• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test Kali LP6 with step response and audio record example

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LP6 have a 6,5 inch speaker. the step resonse show it is very slow and i hear before i notice that it is the step response that transient sound worse and muddy and it have less stereo width. But test with other peoples show that there are people that did not hear less or more stereo width. so if you hear no diffrence in the atach audio example to mtm or eris 3.5 in stereo width you can be happy with the LP6. for me LP6 is worse and i use it now as subwoofer. the original audio is in the Eris 3.5 test
Kali FR.jpg
Kali LP 6 step response.jpg

Attachments

• lp6.zip
    618.5 KB · Views: 107

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The LP6 have a 6,5 inch speaker. the step resonse show it is very slow and i hear before i notice that it is the step response that transient sound worse and muddy and it have less stereo width. But test with other peoples show that there are people that did not hear less or more stereo width. so if you hear no diffrence in the atach audio example to mtm or eris 3.5 in stereo width you can be happy with the LP6. for me LP6 is worse and i use it now as subwoofer. the original audio is in the Eris 3.5 testView attachment 108502View attachment 108503

Did you try to linearise the phase with rephase or some other software? I don’t know about the stereo width specifically, but you should be able to improve the transient response, even if just a little bit.

OP
B

bennybbbx

I try mfreeformphase. but it do not make hear diffrence when draw a curve that should correct the measured curve. I can not measure how it look with correction, because REW do not allow VST effects. We need a VST effect that can measure step response to do that

dominikz

Forum Donor
I try mfreeformphase. but it do not make hear diffrence when draw a curve that should correct the measured curve. I can not measure how it look with correction, because REW do not allow VST effects. We need a VST effect that can measure step response to do that
You can make measurements with REW through VSTs if you'd like - I did that a lot while testing DRC SW.
One way is to use a VB Audio Cable + e.g. Pedalboard2 to load systemwide VST (use e.g. windows audio drivers in both), and then use the Java driver in REW to do the measurement, pointing the output to VB Audio Cable device input.
I would not advise to use ASIO drivers as they can take exclusive control of the device so can make if difficult to arrange this kind of routing.

So general flow would be:
REW output (Java driver) > VB Audio Cable (windows audio driver) > Pedalboard2 with desired VST > Output Device > Loudspeaker > Mic > REW input (i.e. microphone input device)

the step resonse show it is very slow and i hear before i notice that it is the step response that transient sound worse and muddy and it have less stereo width
Are you sure the 'muddiness' doesn't just come as result of the FR differences between the Presonus and Kali measurements you posted?
From the FR measurement it seems in your room Kali has a peak around 180Hz that is stronger than with the Presonus, and in addition the Presonus has a dip between 200-500Hz. Seems those two differences would be quite audible.

OP
B

bennybbbx

You can make measurements with REW through VSTs if you'd like - I did that a lot while testing DRC SW.
One way is to use a VB Audio Cable + e.g. Pedalboard2 to load systemwide VST (use e.g. windows audio drivers in both), and then use the Java driver in REW to do the measurement, pointing the output to VB Audio Cable device input.
I would not advise to use ASIO drivers as they can take exclusive control of the device so can make if difficult to arrange this kind of routing.

So general flow would be:
REW output (Java driver) > VB Audio Cable (windows audio driver) > Pedalboard2 with desired VST > Output Device > Loudspeaker > Mic > REW input (i.e. microphone input device)

Are you sure the 'muddiness' doesn't just come as result of the FR differences between the Presonus and Kali measurements you posted?
From the FR measurement it seems in your room Kali has a peak around 180Hz that is stronger than with the Presonus, and in addition the Presonus has a dip between 200-500Hz. Seems those two differences would be quite audible.

I have correct LP6 in other tests but stereo width and worse transients are always in. this let the distortion sound muddy. there can eq it that it sound not muddy but then sounds with less amplitude jumps as distortion guitar sound too high mid boost. there is a thread with corrected FR and audio examples on all speakers so that they sound more simular in FR. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-sound-in-the-attached-mp3.18401/#post-615713 seem it is hard to build large speakers that are fast.

seem presonus developer hear diffrence and build fast speakers even with 8 zoll. the sceptre have fast transients too

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-compared-to-neumann-kh120.18666/#post-623152

thanks the suggestion with the vb audio cable i try. i thought it do not work because of large latency, but if you get it work, then it should work. vb audio cable do not work good for me(often crackle) but equalizer APO is a system wide and VST can use and work for me with windows sound. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I have correct LP6 in other tests but stereo width and worse transients are always in. this let the distortion sound muddy.

In my sample of one (KH120+sub), I found that linearizing the phase improved several metrics: bass distortion, impulse, step, ETC, waterfall, wavelet transform spectrogram, and even the magnitude at the two xo points by a teeny-tiny bit.

It’s worth a shot: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hase-distortion-abx-testing.18709/post-659816

OP
B

bennybbbx

I think best is when have group delay view of speakers too. I notice that Kali sound ok in stereo width and depth of field now buy just compensate a group delay error at 650 hz with EQ. group delay is very sensible to room. I notice when measure at a distance less than 12 cm look ok and duplicatable on diffrent measure places. I do this at 8 cm distance to be on safe side.

ki no eq.jpg

with 650 hz eq correct.jpg
eq settings for kali.jpg

here is the mdat file for REW, both measures are in with and without EQ. there is also a older file with measure 1.5 cm away. it was on diffrent position but the 650 hz problem is same. this eq fix do realy alot. diffrence can good hear songs with a good room. for example

in 1 min 35 sec for example

EDIT 2. there is measure on high stative. woofer look even more worse, but tweeter is better

Attachments

• kali with 650 hz correct.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • kali 1.5 cm 1_12.mdat.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • kali high stative 8 cm with and without EQ 2.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Top Bottom