• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing bass transmission

Richard Berg

Before diving too deep into soundproof construction, I want to measure the current state. In other words, it's time to blast something really loud and see how much it annoys the neighbors. (with fair warning)

Since I don't know the exact thickness / resonances of the concrete below me, the test needs to exercise the whole range of bass frequencies. But ideally (for my own sanity) we can do so with music rather than tone sweeps.

I have a pair of Rhythmik L22's so output / extension won't be the limiting factor here :) What tracks do you suggest?

OP
R

Richard Berg

I see lots of dead-tree publications recommending:

And many more this album (Pictures). Longtime fan of the Liszt, but for the Mussorgsky I'm only familiar with the Ravel orchestration, not the organ version -- anyone know which tracks crank the pedals?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
REW would allow you to do sweeps. Bass through the walls and ceiling is one issue; another is higher-frequency transmission through things like HVAC ducts. My media room has a concrete floor but walls and ceiling are floating double-thickness drywall with 6"~12" Rockwool behind and HVAC is from a minisplit so no ducts to the rest of the house.

Top Bottom