• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thank you and also first question

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But that is not because of the AC voltage. They ham due to DC offset. Obviously your regenerator will also get rid of that. I’m pretty sure your equipment won’t hum you set it to 240V
Maybe, but the equipment isn't adjustable.
The items I have that were bought in France, China or a US item with its high voltage input (which is just double the domestic US voltage so also 220V) are a motorised screen for my projector, my Goldmund Reference turntable and a CD player. The 220V valve amp from China doesn't hum but I use the 220V supply for it to prevent the filament heaters running too high.
The Goldmund preamp and DAC didn't hum like the TT but the power amps were never completely silent electrically.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And no you can't really complain at the state owned power company. That's like fighting the wind mills or like that scene from South Park with the cable cancellation.

It's pretty simple here. And yes, you ring the state owned generator, speak to a real person and explain the issue of higher (or in my case, lower) voltage.

I measured and logged over a period of time, on bright sunny days, dull days, heavy load periods, peak periods etc and determined that due to a recent voltage adjustment, our street voltage was outside the tolerances allowed, and too low.

Within a week, they have set up logging equipment and within three weeks they placed two more loggers (one on the street pole and one on my switch panel) as we had discussed possible losses in my house drop and I wanted them to rule that out. About two weeks later, they returned, informed me the street voltage was too low and simply returned the tap on the street transformer (they have plenty of taps for trimming voltage) to where it was prior to the wholesale, area-wide drop of nom 240V to 230V.

Obviously, you need to take into account solar feed in issues in Australia, where the nominal grid voltage can be artificially lifted by the inverters all needing to be higher in voltage to feed in current. But even as I type this, in the evening with no elevated voltages, no solar and around peak dinner cooking time, I am sitting at exactly 240V, which is where I like it. 230V may be the new nominal, but we are on a spur-like feed with perhaps 26 homes and the upper section (about 500M) is run from a single transformer. So I can see some pretty significant swings.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe they have been slowly ramping up the voltage over many years, ever more creeping towards the 240VAC.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In Europe they have been slowly ramping up the voltage over many years, ever more creeping towards the 240VAC.

Look at it this way. Traditional amplifiers will give you quite a bit more extra power on a higher nominal voltage. But incandescent bulbs (not used much anymore) used for illumination burn out much faster. Vintage receivers will burn out their dial lamps at a rate of knots, unless replaced with appropriate LEDs.

Mostly, for all my vintage gear, unless it is of EU spec, I want 240V. Consider a big 200+200W power amplifier on 220V vs 240V. You might think that's only 20V on the primary, and 8.3% difference. But for actual delivered power on the secondary side, you've also dropped 8.3% and power is voltage squared over impedance. So for 200W@8R amplifier, you've lost 32 Watts. It's only a 168WPC amplifier now.

Katji

Major Contributor
It's pretty simple here. And yes, you ring the state owned generator, speak to a real person and explain the issue of higher (or in my case, lower) voltage.
[...]
Within a week, they have set up logging equipment and within three weeks they placed two more loggers
hahhahahah No wonder half the South Africans have moved to Australia.

Just putting it out there- it's surely unlikely in the extreme that the OP lives in a third world country with all that gear...
Like they said...there are many "third world" countries with "first world" areas...shack townships within a km or two. ...That list of gear is nothing, and expensive alternative systems are some of the very few "growth industries", and the sellers of Furutech and Furman are doing very well.

Top Bottom