• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Test: I'm having a slight issue that requires expertise ...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you have your data backed up, could try cooling it down too. If the part is failing it may be overheating and you might extend it a bit more. At the very least, it may give you another data point if it is a hardware issue or not.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I think the lesson to learn here is to make sure you back up your data elsewhere. There is always a chance that any computing device can suffer a catastrophic failure at any time..

What sort of files have you got on there that you need to move? There are multiple ways to do this.

Like anyone who has files; family pictures, nature pictures, articles, notes, ...all that stuff you have on your tablet ... your apps, some music files, your appointments, your groceries, ... the stuff you like.

I can insert a card and transfer them to it, and then do a hard reset.
I can try updating the Galaxy apps (update software) first to see.
And I think that's what I'll try first.

I was hoping, still hoping that someone uses a tablet, and has experienced what I've shown here.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I spent few hours today exploring the easiest solution, but it's not easy because no two devices have the same content, the same issues, the same owners, ...
I'm taking snapshots to show best what I'm experiencing.
I did not expect to do this today but I'm ok with it because it sets me free from the news, from a pandemic, from the political circus, ... all good.

And, there is this I found to see the sun through the smoke, for fun ...

https://daringtolivefully.com/reboot-your-life

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I agree with john that looks like a hardware problem. My nexus five had a similar issues. Required replacing the flex cable that connects the usb plug and mic to the main board.

GeorgeBynum

* Do they make tablets that last more than two years?
My first, a Google Nexus, gave me 4 years of good service before it had too little processing power to keep up with things. My present iPad 4 mini is going strong at 2.5 years. I'd rather have an Android tablet, but Samsung's permanent crapware is something I won't have, and I didn't see any reputable manufacturers' models.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
My first, a Google Nexus, gave me 4 years of good service before it had too little processing power to keep up with things. My present iPad 4 mini is going strong at 2.5 years. I'd rather have an Android tablet, but Samsung's permanent crapware is something I won't have, and I didn't see any reputable manufacturers' models.
I'm still using a nexus as a streamer for music.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I did the Software Update (Galaxy Apps) this morning; it did not resolve the issue (screen picture breaking up, slight flickering, ...) unfortunately.

20201005_113714.jpg
20201005_113911.jpg

I searched some more ...

"If the problem persists, restart your device in Safe mode.

If the flickering stops when you are running your device in Safe mode, it could mean that the issue is being caused by a bug with one of the apps that you have downloaded. Find out which app is causing the problem and uninstall it. Start by uninstalling the most recent app you downloaded before the problem started. Repeat until the flickering stops.

If the flickering persists even in Safe mode, it is likely the issue is hardware rather than software-related. If this is the case, contact your nearest Service Centre."

I'm not sure that Safe Mode will fix it?

I cleared all apps cache. I'm starting to think that a new tablet is my best bet...iPad the latest one? Black Friday is coming up, next month...we'll see roughly a 20% discount on some Apple products, including iPads. Or should I get an Android tablet from Samsung?
$500 max is my target. $300 minimum (Canadian dollars). In USD, between $200 and $350 roughly.

Also, I would love a tablet that can last 4-5 years without major issues like the issue I have right now on my Samsung. Do they make some of those, which company?

I know, those are tough questions...but it's a test, in the testing area...the perfect spot to ask. It's like taking a test for the virus...that's important when not knowing and uncertain.
A tablet is in some ways a similar concern. The more testing the more we know.

GeorgeBynum

Of the 2 major brands, you can get the Samsung Tab A in 8" for about USD150, the 10" for about USD200, or the iPad 10" current version for about USD350. THESE PRICES ASSUME WiFi only, no cellular radio. I like neither, but dislike Samsung more than Apple FOR MY USE. There are numerous more out there; search WalMart or Amazon.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of the 2 major brands, you can get the Samsung Tab A in 8" for about USD150, the 10" for about USD200, or the iPad 10" current version for about USD350. THESE PRICES ASSUME WiFi only, no cellular radio. I like neither, but dislike Samsung more than Apple FOR MY USE. There are numerous more out there; search WalMart or Amazon.

Have had Amazon, Samsung and Apple. Amazon was by far the best deal, and Apple has been the most reliable. Apple has also supported updates to IOS longer than any of my Android tablets. My Samsung tablet is about as old as my iPad Air 2 and is no longer getting updated (Android 7) by Samsung or Google. Wish I could say the same for Apple phones. ;)

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’ve always bought the cheapest iPad. Had my current one over five years, no issues. I use it for interfacing with the internet. For valuable files, I maintain a home network that isn’t connected to the internet and run Windows 7 and 10, thus avoiding updates.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

You are right; I don't need and don't want cellular radio (cell phone with SIM card).
Tab A, no...it has to be a higher model...Tab S Series, or an iPad (32GB).
I'm thinking Black Friday, and roughly $350-500 Canadian dollars, best bang for the buck.
Durable (4-5 years).

I searched already, I'm testing other's experiences and opinions.

