• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thank you ASR

jmos

Forum Donor
I just wanted to take a minute to give a warm thank you to ASR and all the people that contribute to this site.

I was having a hard time figuring out what dac and hp amp to buy and what would work for me without breaking the bank. With the great information here, I was able to get past all the snake oil that some try to sell you on. I just got my new stack and RPI4 all set up. And managed to save a few bucks in the process from what I thought I was going to have to spend to get this kind of performance with the feature set I was looking for. I do not think I could be happier with the results, And it was this site that got me there.

I will become a donor to show my appreciation. And maybe even contribute some of my subjective opinions on the stuff I have tried and or currently own.

Thanks again!

Chazz6

In my case, Amir's positive review of the Focal Aria 906 speaker was a major push toward it. I got a pair on a local craigslist at a great price and have been happy with them.

dimedrol

I didn't find any official appreciation threads for what ASR has been doing for us, so I'll just leave it here.

I've been a modest audiophile for 20 years which is nothing compared to some of the members of the community, but on the global scale - it is a long time. I have tried lots of lo- to mid- range hifi audio equipment at my home and elsewhere and I have of course spent ages digging through audio forums, reviews and product specifications - just like most of us here. I don't have a scientific knowledge base that Amir and some other experts here have, so my conclusions and observations are purely based on my personal experience and impressions which are subjective at best but they couldn't possibly be any more in line with the audiosciencereview team.

1. Among the manipulations with my audio hardware over the years the only audible changes that mattered were when I changed speakers, headphones or the room.
2. Never in the 20 years did replacing an amplifier, a CD player, a DAC, a sound card, a cable of any kind yield any change worth mentioning. Needless to say that such a change has never made me start liking the sound of a system I hadn't liked before.
3. The last time I could discern any difference between DAC's was when I swapped Audigy2 ZS for EMU0404 USB - I think the latter was audibly slightly less noisy. Ever since that no digital source has brought ANY audible difference. I replaced a "semi-vitage" audiolab mdac with the latest and greatest topping d90se just yesterday and despite my best effort to hear any improvements in the sound I wasn't able to - that is not to say that d90se is not technically superior to the mdac, it absolutely is from what I can tell. It is me who is not up to spec.

So now after the 20 years I no longer bother to argue with golden year audiophiles that keep on describing extremely linear devices of today as "having a unique sound signature" despite by their own words being exemplary linear. Because prior to Amir in those battles I missed a credible expert to defer to and now I came to realize that it matters not what they think or say. But nevertheless, I am very thankful for this place and every now and then I treat myself to Amir's reviews. I think 20 years back a place like this would have saved me a ton of time and money. Thank you guys.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I didn't find any official appreciation threads for what ASR has been doing for us, so I'll just leave it here.

I've been a modest audiophile for 20 years which is nothing compared to some of the members of the community, but on the global scale - it is a long time. I have tried lots of lo- to mid- range hifi audio equipment at my home and elsewhere and I have of course spent ages digging through audio forums, reviews and product specifications - just like most of us here. I don't have a scientific knowledge base that Amir and some other experts here have, so my conclusions and observations are purely based on my personal experience and impressions which are subjective at best but they couldn't possibly be any more in line with the audiosciencereview team.

1. Among the manipulations with my audio hardware over the years the only audible changes that mattered were when I changed speakers, headphones or the room.
2. Never in the 20 years did replacing an amplifier, a CD player, a DAC, a sound card, a cable of any kind yield any change worth mentioning. Needless to say that such a change has never made me start liking the sound of a system I hadn't liked before.
3. The last time I could discern any difference between DAC's was when I swapped Audigy2 ZS for EMU0404 USB - I think the latter was audibly slightly less noisy. Ever since that no digital source has brought ANY audible difference. I replaced a "semi-vitage" audiolab mdac with the latest and greatest topping d90se just yesterday and despite my best effort to hear any improvements in the sound I wasn't able to - that is not to say that d90se is not technically superior to the mdac, it absolutely is from what I can tell. It is me who is not up to spec.

So now after the 20 years I no longer bother to argue with golden year audiophiles that keep on describing extremely linear devices of today as "having a unique sound signature" despite by their own words being exemplary linear. Because prior to Amir in those battles I missed a credible expert to defer to and now I came to realize that it matters not what they think or say. But nevertheless, I am very thankful for this place and every now and then I treat myself to Amir's reviews. I think 20 years back a place like this would have saved me a ton of time and money. Thank you guys.
Welcome Aboard @dimedrol. Welcome to the land of Science and Truth in Audio. Much of what you say resonates with our Members and is a driving force for why many are here. Sometimes the truth can come across as brutal and even rude. It’s not intentional and not personal. Smashing years of marketing brain washing can be unsettling, and yet enlightening if you remain open minded and seek the scientific knowledge and truth to make your own informed decisions. Versus being let to the cash register with the intention of getting you to buy all sorts of pseudo science gimmicks and tricks that do absolutely nothing but drain your wealth.

We rely on Member donations to keep the wheels greased. We have no commercial entanglements and you will see Absolutely Zero advertising here. We have no financial Overlords to please except our Membership itself. Please consider making a small donation to become a “ASR Donor”. See the linked Thread to peruse options or not. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Reflecting on this past year I feel like a fog has lifted after decades of subjective nonsense clouding reality. I'm grateful yet feel a bit embarrassed to be honest. Amir, ASR, and others (Achimago comes to mind) are having a real impact on the hobby at large. Thank you for lifting the veil.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
We have no financial Overlords to please except our Membership itself.
[sarcasm]
wait what? how? impossible, it's such a good idea...

i want that as a title over the "forum donor" banner, right now!
rofl-emoji.gif

[\sarcasm]

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom