• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TFZ T2 In-Ear Monitor - Stock vs. Yinyoo Cable

Earfonia

Recently I bought Yinyoo IEM cable for TFZ T2 during AE 11-11 sale. I bought it simply for the look as it looks nice and matching the TFZ T2 blue color.

20191127_150232a.jpg

When I compared it with the stock cable, I didn't expect to hear any differences, but I think I did hear a slight differences between the 2 cables. The Yinyoo cable sounds a tad warmer with slightly thicker tonal density around the mids and bass. Just a tad, nothing significant. Out of curiosity I measured them to see if I can see any differences from the measurement.

20191127_104453a.jpg

I use China generic IEC60318-4 coupler (with mic integrated), and RME Babyface Pro for the audio interface. Rode VXLR+ converts the 48V phantom power to 5V plugin power for the condenser mic inside the IEC60318-4 coupler. For software I use REW latest beta version. I have done quite a lot of measurement with this setup, with small Silicone ear tips and proper insertion I could get less than 0.1 dB level matching between insertions. That means for the same driver, the level at reference point (in this case I use 1kHz instead of 500Hz) is pretty consistent between insertions and measurements. I usually do around 3 times measurement and re-insertion for the same driver to check consistency. So for example when I see the 1kHz level like 0.2 dB different between left and right channels, it is the difference in left and right channel matching and less of the insertion error.

I measured the Yinyoo cable (silver-blue) and the stock cable (black), the FR looks very2 close between the cables, so we can say FR is practically the same between the cables.

TFZ T2 Left Channel Yinyoo (light blue) and Stock cables (dark blue and light purple) - 2 measurement each cable:
TFZ T2 - Left Channel - Yinyoo & stock cable.png

TFZ T2 Left Channel Yinyoo (Yellow and Orange) and Stock cables (Red) - 2 measurement each cable:
TFZ T2 - Right Channel - Yinyoo & stock cable.png

TFZ T2 Left Channel with stock cable - Left and Right channel matching - 2 measurement each channel:
TFZ T2 - Left (Blue) - Right (Red) - stock cable.png

So FR wise no different between stock and Yinyoo cable.

But I notice the following differences in 1kHz level when I matched it to 95 dB SPL:

TFZ T2 Stock Cable Left: -18.90 dBFS
TFZ T2 Stock Cable Right: -19.50 dBFS

TFZ T2 Yinyoo Cable Left: -19.20 dBFS
TFZ T2 Yinyoo Cable Right: -19.80 dBFS

Those are the level setting of the generator in the REW. As we can see that with Yinyoo cable I have to set around 0.3 dB lower to match level of the stock cable. That means the Yinyoo cable is simply 0.3 dB louder than the stock cable, which translates to lower resistance on the Yinyoo cable. I haven't measured the resistance of the cables, but this is good enough for me to see that both cables do have measurable differences.

Asylum Seeker

... I haven't measured the resistance of the cables, but this is good enough for me to see that both cables do have measurable differences.

Why not? That may just be your smoking gun right there...

Nice cable, btw.

doctorjuggles

Well, it’s likely a thicker gauge, which means it preserves wattage/voltage better, so no surprise.

For those with speaker setups, especially surround sound, here’s a handy chart:
Blog-Image-Speaker-Cable-Distance-Chart_1.jpg

Cool!
Given the vast array of differing resistances in headphones and IEMs, along with how short most cable runs are, is it fair to assume that a table like this would be nigh on impossible to create and the differences too small to be worth bothering with?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool!
Given the vast array of differing resistances in headphones and IEMs, along with how short most cable runs are, is it fair to assume that a table like this would be nigh on impossible to create and the differences too small to be worth bothering with?
It doesn’t matter for headphones, unless talking like super long runs for studio use.

OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

Why not? That may just be your smoking gun right there...

Nice cable, btw.

Practical reason, I don't have ohm meter that is good enough for milliohm measurement. My Brymen BM829s only goes down to 0.1 ohm resolution, definitely not good enough to measure cable resistance.

Asylum Seeker

I get that, but I reckon that if the cable is affecting the SQ, then the difference is not in the milli range, but larger.

OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

I get that, but I reckon that if the cable is affecting the SQ, then the difference is not in the milli range, but larger.

Here you go, I measured the cable impedance of both stock cable and the Blue-White Yinyoo cable.
I use my IEM impedance measurement setup as per REW diagram here:
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/impedancemeasurement.html

20200411_130319s.jpg

Rsense: 75 ohms
Rlead: 0.1 ohms

As baseline, I use 16 ohm resistor as load to simulate IEM and plugged it to a 3 inches DIY cable to simulate ideal / low impedance headphone cable:
20200411_130457s.jpg

The difference in impedance between the baseline and the real IEM cable is the measured impedance of the cable.

Stock cable:
20200411_130335s.jpg

Yinyoo cable:
20200411_130644s.jpg

Measurement result from 20Hz to 40kHz:
2020-04-11 TFZ T2 Cable Impedance 20Hz-40kHz.png

Close Up at 1kHz:
2020-04-11 TFZ T2 Cable Impedance.png

Impedance Measurement Results:

Baseline: 16.04 ohms

TFZ Galaxy T2 Stock Cable:
Stock Cable L: 16.80 - 16.04 = 0.76 ohms