• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing of Streaming Services (Tidal, Apple, Amazon)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Against my earlier negative rant re Apple Music, I will say it is quite cool how I can upload stuff and stream it. Some rare CD or different mastering, rip it to my library, syncs and uploads. Very nice! Especially since I have much more listening time in the car than time by myself at home.
You can’t upload to Apple Music.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can’t upload to Apple Music.
Sure you can, I've done it many times. Let me clarify that stuff will only appear in MY account, I'm not uploading to their entire website. It's great for putting up rare items and listening to them while driving.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you’re confusing iTunes with Apple Music.

DeLub

This functionality is called iTunes Match and is available as a separate service. This functionality is also included in an Apple Music subscription.

Like @Head_Unit I’ve also uploaded a couple of my own cd’s that are not available in Apple Music. They now appear happily in my Apple Music library next to the albums that I added from the streaming library.

So yes, you can upload to Apple Music.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This functionality is called iTunes Match and is available as a separate service. This functionality is also included in an Apple Music subscription.

Like @Head_Unit I’ve also uploaded a couple of my own cd’s that are not available in Apple Music. They now appear happily in my Apple Music library next to the albums that I added from the streaming library.

So yes, you can upload to Apple Music.
You must be using a mac. That functionality is iTunes. Apple Music does not have "iTunes Match" because it is a separate product. You can have both.

DeLub

You must be using a mac. That functionality is iTunes. Apple Music does not have "iTunes Match" because it is a separate product. You can have both.
Yes I’m using a mac. I don’t have a subscription for iTunes Match. I do have a subscription for Apple Music. Like was said above: I can upload music that’s not available in Apple Music to Apple Music and play it on all my devices. That functionality is included in my Apple Music subscription. Just like head_unit explained.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So at some point you either bought music on iTunes or uploaded music to iCloud which is managed by iTunes. Yes that music will be available through your Apple Music app. The Apple Music app on a mac is a hybrid iTunes.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. Sounds like tomayto, tomahto.
Well the Apple Music app on your Mac does not run in exclusive mode so it only runs at one biterate / frequency it will not auto switch.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi Dennis,

Did all this comparisons with 5 different Sources (Spotify, Tidal, Amazon, Qobuz and Apple). With the exception of Spotify they all offer Cd quality and/or above. Deciding on one or two of the remaining four, came down to what user interface gave me the best recommendations and ease of use. If your spending more time searching instead of listening you can eliminate that service. In short order the best services for you should become evident. I made it more difficult than it needed to be. System interface ultimately was what was most important.

Good luck in your personal journey and search. Enjoy the ride.
Hi, not sure this is the best place or wether you are the best person, bit given your moderator status, beqr with me for a little while...I have tried streaming Tidal through my Motorola G9 plus using USB audio player pro in bit perfect out mode into my RME ADI2 Dac. It all works fine but i am not particularily impressed by the quality, and prefer the corresponding cd actually most of the times, even loosing the excellent EQ of the RME. Question is, USB pro player always shows 44,1 KHz sampling rate, and Kbps number under 1000, typically 700-900. I have hifi quality subscribed, and understand little about didgital data transfer, bu isn't cd quality suppposed to be at something like 1414 kbps? Please enlighten me, and thanks ...

telemike

I did it in a Dell Win10 from iTunes on laptop and sync to Apple Music

Top Bottom