. Got one of my AV8801A's from them on closeout, so that was actually 'new' - but the Denon 4520CI was a refurb and it's still running perfectly after 4 years.

Sounds like you're all set though, and that should be more than adequate for enjoying good music at lower levels in an apartment. I'd still recommend you hit a music store some time if you get a chance and listen to some of the active studio monitors... it might be an eye-opener for something down the road. Especially the relatively inexpensive models from Yamaha, JBL, and Adam Audio as mentioned before.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so the volume control is on the back of each speaker? Back in the 80s, i owned a set of Acoustic Research powered partners. They sounded good, but adjusting the volume was a real pain.

Set the volume of your active speakers to max and use the digital volume control on your PC Media Player. Some apps allow you to use your phone or tablet to change the volume
e.g Roon, Spotify, Tidal , etc ...
I understand the appeal or nostalgia of the mini-shrine but ...

@Blumlein 88
Link for the stands you suggested? Please.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88
Link for the stands you suggested? Please.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033371-REG/pyle_pro_pstnd35_heavy_duty_telescoping.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...pro_pstnd32_studio_monitor_speaker_stand.html

I've some of those in the first link. They are well made. Adjust with a pin through the column so no worries about them slipping. Seem sturdy. Have little holders for cable running to the speaker on top to make it a little neater. Some complain they are welded unevenly and wobble or you have to shim the bottoms. I may have been lucky, but both of mine are level and true.

The tripod type in the 2nd link look to be made the same with the tripod legs. I didn't see those or I probably would have gotten them. Three legs inherently can't wobbe. They also could be set further out for additional stability if you have the room. Or adjusted smaller if you don't.

I've seen more solid stands which also cost more. You also could add weight around the bottom if you wanted more stability and if you use them set up on the higher side of things. But they are basic good adjustable stands just nothing fancy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t realize you actually have those stands! I would not have made fun of them so off-handedly if I knew. It looks like you took it pretty hard, changed your pic and everything. I didn’t mean anything personal by it. I was just taking the shortest route to a cheap shot I could think of in the moment. Actually they do look kind of okay. Maybe even kind of cool. I thought your post was a very clever and funny retort and we were kind of jousting. Little did I know you were speaking from the heart! :confused:

Like I said, I have some powered speakers (Sonos) (go ahead, laugh at me, I deserve it) in another room. But they come with capability to play music over streaming services, over WiFi, and by voice command or by an app and they have room correction technology built in as well, and I can change the volume with my voice or by an app, so they are kind of a source and a speaker and room correction all in one. Even with those the sound per pound and per penny (ha ha see what I did there?) is amazing. But a pair will run over $700. I’m sure that’s not the best sounding powered speaker per dollar but that’s not what I was looking for when I got them. And heaven help me when the first thing inside them breaks. At least they have a line in.

And even so I would still have to say I’d rather be running the $260/pair Pioneer SP-FS52 passive towers than powered speakers in my main system (and I have a choice and that is exactly what I do), full stop.

I don’t doubt the sonic design advantages per penny and per pound of powered speakers as opposed to passive plus amp. But I do think the design choice of floor standing towers still yields some pretty strong advantages in terms of form factor from a looks and audio perspective. It’s not as flashy or efficient technologically of course, and maybe they don’t measure as well perfectly placed in an anechoic chamber, but it has its advantages.

Seriously, with tower speakers it is nothing just to rotate them or slide them or nudge them or whatever on a whim depending on who is in the room, where they are sitting, what gets you the best sound for what you are trying to do, etc., and they don’t distract peoples’ attention from what we are doing when they are playing or look conspicuous or out of place in a nice environment. It’s a very simplistic thing but I still think it can be pretty huge in the big picture, even sonically. :cool:
It is fine, and I wasn't offended. I was partly joshing. I only changed the pic because I found a better one.

My surround system has floor standers front right and left. They are more ergonomic and being larger more efficient. Center is on a wooden stand I made to fit between a rack. Surrounds are on those I pictured earlier.

My insistence on active is right in the price range you are looking is where there are a few very good choices giving a much larger bang for buck vs passive than in any other price range I know about. There is then a little higher in price not much to choose from on up until you get into quite expensive speakers.

Again, no sweat you haven't offended me. My real speakers are big Soundlab Electrostats.
Here is one without the cloth cover on it. 72 inches tall, 30 inches wide. You have to "dance" these about the room.
1562896258936.png

LaLaLard

Chi-fi would definitely dominate the amp part... for speakers not so clear...
If you go for speakers with higher sensitivity you might be able to use a smaller power amp... However small amp with good clean supply is not easier to find compared to something with more power but not that clean...
So if it's me I'll still go for sub-90db bookshelves such as this one:
JAMO/尊宝 C603 HIFI书架音箱发烧无源音箱监听音响高保真6寸低音
Good Danish sound, a bit of coloring but sound really good.
For amps look at this one:
参考德国柏林933功放电路功放整机 经典名器
This is a famous Chinese DIYer who has sold thousands unit of amps, dacs .etc.
This is one of his amp, outputting 120Wx2 into 8ohms.
I don't think you can do much better here than Chinese DIYer :)
Combined together still less than $700.

digicidal

Major Contributor
$550cdn...It's cheap and probably doesn't "measure up" but damnit it sounds great! :D

That's (at least) 100% better than spending $15K on a system that "still isn't good enough" in my book! Congratulations.

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
They are some very nice speakers. No doubt about it. I like the receiver a lot too. Being in an apartment, I can't really pump up the volume much though. I haven't had a full size system since the mid-nineties. Kinda nice to be back in the game, lol...

