• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing the Sony NW-A306?

OP
W

Wheel_Audio

I think I am going to get this:

People say it's good. This may be loaded and I may get many answers but do you suggest some "Studio monitors" I'm pretty new to the game, but would like to get my feet wet....I would be using this with a pixel 6 pro. Go easy on me if I missing something...I'm learning....These are the only Monitor Headphones I've looked at so far:

I would like to experience some of the elevated audio experiences others are enjoying.

It's entirely possible that the Qudelix is good.

Still, you'll want to proceed with caution: there’s an incredible degree of hyperbole, misunderstanding, and downright deception, both in regular, consumer-oriented audio and the so-called “high-end”. (Yes, there is a high end, but authentically high-quality offerings have become obscured amid thoughtless marketing and empty gimmicks.) Truly elevated experiences exist, but they can be hard to find.

Man I was in the boat for the A306. What a disaster.

Er, patience is a virtue? Perhaps the situation will improve in time.

microchipmatt

Well after some research I'm going to get the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones and the Qudelix-5K. Apparently that's a really good combination. I'm going for it. @Wheel_Audio I saw your post after I posted. I will take this into consideration.

Update: I went for it. This is my first Outing, and after much reading, I think this will be a good combination for my first real higher end audio outing. I am sure I will be happy. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wheel_Audio

I'm pleased to report that Sony has just released a firmware update for the A306 that appears to fix the frequency response malfunction (a.k.a. the "low bass issue"). The result has been confirmed objectively, using REW to measure the output.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well after some research I'm going to get the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones and the Qudelix-5K. Apparently that's a really good combination. I'm going for it. @Wheel_Audio I saw your post after I posted. I will take this into consideration.

Update: I went for it. This is my first Outing, and after much reading, I think this will be a good combination for my first real higher end audio outing. I am sure I will be happy. Thanks for the info.

I run a pair of HD 660 S off my Q5K and it's great. I use a 2.5mm balanced cable from OKCSC... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BF4ZCYK9

I am glad they came out with a firmware update and I am sure more will be forth coming as with any new product. I am curious how music sounds with the Walkman compared to an Android phone/Iphone when playing music on streaming services.

OP
W

Wheel_Audio

Unfortunately, the NW-A306 has still got at least one other major defect: wifi-related interference. With wifi enabled, many users are reporting audible noise occurring on the left channels of some IEMs and headphones.

[Sigh . . .]

aagstn

Glad they fixed the bass issue, but unfortunately this still can't drive decent headphones and only seems suited for IEMs. I would seriously recommend a used LG phone with a quad dac over this. Probably be a fraction of the cost for much better sound.

vsherry

I have this unit with none of the problems. In fact, I now own two. I wonder if ordering mine later made the difference. They definitely get loud. I can't listen on max.

OP
W

Wheel_Audio

I have this unit with none of the problems. In fact, I now own two. I wonder if ordering mine later made the difference. They definitely get loud. I can't listen on max.

Undoubtedly, yes, it's always wise to wait. Where did you get them--are they from Japan?

Impulsion

I purchased my A306 in December 2023 US version from Amazon. sounds great! Only annoying issue with it is the Check volume warning that pops up after a while. I have no volume cap via bluetooth. i typically listen about 2/3 volume and the warning will populate once or twice throughout the course of a 8 hour listening session. When this happens, volume drops to 0 in 2 steps and you're forced to interact with the player (hitting ok on screen) before you can resume playing volume. I suppose this is still a vast improvement over the initial lack of bass and volume cap's etc. Overall i am satisfied with it. There are other better ways to handle volume warnings though. Interrupting a listening session while you're in the groove and in the moment kinda kills the experience in my opinion.

Top Bottom