• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing Open Power Cord interference in Interconnect Cables (video)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Someone please turn this into a gif!
Challenge accepted... :D

6l8gko.gif

:cool:

JSmith

Andysu

Major Contributor
another great and indispensable informative video i could use part of that cable attached to some of my other spare bundles of power lead cables attached to my CB radio . oh, touching the cable i could use the oscilloscope attached to the cable and start touching it to see if i can see wave form on the oscilloscope ?
i see the gr speaker now serves as great paper weight in the background .

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for the video. Very interesting!

I have my gear in a credenza so routing the wires cleanly is challenging, and subject to entropy whenever a add or remove a component.
I'm not always in the mood to roll out the system (thankfully on wheels). I have made an effort to separate the signal and power cables, but it will never be pretty.
There will always be some proximity between power and signal cables.

About 5 years ago, I found cases some hiss and hum present were reduced when I moved to balanced cables.
I concluded that should just use balanced connections and buy well-made cables (Blue Jean) cabled and be done with it.
Hiss and hum have been greatly reduced or eliminated.
Does 60Hz hum resonate because it seems much more like a buzz than a bass note?

These days it is cheaper and easier to buy gear with properly implemented balanced connections, than try to solve the problem with kilo-bucks of cables.

- Rich

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Good feedback. Bonus is that it is easier for me to produce them as well.
Assuming one of the objectives is to bring new people into the fold, this is a very good format.

Edit: Not that you need more ideas for videos, but a similar short video on WHY we can characterize DAC performance exactly with measurements would probably get a lot of attention.

ayane

Forum Donor
Assuming one of the objectives is to bring new people into the fold, this is a very good format.
Agreed!

Short-format videos are all the rage among young folks, so having a quick "mind-blow" demo short with a lengthier video explanation may be an effective way to reach younger audiences. Source: am a zoomer, lol.

Also, I'd subscribe to the ASR patreon if we got videos of more advanced topics, like acoustics or using software like REW. There are amazing write-ups on the forum about those things, but showing is always easier to understand than telling

That starts really cutting into the core of audiophile misinformation and encourages people to try out tools instead

Keened

Forum Donor

This will probably help people understand what's happening a lot as well. Remember folks: all matter is an illusion and the only truly tangible forms in the universe are n-dimensional fields and the various ways-of-relation that dictate their coupling :)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This will probably help people understand what's happening a lot as well.
Thus guy is obsessed with explaining were energy is, intrinsically, and one doens't need to understand this to follow amir's explanations. In fact, this videos don't explain where the energy is either, but that's another story. IMHO, taking a look at Maxwell equations and Lorentz force is a better advice to understand what amir is showing.
Remember folks: all matter is an illusion and the only truly tangible forms in the universe are n-dimensional fields and the various ways-of-relation that dictate their coupling :)
:facepalm:

Keened

Forum Donor
Thus guy is obsessed with explaining were energy is, intrinsically, and one doens't need to understand this to follow amir's explanations. In fact, this videos don't explain where the energy is either, but that's another story. IMHO, taking a look at Maxwell equations and Lorentz force is a better advice to understand what amir is showing.

:facepalm:
The energy exists within the fields themselves to the best of my knowledge of the current consensus on Quantum Field Theory (he in fact talks about that a bit in the video). The phenomena we attribute to the fields (i.e. 'particles' and 'waves') are aberrations in the field(s) and carry a portion of the energy, but the energy is not inherent to the 'particles' themselves. This is one of the ways to also reconcile vacuum energy, virtual particles, etc. If you don't allow for this then you have to either abandon 'energy' or dramatically revamp your definition of it to something that is even more alien.

I'm not saying it's a satisfying way to interact with the universe, but if you insist on the universe conforming to what makes sense for humans you're going to be pretty far off what is.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Off topic a bit, curious to know what IEM's @amirm uses in this video. I'm in the market for some drop downs and would like to include these in my search if merited.

Thanks

garbz

At university in Electronics 101 you learn Ohms Law and Kirchhoff's Current Law and instantly know that an open power cord can't generate or accept interference.
In Electronics 102 you learn Maxwell's Equations and basically that everything you thought you knew from Electronics 101 was a lie. Also you remember that radio antennas are a thing which exist and do in fact work. :)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The energy exists within the fields themselves to the best of my knowledge of the current consensus on Quantum Field Theory (he in fact talks about that a bit in the video). The phenomena we attribute to the fields (i.e. 'particles' and 'waves') are aberrations in the field(s) and carry a portion of the energy, but the energy is not inherent to the 'particles' themselves. This is one of the ways to also reconcile vacuum energy, virtual particles, etc. If you don't allow for this then you have to either abandon 'energy' or dramatically revamp your definition of it to something that is even more alien.

I'm not saying it's a satisfying way to interact with the universe, but if you insist on the universe conforming to what makes sense for humans you're going to be pretty far off what is.
This is completely off-topic now, but I don't think nobody appearing on this video knows QFT. I believe their knowledge about fields is restricted about those explained in Jackson, so to speak. QFT is quite a deep subject, even for physics students. What I don't understand is why he skips solid state physics. A mean, it's explained here, you don't need all those fancy videos and advanced theories to get an idea. However, I insist, back on topic, neither of this is necessary to follow amir's video, classic EM is enough.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, I'd subscribe to the ASR patreon if we got videos of more advanced topics, like acoustics or using software like REW.
I was planning to do more focused tutorials for an upcoming series. Alas, the plans got detoured by all of this side issues. Do plan to get back to that soon.

ayane

Forum Donor
Remember folks: all matter is an illusion and the only truly tangible forms in the universe are n-dimensional fields and the various ways-of-relation that dictate their coupling :)
There are two types of people in audio: those who understand physics, and those who don't understand anything at all.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I was planning to do more focused tutorials for an upcoming series.

With the amount of comments ive read online stating “only listened to one speaker lol” I think an in-depth vid explaining why you do this with research data to back it up would probably help a few folk see the light.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
With the amount of comments ive read online stating “only listened to one speaker lol” I think an in-depth vid explaining why you do this with research data to back it up would probably help a few folk see the light.

Beyond this one?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Perhaps promote it to the top of every speaker review so newbies can inform themselves before they go in all guns blazing on the “lols”

ayane

Forum Donor
Perhaps promote it to the top of every speaker review so newbies can inform themselves before they go in all guns blazing on the “lols”
I second this opinion, but let's also acknowledge the unfortunate reality that there exist a large number of people to whom it does not matter. Science deniers are the exact same anywhere, whether it's in audio engineering, environmental science, or biotechnology - they plug up their ears to evidence and only swear by their lay opinion espoused by grifters.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Oh, it is the "throw-away" Panasonic RP-TCM-125-A. It is terrible without EQ but comes to life with one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../panasonic-rp-tcm125-review-budget-iem.22797/

We had a heat wave and I could not wear my over the ear headphones. Just too hot.
Thanks for the reply.

I just want decent wired drop down IEM's that don't need additional electronics and can be driven efficiently by Apple mobile devices.

I wouldn't think that would be a hard order to fill but alas....

Sorry to swing off topic.

Top Bottom