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
To revive this thread, I had some questions because this is the first place I have seen the advice to go with active speakers under a certain budget.

My current setup is as follows: SMSL M500 --> Liquid Spark ---> Amiron Home / KEF Eggs (plus a slim monoprice 8" sub). For now this is setup in a small home office for low volume nearfield / headphone listening.

In part because the KEF Eggs reprocess the analogue signal leaving my M500 DAC with its own mediocre internal DAC, and in part because I am just anxious to upgrade, I was thinking of getting the KEF Q150s at the annual sale and pairing them with an Onkyo A-9110.

I am mainly playing high res / MQA files from tidal and really like the idea of my speakers actually getting the full unadulterated signal from the DAC since that is my most expensive component right now.

Outside of the rear port issue on the KEF Q150s, do you think I will see a significant upgrade in the new setup (which will cost about $650)?

I can re-use the Eggs in another room.

digicidal

Major Contributor
To revive this thread, I had some questions because this is the first place I have seen the advice to go with active speakers under a certain budget.

My current setup is as follows: SMSL M500 --> Liquid Spark ---> Amiron Home / KEF Eggs (plus a slim monoprice 8" sub). For now this is setup in a small home office for low volume nearfield / headphone listening.

In part because the KEF Eggs reprocess the analogue signal leaving my M500 DAC with its own mediocre internal DAC, and in part because I am just anxious to upgrade, I was thinking of getting the KEF Q150s at the annual sale and pairing them with an Onkyo A-9110.

I am mainly playing high res / MQA files from tidal and really like the idea of my speakers actually getting the full unadulterated signal from the DAC since that is my most expensive component right now.

Outside of the rear port issue on the KEF Q150s, do you think I will see a significant upgrade in the new setup (which will cost about $650)?

I can re-use the Eggs in another room.

I wouldn't call it a "significant" upgrade probably (haven't seen measurements for the Eggs so can't be sure) but you'd likely see some decent improvements in the lower-end extension. I can't imagine the Eggs have much below about 120Hz, maybe not even that low. I'm also not sure how real that 50W integrated is (is it 50W into 8R or 4R?) so hard to determine if you'd have much more dynamic range either... but sure, it would have a more consistent sound because the sub wouldn't be as necessary... or could provide reasonable reinforcement below 80Hz.

Are you looking for the other features of the Onkyo? If not you'd probably be better off with a simple power amp - grab an inexpensive Crown XLS or similar and you'll have much more power. Either that or save money and get something like the Adam T5V's or JBL 305's which will have a similar range and physical size, and won't require any additional components (nor resample the signal).

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not to mention arguably the closest to full range you're likely to get at the price considering the "2.0 only" aspect. Though I chose the 305's because I felt the midrange was better than on the 308's - and was willing to sacrifice a little bass to have it.

For $700 you can get the 305 with matching 310 sub AND room correction with PW-Link. Best of times.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I wouldn't call it a "significant" upgrade probably (haven't seen measurements for the Eggs so can't be sure) but you'd likely see some decent improvements in the lower-end extension. I can't imagine the Eggs have much below about 120Hz, maybe not even that low. I'm also not sure how real that 50W integrated is (is it 50W into 8R or 4R?) so hard to determine if you'd have much more dynamic range either... but sure, it would have a more consistent sound because the sub wouldn't be as necessary... or could provide reasonable reinforcement below 80Hz.

Are you looking for the other features of the Onkyo? If not you'd probably be better off with a simple power amp - grab an inexpensive Crown XLS or similar and you'll have much more power. Either that or save money and get something like the Adam T5V's or JBL 305's which will have a similar range and physical size, and won't require any additional components (nor resample the signal).

I like the Onkyo because of the focus on clean power / low volume listening, plus the sub-out. I like the idea that it doesn't have digital inputs or Bluetooth and the money I spend is focused on the actual amplification. The M500 has all the digital inputs I need, so I feel like I am future proofed there.

As for other amps, I was deciding between the Onkyo and the Crown XLS 10002 actually. A few things swung me away from the Crown. First, no sub out, and second the power seemed totally overkill for the type of listening I do. I want something really transparent with finesse, but don't need to go loud. I did like the balanced XLR inputs though since I have the XLR output on the M500.

The Emotiva BasX A-100 was another I looked at, but again, it didn't have a sub-out. It was closer to what I was looking for than the crown though. Same with the Cambridge Audio AXA35 or Cambridge Audio AXA25 actually.

As for the active studio monitors that won't resample, that is a really interesting idea. Do monitors sound less musical than consumer oriented speakers though?

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Emotiva BasX A-100 was another I looked at, but again, it didn't have a sub-out.
The A-100 has line level outputs which you can use to feed signal to a subwoofer, as long as you're going to control the volume with your M500.

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't want to be snobbish, and I firnly believe that budget audio in particular has improved enormously, but also believe that there is some kind of minimum level below which you quite rapidly get a lot less quality for not that much less money. Here I think the $700 limit is just a bit below that sweet spot. My suggestion would be a pair of Elac DBR62s and a Yamaha AS501. Here in Europe that would set you back 860 euro, or $1050, including value added tax. I have to admit, however, that I have just installed in our garden room a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220s that I bought in a sale for 125 euro for the pair (just over $150) to be used with an old Kenwood KR3600 receiver (with nice blue lights).

Last edited:

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
The A-100 has line level outputs which you can use to feed signal to a subwoofer, as long as you're going to control the volume with your M500.

Hmm. Any downside to controlling volume with the M500? Otherwise, I would be fine with that.

Top Bottom