So, which portable device with a 10 inch screen you like best?
That's the size I want, not smaller but it could go to 12-13" if light enough to hold in one hand any amount of time without physical pain.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I’ve always bought the cheapest iPad. Had my current one over five years, no issues. I use it for interfacing with the internet. For valuable files, I maintain a home network that isn’t connected to the internet and run Windows 7 and 10, thus avoiding updates.

The one I have right now is about $140 US (Tab E 9.6").
Which one you use without issues for over 5 years?

My main use is for World fun.
For everything else I use other devices...Windows 10.
This is tablet test. If I can't fix with help of science folks I just buy another one, for twice the money this one I'm using cost. Maybe it'll last twice the time?

Tom C

Major Contributor
The one I have right now is about $140 US (Tab E 9.6").
Which one you use without issues for over 5 years?

My main use is for World fun.
For everything else I use other devices...Windows 10.
This is tablet test. If I can't fix with help of science folks I just buy another one, for twice the money this one I'm using cost. Maybe it'll last twice the time?
iPad Air 2. Model A1566, available from October 2014 through March 2017. Think I paid US$450, but long enough ago that I don’t quite remember for sure.
Prior to that, every new iPad generation brought desirable features. Since I last bought, every new iPad had new features I didn’t want, so I never bothered. Originally, the lack of fluff and bloat was the major draw. Now it’s so overstuffed with extraneous worthless crap that I prefer my old one.

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an iPad Air 2 also—model A1567 in fact.

I have had multiple Samsung tablets and multiple iPads. My 1st gen Ipad became too slow and that’s gone. Otherwise, while my Samsungs are in a junk heap somewhere, the iPads still get daily use. Like right now. :) I have one older iPad where apps and data I don’t use automatically get offloaded into the cloud so I can continue to use it. That’s pretty nice. The Samsungs are nice when I buy them, and cheaper for the same performance, and glitzier, but they last me way less than half the time of a corresponding iPad, FWIW.

Same thing for me with LG vs. Samsung monitors and TVs, btw. . . for me the LGs stand the test of time for quality and reliability but it seems like there’s always some kind of problem with the Samsung. Software glitch, display glitch, connector glitch, switching glitch, something. So I’m sitting here with my iPad and watching an LG TV.

Based on looking at Apple announcements now and then, I believe even the most basic current iPad is much more capable than an iPad Air 2. Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Just one person‘s experience, one data point, FWIW.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm tilting towards iPad more. The newest one when it came up (32GB) was only $350 Canadian on sale. Regular I believe was $400-430. That was just a year ago roughly.
@ that time my tablet was still functioning good, so I didn't bother.
But now we can see for ourselves my issue...not very nice.
Yes I would love to fix it, that's why I decided to test if anyone would come up with a fix.

I'm open to all opinions and suggestions and so far so good.
One thing I like about the tablet I'm using right now is the battery life...12 hours.

It's either the iPad (9.7") or Galaxy S series (10"). ...For now.

But I'm disappointed a little by Samsung. But then, the S Series have generally excellent reviews, and so the iPads (usually rated top best).

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm tilting towards iPad more. The newest one when it came up (32GB) was only $350 Canadian on sale. Regular I believe was $400-430. That was just a year ago roughly.
@ that time my tablet was still functioning good, so I didn't bother.
But now we can see for ourselves my issue...not very nice.
Yes I would love to fix it, that's why I decided to test if anyone would come up with a fix.

I'm open to all opinions and suggestions and so far so good.
One thing I like about the tablet I'm using right now is the battery life...12 hours.

It's either the iPad (9.7") or Galaxy S series (10"). ...For now.

But I'm disappointed a little by Samsung. But then, the S Series have generally excellent reviews, and so the iPads (usually rated top best).

If you have not already done so, in your place I would focus on saving all the files and other data on the tablet to an SDCard or some other device, as the first priority. Then I would try the restart in Safe Mode as tech support advised, to distinguish between a software problem and a hardware problem. If it turns out to be a software problem, the suggested fix sounds easy - just uninstall the offending app, and your tablet may start working well again. If it turns out to be a hardware problem (screen corruption occurs even in Safe Mode), then you would need to look into getting a new tablet. I am just reminding you of what was posted by you or others already, not suggesting anything new.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Less than two months for a new tablet in my arsenal...iPad most likely (90%+).
Meanwhile my laptop is not acting up; so I'm not sweating it one ounce, not even one gram. This tablet was cheap ($200 Canadian), now I know why it was cheap.

You get what you pay for, but not always.

Thank you to all, the department of engineering staff, the scientist experts abroad, my family, my Mom (she uses an iPad now), and God bless you all, the whole world and beyond.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[Also, I would love a tablet that can last 4-5 years without major issues like the issue I have right now on my Samsung. Do they make some of those, which company?]
I'm using a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 16GB. 2016 model. Still going 4.5 years and counting. It's either the luck of the draw or the personal relationship you've established with your electronics that determines longevity.

Top Bottom