• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test: Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

jlo

Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

I am Igor Kirkwood, a French sound engineer, recording classical music with minimalistic techniques, natural acoustics, high quality microphones (mostly Neumann TLM 50), no DSP process in recording and mixing. I have also worked for the french hifi magazine DIAPASON, mainly reviewing loudspeakers.
A 10 years strong partnership with Jean-Luc Ohl for technical setup, programming and measurements, helped me to install an uncommon high-end monitoring system.

Some of my recordings

* Arvo Part, Deer's Cry, ECM records

* Music of "Ridicule", a movie of Patrice Leconte on DECCA label, recorded in 5.1 with a DECCA tree.

ridicule1.jpg
ridicule2.jpg

*The well known CHRISTUS REX soloist Herve Lamy, Jade/Universal

rex.jpg

*Bach’ s integral DDD of the organist André Isoir, edited by CALLIOPE, re-edited by LA DOLCE VOLTA

*Bartok, Music for piano strings percussion and celesta, with the Saint Petersburg Orchestra, CALLIOPE

Audio system

For my work (editing and mastering) but also for my pleasure, I need a very high quality audio system : neutral, powerful and versatile.
Jean-Luc Ohl, a talented engineer (from company 44.1) did the setup, QSC programming and all measurements analysis.

ecran1.jpg

The listening room is about 6m x 5m x 4m (120 cubic meters), high ceilings (3 m to 5.4 m), with few parallel walls, well treated with 2 to 10 cm rockwool on most walls (total of 4 cubic meters absorbing material). Measured reverberation time RT60 is 0.2s at 500 Hz and because the room is located in a very quiet place with no street nearby, its residual noise is low, 15.5 dB measured with NTI XL2 and class 1 microphone..

nti.jpg

tous.jpg

haut.jpg

Audio system details
  • 2 front active Yamaha NS 1000x with tweeters replaced by FOCAL Beryllium
  • 2 surround passive Yamaha NS 1000x
  • Central soundbar with 5 coaxial Kef Q900, center loudspeaker for treble and mid, near left and right for center bass (85 to 300 Hz), far left and right are unused for the time being
  • Multi-subs with 4 active subwoofers SVS PC2000 cylindrical 350 Watts
  • QSC QSys Core 110f processor, 8 inputs and 16 outputs configured for routing, FIR crossovers, 8192 taps FIR EQ and parametric EQ
  • total of 14 channels of class-D amplifiers from Rotel, Crown and Hypex
  • UHD players Sony 700 and Panasonic UB 9000
  • TV screen: LG OLED 8k 88 inches

Schematics

syno.jpg

1/ In-room MMM measurement without subs and without equalization, measured thanks to loudspeakers.audio method, score=7.3

mesures1.jpg

2/ Same MMM measurement with multi-subs and with FIR equalization score=8.8

mesures2.jpg

After this quick presentation, I’ll add technical details soon and explain some choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom